Author Topic: Who so far has installed a jrok in a PCE, and how did it go?  (Read 393 times)

SignOfZeta

Who so far has installed a jrok in a PCE, and how did it go?
« on: September 08, 2007, 07:25:49 AM »
I know that D-Lite has done this, but he didn't give much detail other than "it worked".

I'm looking for info or feedback (pictures would be great) on installing a jrock (4.1) RGB to NTSC encoder in a PCE. Is there any issue with dimness? Will the board fit inside a Duo R nicely?

I'm thinking about making an enclosure for a 4.1 jrok, and installing d-subs on some of my systems like my white PCE, and Duo R. That way I can still use it as a supergun component, and maybe for my Saturn, etc. At $80 a pop (something like that) I don't think I can afford one for all my systems. Also, would this this even fit inside a white PCE?

Michael Helgeson

Re: Who so far has installed a jrok in a PCE, and how did it go?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 11:27:31 AM »
Ask Gutts too.

GUTS

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 05:51:39 AM »
The board will fit in a Duo R, but yeah like you said $80 is a lot for each individual system, although if you don't need S-Video you can get a cheaper one for about $65.  I just bought a little plastic enclosure from radio shack and mounted generic ports on it so I can use it for all my systems.  I could never get the turbo to work with mine though, I don't know how DLite did it, although I didn't buy the one that had S-Video so maybe that works (like Grahf's awesome svideo board that did work flawlessly).  The Jrok is actually pretty tiny, about maybe 2 inches by 4, give or take half an inch.

D-Lite

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 03:49:56 PM »
Sorry for lack of details on my findings with the board.  Just haven't had time to write anything up.  I'll give some details here.

JROK S-Video doesn't work and no one has seemed to solve this. No matter what form of JROK encoder.  James himself hasn't figured it out.

The component works but I've found that the red seems to be too strong, at least on the first system I've done.  I have the end user trying to work it out too since he has tech knowledge and multiple TVs to test with and we're trying to get to the solution together on this.  The board fits fine in the DuoR, but would fit at all in the Core family of systems.  The board would have to be smaller than 1.5" x 2" to fit at all comfortably and can't have any large caps.  I think I could squeeze one of my S-Video boards in but haven't tried.  I'm going to be putting a PCB together too with grahf's help and hopefully do some of those.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 04:25:43 PM »
The jrok I'm looking at has individual pots for each hue. Can't that solve the red issue, or are you using a version without them?

D-Lite

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 05:05:30 PM »
The jrok I'm looking at has individual pots for each hue. Can't that solve the red issue, or are you using a version without them?
The version has them (all of them do I believe) and I made it such that they are adjustable when the system is on and the cover is attached.  It's still not correct for the encoder, so the input is probably either too high or something similar.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

GUTS

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 12:07:48 PM »
That's the exact same problem I had.