Author Topic: Duo laser lens complete info.  (Read 290 times)

SNKNostalgia

Duo laser lens complete info.
« on: August 23, 2007, 12:51:11 PM »
OK, I have two Hop-M3 lenses for my Duo US system. I replace one of them and it makes a nice annoying whirling sound but seems to work well. The other lens doesn't load up anything and the disc spin motor goes light speed and then stops trying. I got these from electronix.com site and it seems to come in a different cardboard box than what Team Fremont Duo repair site has in its pictures. The box is just regular cardboard with some Chinese text I believe. Could be Japanese, I will take pictures soon.

Now what screws do what for adjustment? There are only two of them. 1) the metal screw on the bottom of the lens which seems to adjust the laser itself. 2) The big white plastic screw to the right of the wire harness connections, this I have no idea what it does.

Any other adjustments like on the PCB of the Duo itself would be nice to know.

Platinumfungi

Re: Duo laser lens complete info.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 11:09:41 AM »
The pot on the laser is the white "screw" to the right of the wire harness connection. Make a mark for reference and only turn it about 1/8th of a turn per test. Hopefully you have a DMM? I'm sure you can adjust it without one but it's much easier with.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 02:37:56 PM »
I got a Digital Multimeter somewhere if that is what you mean with DMM. What values am I looking for when adjusting. I thought you need an oscillator to adjust a lens correctly. Thanks for letting me know what the white screw is. After all this time I thought the screw on the bottom of the lens was the one to do this with.

Platinumfungi

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 03:40:40 PM »
Yep, DMM = digital multi meter. You'll be measuring the resistance in ohms on your meter.  I asked awhile back what an appropriate setting should be on the laser and everyone seemed to think I was crazy :D They said that all of them will be different and that you'll just have to do trial and error. Mark your original spot and slightly turn the pot. Test it out, then repeat as necessary.

I'd suggest getting a reading off of a laser you have that works, then use that as a possible base for the other non working laser. I would assume there is a range that the laser should be in, but I don't think anyone here knows...

EDIT: I just tweaked a laser I thought was bad to 545 and it's working fine now. Another laser that works 100% is at 549. Again, not sure if you'll find the ratings of any use, but for me it's working.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 03:24:15 AM by Red Ghost »