Author Topic: TG-CD Hangups  (Read 371 times)

kid_rondeau

TG-CD Hangups
« on: September 02, 2007, 03:26:08 AM »
I was playing Valis III today and after I beat the first stage, the screen went black and the CD kept spinning, but nothing ever loaded up. I waited for about three minutes to see if it was just somekind of TG-CD brain fart, but I eventually gave up and shut off the system.

Well, apparently I shouldn't have killed the power during the between-stage-automatic-game-save, because when I powered back on, lo and behold, all of my save files were gone!

This would have bothered me a lot more a few years ago, but I've since come to accept that periodic data dumps are just a consequence of owning a system like this.

Anyway, since I had lost all of my save files, I decided it couldn't hurt to reformat the memory, just to have a clean slate, so to speak.

After formatting, I started a new game of Valis III, and this time, everything worked perfectly, and the load times were as quick as I've ever seen them!

I'm not so great with computer communications. Does anyone know for sure if formatting the system every now and again is good for it? If so, I'm thinking of getting one of those Tennokoe banks to back up my save files, and just formatting my system once a year.

Have any of you had similar experiences on your Duos?

SNKNostalgia

Re: TG-CD Hangups
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 09:27:17 AM »
It can't hurt that is for sure. Formatting it once in a while is a good idea just in case there is some data corruption from save files which can rarely happen. The tennokoe bank is worth every penny, I am getting one soon myself.

I would definitely turn off my TG if a CD takes longer than 20 seconds to load. With my Duo if that happens, I would open the door just enough to detect the door being open and then I shut it. It tends to work on a hang up when loading.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 09:50:03 AM »
Formating your save space isn't going to do shit for you. You should get a Ten no Koe though, they are essential.

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 10:42:29 AM »
Youch, thanks for sharing that tip. Whenever my Duo freezes during loadings like that, I give it a tap or even kind of wiggle the system around and funny enough it usually loads the game!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 12:53:22 PM »
Agreed with Keran00 and Zeta.

When my TG-CD freezes, it is because the system is stupid and forgets that it is playing a game.  So you have to lightly tap or bump it to get it to remember.  It will wake up and finish loading and then you you can continue with the fine experience that is Valis III.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 06:11:48 AM »
Agreed with Keranu, SignOfZeta, and Joe.  Whenever my Duo's laser gets lost, I chuck an empty bottle of Johnnie at it and it starts right up and loads the correct track.  Tennokoe Banks are cheap and quite handy at protecting those precious Fighting Street high scores, so get one now.  Hell, get two just for gits and shiggles.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles