Author Topic: Zonk clone coming to Lynx!  (Read 404 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Zonk clone coming to Lynx!
« on: December 29, 2007, 11:22:29 AM »
Go to http://www.oldergames.com/ & click on games, & Zaku, then go to Previews to see pics of the game.  I'll be damned if that game isn't some kind of Zonk clone!  It looks like it might be cool, I may have to pick it up when it's released!

Kitsunexus

Re: Zonk clone coming to Lynx!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:26:14 AM »
THE LYNX RULES!!

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 11:38:39 AM »
WTF,does Validus run Super Fighter Team now....

Bonknuts

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 01:42:20 PM »
Wow...

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 03:20:09 PM »

What makes you say that?

Either way, this is the type of game, if it ends up being good, that, we've never seen on the Lynx, so I'm semi stoked.

Oh & I know at some point in time, they want to release Super Fighter for the Turbo CD, so, I'll be supporting that.  BTW, is Beggar Prince any good?  I've heard about it, but, not much. 

I'm hoping the guys that did Frog Feast for Turbo will finish it, but, I wish there was a chance there'd be some background music atleast.  I checked out some of the other versions, atleast one(I think the Neo Geo CD) has background noise of a swamp.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 03:30:41 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 04:55:15 PM »
Look,that game clearly rips off stuff from Air Zonk,check the pics,and Super Fighter sucks hardcore. Ever play that game? Easily one of the worst Dos fighters I have ever touched.Putting it on the Turbo wont help it suddenly become better. Beggar Prince may be ok,but they didn't create it,they just ported it to MegaDrive/Genesis.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 05:45:40 PM »
Holy Jeebus!  If they're gonna copy that much, they might as well go whole hog, port the game with no artistic changes, and leave the name as Air Zonk.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 06:30:40 PM »
Yeah, check out those first level pics. If the resolution wasn't 20x10 I'd think they pulled them straight from the Air Zonk ROM.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 06:40:30 PM »
Yeah, the first level is the main thing in there, that looks almost identical to the 1st level in Zonk.  But even the art style is similar.  Either way, I don't care if it's a clone or not, if it's good, I might pick it up.  As for Super Fighter, I guess I'll have to check out a demo or something for myself.  The game doesn't sound exciting, but, anything new for the Turbo I tend to jump on.

It sounds like the Super Fighter team is just a publisher then, since I know they didn't make Zaku or Beggar Prince.  Hopefully these guys can bring something new & good to the Turbo.

guyjin

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 08:21:18 PM »
and Super Fighter sucks hardcore. Ever play that game? Easily one of the worst Dos fighters I have ever touched.

Not that DOS fighters were ever good. I had Street Fighter, and it sucked royally; I doubt that there's anything better.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 08:30:28 PM »
Mortal Kombat 1-3 were good,as was Metal and lace and Primal Rage. I was thinking Super SF 2 Turbo was also good,but its been years since I tried it out.

The best way to mess with the stuff is to have a Dos box set up using a P2 or P3 with a TNT or Voodoo 3 or something with a good set of low res modes with TV/Out and a Awe 32/64 or something close in performance. Why Tv out? Because the stuff looks worlds better running on a tv then it does on a VGA monitor when it comes to the lower res games.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
OK.... Zaku is like, THE COOLEST GAME EVER.

If you could mix Daggerfall, Zaku, Unreal Tournament, GTA Vice City Raystorm and Virtual Hydlide together, YOU COULD RULE THE UNIVERSE.

D-Lite

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 03:39:08 PM »
It's too bad.  The guys that ran OlderGames before were pretty damned cool.  I've met the new character that runs Super Fighter Team and he's, um, unique.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 04:15:47 PM »
Unique? :-s

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 05:34:45 PM »
This definitely looks like Zonk! Very cool!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).