Author Topic: what about working designs?  (Read 907 times)

Keranu

Re: what about working designs?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 08:01:17 PM »
Oh hell yes, there better be WINDJAMMERS!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Neo Rasa

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 11:24:47 AM »

Still any chance of telenet titles to be on the vc is impossible now.

Not impossible. I just realized-- Data East has been out of business for a number of years now. They went bankrupt in a similar situation in, like, 2003.

Yet somehow we have a bunch of Data East games on VC... The rights apparently were secured from a company I've never heard of called "G-Mode."

SOMEONE must be able to secure the rights to Telenet's library at which time VC re-releases wouldn't be out of the question.
I know what happen to dataeast afther they went bankrupt G-mode got there ips.

G-mode makes games for cell phones in japan.

I'm sure nintendo gave,G-mode some $$ so they could have there titles for the vc.

I would assume snkp would have to pay g-mode as well if,they want (Wind Jammers, Magical Drop 2&3,Karnov Revenge etc on the vc.

They can probably make it happen through SNK.  Data East's properties have been somewhat prolific in unlikely ways.  Trio the Punch: Never Forget Me got released as a standalone PS2 game.  There's a Fatal Fury vs. Fighter's History cell phone game, and Mizoguchi (the protagonist of Fighters History series and a few others) is a playable character in King of Fighters: Maximum Impact Rgulation A-2 (say it ten times fast).

nodtveidt

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 05:49:29 AM »
Generally speaking, when a company goes under, the IP of the company is put up for auction by the holder(s). I still remember the huge Akklaim IP auction, there were quite a few I wanted but never bid on. If I can find an auction for Telnet, I'll post the information here. Someone actually in Japan might have better luck finding it though. Then again, the IP may have been retained by the corporate owner, and if that's the case, then he/she can do whatever they want with it, including destroying it so its history is all but erased except in the minds of the fans.

kenomac78

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 11:18:24 PM »
well whoever owns what, the bottom line is that for those owners to put it on VC would get them money for almost no work whatsoever, anyone who doesnt see the point in  that, even on a small return, is an idiot. if i owned 15 year old  game  rights and they were collecting dust, then suddenly someone says, let me use this you can make money, by gum id make the money.

the x-factor is how much of that money does it cost to house on the servers and how much does big N keep?  it really wouldnt surprize me  if big N in its old fashioned 1980s NES arrogancy put the cost of all that on the owner of the games. but like they would ever release such figures

and when, if ever big N will ease up on the 3 games a week rule? leaving only 150 or so games a year seems like a lot but spread out over 8 systems, it could take forever to see the one special game we want,. especially considering all the imports, they will never truly run out of games.

im happy that on this forum though , there can be logical discussions about VC's future, and not coming here every monday to endless posts of  wheres  earthbound? etc, X 1000

nat

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 03:12:06 AM »
well whoever owns what, the bottom line is that for those owners to put it on VC would get them money for almost no work whatsoever, anyone who doesnt see the point in  that, even on a small return, is an idiot.

that's what I'm saying. That very reason is why I think we will see Telenet games on the VC at some point in the future. Between all their various publishing titles, they have quite the substantial library of games.

SOMEONE has to acquire the rights to those titles, and that someone would be a fool not to exploit that.

There has never been a better time for someone as a purchaser to be in the market for vintage video game IP.

FM-77

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 02:41:07 AM »
Every time someone says "Telnet" satan kills thirteen puppies. Of doom.

geepee16

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 02:08:08 PM »
(jumps in really late here but...) Last I heard, Victor Ireland was talking to people at Hudson (just over a year ago). John Griener and VI met once I believe in the Turbo days when Vic was still involved with that console.  It's interesting if they are working again considering how Vic just ditched the Turbo to head for the Sega CD after all the support NEC/Hudson gave him.  In any case, they need each other now.

Regardless of who owns the JP rights to Vasteel, Exile and such, he likely owns the English translations to those games so, either way, they would need him.  On the JP side, before Hudson sends their legal guys out to secure rights for these games, there has to be a demand for them in Japan and while it may not be an overwhelming one, they'll get around to it.  Telnet only recently went out of business (December?).  The problem with them is that they started licensing out some of their characters near the end though it shouldn't interfere with older titles. 

esteban

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 12:50:49 PM »
I own the rights to China Warrior.
  |    |