Author Topic: Couple of system card questions  (Read 248 times)

Couple of system card questions
« on: November 22, 2007, 03:43:42 AM »
I'm looking to get all the system cards I'll ever need (my DUO-RX and SuperGrafx should both be arriving on Friday; still looking into getting a Super CD-ROMĀ² for the SX), and I've got a couple questions.

First, I want to confirm that an Arcade Card Pro works fine in a Duo-RX (i.e. there's no advantage beyond price that should make me consider an Arcade Card Duo).

Next, I want to confirm that I definitely do need a System Card 1.0 for maximum compatibility  (and as an aside, is Altered Beast the only game that needs the 1.0 card and why exactly is that?)

Third, which color Games Express card is the "better" one (the one that can access more memory)?  I believe it's the blue one, but I'm not sure (for that matter, I'm not even sure the color always determines which one is which).

This last question is just to satisfy my curiosity, but are there any games that don't like the Arcade Card but do work with the 3.0 card?

td741

Re: Couple of system card questions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 04:36:04 AM »
1- I used an Arcade Card Pro with a US Turbo DUO (+converter) and a SuperGfx/PCEngine w/Super CD Rom attached (CD attachement with 3.0 built it.).  It should work fine with an RX, in fact, wasn't NEC packing a version of the RX with a 6 button controller and the Arcade Card Pro at one point?

2- Altered Beast CD is the only system that uses the 1.0 system card.  There's a little bug that doesn't cause the game to continue after you killed the 1st stage boss.  Someone mentioned that the game works fine if you don't collect enough orbs to transform to the beast mode?  I haven't tried to use the 1.0 card with 2.0 games to see what would happen.  There are minor compability differences in Bonanza Brothers and some demo disks when using the US Super System card (3.01) instead of the PCEngine version (3.00).

3. Don't know.

4. Not that I know of.  I tend to leave my Arcade Card Pro in the card slot unless I'm playing HuCard games and never had any issues.

Turbo D

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 06:54:53 AM »
I have heard that each games express cd game came with its own system card.

nodtveidt

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 07:05:40 AM »
I have heard that each games express cd game came with its own system card.
That was only because it was the best way to get the cards out there. According to others, there are two types of GE system cards, one that uses the 64K RAM and one that uses the 256K RAM.

The Arcade Card is simply a 3.0 card with additional RAM and a couple of new instructions. There shouldn't be any games for the normal 256K system that don't work with the ACD. If I remember correctly, the card ID is the exact same as the normal 3.0 card.