Author Topic: "GALAXY FIGHT" by Sunsoft  (Read 662 times)

MotoRoaderMike

"GALAXY FIGHT" by Sunsoft
« on: October 12, 2007, 04:14:07 PM »
Well apparently, isn't exactly known for fighting games, but in 1995, they did release a fighting game, and I wouldn't say it's an all-time classic, but it certainly is enjoyable considering a time where was at an all-time low. was kicking ass in the late 80's with their library of games for the NES, but they took a wrong turn in the early 90's, and started going downhill. I've been on a big kick for the last several weeks, and one day, I was looking for a good game I never played, and I came across this game:

Which was released for the Neo Geo and the Sega Saturn. Most of the characters are boring, but the game is surprisingly fun to play. I especially like that girl, Juri, because she's hot, and wears that sexy black leather.  8) Would be cool if Kane Gardner was in Galaxy Fight and had the music from the first area of "Chou Wakusei Senki Metafight" as his level theme. Or if they had made a sequel, they could've put him in and given him that music, because he's awesome. I liked this game enough to go out and buy a copy of the game for the Saturn. WE MISS YOU, SUNSOFT!!!!!

Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

Keranu

Re: "GALAXY FIGHT" by Sunsoft
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:20:57 PM »
Great post, but I don't really remember anything about this game. I'll have to play it again.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 04:38:07 PM »
Sorry i see galaxy fight as a train wreck i had it once for the aes.

The game is rather brutal on it's difficulty beside it's hit detection.

If any thing galaxy fight is just another broken fighter.

If you wanna play a good fighter by sunsoft go try waku waku 7.

Btw galaxy fight,has good character designs but still the game is just weak.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 04:39:57 PM by TRON »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

WoodyXP

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 04:43:52 PM »

Word WW7 is a great game... and it's been said that it's a sequal to Galaxy Fight... but I don't
see how.  :?:

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 04:55:21 PM »
Sunsoft made three fighters during this period, all of which are on Saturn. Galaxy Fight is pretty nice. Its certainly not Street Fighter Zero 2-grade, but its a fun distraction. I really love the line scrolling on that one water level. I also like the fact that there aren't any walls. Again, walls are good, but change is also good.

Waku Waku 7 is way better. It requires the 1MB RAM (or 4MB if you have it) cart. Its twice as good as Galaxy Fight. It was also originally for Neo Geo.

The third game is Astra Super Stars. It was originally an ST-V game, and has a few graphical elements that make its non-Neo Geo-ness obvious (mainly sprite warping). Developed by a group called Santa Claus, that does nothing but mobile now, I think. Its a pretty huge departure from the other two. Its also much more expensive ($100+ if you can find it at all, whereas the others are about $5, and $15) which sucks because I didn't realize that was going to happen when I sold it ages ago. Its a fighting game where everyone flies, so instead of just being able to jump up, you can also jump down. It has really wacky characters. At the time my friends and I considered it the best Dragon Ball game ever made that wasn't actually a Dragon Ball games. There is a dude with a cape named Lettuce though, which is about as Dragon Ball as possible.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 04:57:29 PM by SignOfZeta »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 04:58:35 PM »

Word WW7 is a great game... and it's been said that it's a sequal to Galaxy Fight... but I don't
see how.  :?:

Well, they both have Bonus-kun in them...that's about it.

nodtveidt

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 05:13:49 PM »
Galaxy Fight is complete crap IMO. Waku Waku 7 is completely awesome, again IMO.

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 05:20:01 PM »
Yeah Waku Waku 7 kicks ass.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 06:06:11 PM »
I totally love Galaxy Fight. I also have no probs with it being hard as hell,I can beat it anyway. Def one I my fav MVS carts I own. As nice as Waku Waku 7 is,I like Galaxy Fight more. The Saturn ports is tops too,nice remixed music tracks. I think it was also released for Ps1 in Japan.

MotoRoaderMike

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 03:38:29 AM »
I totally love Galaxy Fight. I also have no probs with it being hard as hell,I can beat it anyway.

Yeah, I mean, just because a game is hard doesn't mean it sucks!

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 01:17:59 PM »
Alot of people hated Galaxy Fight because it didn't allow turtling up or cornering and it was very fast paced. You had no way to hide in or abuse the left or right side of the screen. You either had to do cat and mouse tactics,or head on all out brutal brawls.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 04:08:57 PM »
This game rules (and Roomi is hot), but Waku Waku 7 pwns this (and Arina is hotter).

I know it seems like I'm this site's whore, but seriously, they f*cking know EVERYTHING:

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sunsoftfighters/sunsoftfighters.htm

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 05:23:51 PM »
Yea,they do know alot,but not everything,and their rundown of Galaxy Fight sucks. They seem to totally miss the fact the characters in Galaxy Fight were supposed to be obscure as hell,OR silly,and the obvious fact Musafar is inspired by Kain in Robocop 2. The game never needed to make its mind up,it was doing both,silly,serious. Its a fighting game,not a epic movie.

They whine about the play control:weak, medium, and heavy attacks???
because you're not sure which of said attacks are punchs and kicks
The simple answer to this is to actually play the damn game long enough to figure out that not everyone plays the exact same way and some characters use more kick type attacks then punch ones and vise versa.

How is that hard to figure out???? If this was hard for them I can only imagine how much Kim Kap Hwan or the Real Bout series made them cry. And they,like most,whine and moan about the game being too hard. This makes me wonder,whats better at that time,a completely way too easy fighter like SF Alpha 1-2 that can easily be beaten on 1 credit by about anyone with OK skills at fighters,or Galaxy Fight which requires you to became more then just a average skilled player in order to complete it.

I don't think Galaxy Fight IS for everyone,but it is def not as bad as people say it is,and most of the complaints are only over exaggerated ones drawn up from the REAL fact that these people just simply cant play the game,cause they are not good at it and that it is indeed hard.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 05:27:40 PM by Michael Helgeson »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 07:13:02 PM »
Yea,they do know alot,but not everything,

They also say that Astra Superstars requires the 4MB cart, which it doesn't. It will run with either 1MB, or 4MB carts, or none at all from what I remember, and I had the hardest time figuring out what the enhancements were.

Also, while the backgrounds are blocky in the SS version, they are pretty damn blocky in the Neo Geo one as well. The difference is slight. The Geo one has more animation in the backgrounds though for sure, although you won't notice that in every stage. In Rai's stage its really obvious, but in most stages its not anything you'd detect in normal play.

Also, I've never played the Geo one to the end, but I always thought that the slowdown in the fight against Fernadeath was done on purpose. Since you are grown the kaiju size, I assumed that was kaiju slowdown. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

EDIT: The Geo one doesn't slow down at all in the Fernandeath fight. I just checked it in MAME.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 07:54:42 AM by SignOfZeta »

MotoRoaderMike

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 04:32:04 PM »
I can't wait 'til I get my Saturn copy in the mail! I mailed out the payment for it yesterday!  :mrgreen: