Author Topic: "Gate of Thunder" High Scores  (Read 5088 times)

blueraven

Re: "Gate of Thunder" High Scores
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2011, 07:08:44 AM »
I basically can get to Dark City without dying, 9 or 10 lives, the I usually wipe on that level (6?).
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Tatsujin

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2011, 11:43:29 AM »
Ceti. Ah, so you cleared it but didn't 1cc'd it?
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ceti alpha

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2011, 03:50:58 PM »
Ceti. Ah, so you cleared it but didn't 1cc'd it?

Yeah, I cleared it with a couple of credits. I can make it to about stage 4 or 5 (I forget, exactly) without dying and then I poop teh bed. lol

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

geise

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2011, 03:50:58 AM »
I still want to know how I'm still 60k short.  Maybe I need to play it on hard to get more points?

BTW guys I used to suck total ass at this game when I first got my Duo.  It has always been one of my favs on the Duo so I played it constantly for over a decade.  Haha total dedication.  I bet you guys are better now than when I was first playing this game after a while.  Keep it up!

ceti alpha

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2011, 05:03:28 AM »
I still want to know how I'm still 60k short.  Maybe I need to play it on hard to get more points?

BTW guys I used to suck total ass at this game when I first got my Duo.  It has always been one of my favs on the Duo so I played it constantly for over a decade.  Haha total dedication.  I bet you guys are better now than when I was first playing this game after a while.  Keep it up!

It's amazing what practice can do, in anything. I always find it funny how some thing can seem almost impossible, but once you know what to do you look back and wonder why you found it so difficult. heh

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

SignOfZeta

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2011, 06:20:07 AM »
Lol ceti, why so low? You're a master of mastering games.

haha. I appreciate the confidence in my gaming ability.  :lol: I just haven't been playing too much of it - only enough to clear it.

I'm a long way from attempting what geise pulled off with his one life clear. That's pretty intense.  :shock:

I've only ever one life cleared this game. Once you die you lose too much of your power and it only gets harder. I can continue all night, but it I couldn't do it with a maxed out ship then how am I going to do it with a little pea shooter?

Well, this is the case with Pulstar, R Type, and other memorization based shooters anyway. Honestly I've been playing GoT for so long that I probably could clear it starting from the last level with a base ship. In general though, its not easy!

BTW, just to clarify, I once said this same thing about Lot (that I only one life clear it) and it was misconstrued as some kind of boast. Just to make the point clear, I'm saying that its easier to one life clear the game that it is to continue. If I were a "heavy metal shooting God" then I could start from anywhere.

nat

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2011, 11:03:59 AM »

If I were a "heavy metal shooting God" then I could start from anywhere.

Hahaha, I wonder how many people are still around here that might actually get that joke. Me, Necromancer, and...... ? guyjin?

HyperionAlpha

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »

Overall Score (Normal Mode)

#1 Shubibiman: 1,770,100
#2 Elnino: 1,760,800
#3 geise: 1,727,800 - 1 Life Clear
#4 Keranu: 1,642,900
#5 Tatsujin: 1,458,500
#6 rag-time4: 526,000
#7 blueraven: 485,100
#8 ceti_alpha: 438,900

This is hitting the wayback machine here, and no, I don't have a screenshot to post. Yet. But all of these scores are extremely low. In order to max out your score for this game you NEED to play it on Devil mode. If you do this, scores on the order of 2.3 to 2.6 million are commonplace on a 1CC game. From there, if you strategically hold your fire in order to build up enemies onscreen, particularly with ones that fire missiles and such which you can destroy for additional points, then you can amass scores from 2.7 to 2.9 million. I learned this way, way back in the day when playing this game on Normal or even on Hard mode had turned into a cakewalk.

Late in 1994, I was playing this game on a lark at a friend's place, not serious about it or anything, but just playing using the strategy that I laid out above as it was more challenging that way. When I finished, after the multiplier totaled up the score, I had broken 3 million points. I had literally attempted to do that for half a year and was beginning to believe that it might be impossible, all of my best scores were always over 2.9 million. I jumped up and bounced off the walls for a good five minutes. But I had no camera and no Tennokoe Bank, which would have been more ideal than a screenshot for me. It took me a few months to save up and locate a Tennokoe Bank to buy from the good ol' Turbolist, and by the time I had received it from Japan, my friend had pawned his TurboDuo in order to pay his rent.

I guess now I need to buckle down again and put up the proof, yeah?

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2014, 02:49:27 AM »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:51:17 AM by PunkicCyborg »
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2014, 03:21:30 AM »
I guess now I need to buckle down again and put up the proof, yeah?

Yeah! Put up or shut up! Don't give me any of that "oooh, but i have a new baaaaay-beeeee" BS.  You owe us a 3 mil score by the end of the day, or you bring dishonor to your family.

Yeah pics or you made that all up :P
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

deubeul

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2014, 06:15:18 AM »
I scored 2 984 700 pts on GOT (validated on Necstasy forums), but the pic is gone. ( This one 's still there, but i lost ~10 lives on it)

All that to say that i think you have to destroy absolutely all the ennemies and all the projectiles they shoot at you to break the 3M.

HyperionAlpha

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2014, 09:03:43 AM »
Thank you, someone please update the OP, any real high score for this game is going to be done on Devil mode and you are just not going to get over 2 million without it. I am still practicing and sucking hard just to get close to where I was with this game when I was 22. The 3 million barrier is crazy. And I had it down to a science with allowing the missile-firing enemies to flood the screen with their fire before laying waste, but still only got 2.8/2.9 million scores almost every game, for AGES. Destroying all the enemies is easy, destroying every projectile they can fire at you while still allowing them enough time on-screen to fire them all? That is tough, very tough.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:11:31 AM by HyperionAlpha »

deubeul

« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2014, 01:20:35 AM »
Agree, plus destroying bosses' projectiles gives no point.

jtucci31

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2015, 09:01:52 AM »
Bumping this old thread just to get my high score in!

1,602,900 on Normal

deubeul

« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2015, 10:55:34 AM »
Hi guys!

While checking my old SD cards, I found back the pic of the scores I made on GOT something like 2 years ago. ( Please tell me it's still valid, don't have the courage to do it again  :mrgreen:):

Devil mode, 1 life, 2984700.