Author Topic: 1991 Free Game Offer from NEC  (Read 1333 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: 1991 Free Game Offer from NEC
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 02:49:47 AM »
Man, I love these stories of winning games.  I've not been quite as lucky as you two, but I did win a free copy of Cosmo Tank for the ol' Gameboy.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

GohanX

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 09:23:24 AM »
Man, I love these stories of winning games.

Me too! Not Turbo related, but I'll share a story.

I was a huge fan of the Saturn, and I was eagerly anticipating the release of the Dreamcast. At the time I was 19 or so, working a low paying job but still living at home, so one day I just decided I wanted to play Virtua Fighter 3 so I drove to Raleigh which had the nearest import shop, asked them how much a Japanese DC was, and bought it and Virtua Fighter. A week later Sonic Adventure came out, so I also got it and a few other games.

Fast forward to 9/9/99, I was working at Best Buy now in the PC department, but was excited to see the US DC launch first hand. I lent my first hand knowledge to staff and customers since I had been playing it all along. I thought about buying a US system, but I was only part time now so I didn't want to waste $200 on a duplicate system, and I figured it was a matter of time before someone figured out how to bypass the region lock.

In December, someone had figured out a really ghetto method that worked, so I was having my system modded, I dropped it off on a Friday. On Sunday, there was a special friends and family thing for Christmas at BB where employees got all kinds of specials, there was a party, it was cool. One of the things they did was have a raffle for a Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure, $1.00 per ticket with the proceeds going to charity. I wasn't going to participate, since I didn't need one, but a coworker friend was really excited and wanted one, and convinced me to buy two tickets 10 minutes before the drawing.

Now here we were, standing in a circle as the store manager drew a name. Lots of the young guys wanted the system the couldn't afford. A lot of the older people wanted it for their children for Christmas. Me, I'm just happy to see excitement over Sega's latest console.

Naturally, the name that was drawn was my own.

I was the most hated person in Best Buy that night. I did enjoy playing Sonic Adventure in English, finally! A few months later I was strapped for cash and needing to pay a bill, so I sold the DC to that excited friend for $70 since that was all he could afford, but was enough to pay my bill.

NightWolve

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
Ah, nice! But where as you eventually sold your won system, I actually broke my TG-16 down the road; that's kinda why I needed to buy the TurboDuo and as for the Bloody Wolf HuCard?? Well, wouldn't you know, I also bought a TurboExpress for $99 bucks during that TTi going-out-of-business sale and the contact pins were so damn strong/tight that it broke my Bloody Wolf HuCard because it was the first game I wanted to play on it... I pushed it in and could feel how friggin' tight it locked into place, then I turn it on and I get a blank screen, etc. So I tried removing and inserting it a few times, still no luck, then I tried another HuCard and it worked, which led to the 'uh-oh' realization that there's now something wrong with that particular HuCard... So I go back and try it on the TG-16 itself, and of course, it didn't work at all! It went buh-bye... So, really, all I got out of that win was Keith Courage (and loyalty to NEC) by the end of it!! Hahaha!! (Of course the system got plenty of mileage on it before it broke with all the rentals I played on it, but yeah, I had to give it a burial...)

Speaking of Best Buy, I used to like that store, but they've gotten pricey over the years; it's definitely not like it used to be and I, for one, kinda hate the pushiness that employees are forced to engage in. If I need help, I'll ask for it; I don't need to have a guy popping up every time I go from one section of the store to another asking me if I need help or not.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:30:38 PM by NightWolve »

Vecanti

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »
I'm curious if any other members on the board took advantage of the offer and if so, what game they selected.  

YES!  This was one of the reasons I choose TurboGrafx over a Genesis.  Glad I did too!

Funny thing is both my friend and I each got TWO games with this offer.  We bought our Turbo's at the same time and sent off for the free games.  About 8 weeks later our games never arrived.  So his parents called and they said they would send another game out as it should have arrived and then he gave me the phone # and I called.  And they said, "Yeah, you should have gotten it buy now, we'll send out a game right away."  

A few days later we both got a game.  I received Legendary Axe. ( I don't remember what he got)  Then about a week later we both got a 2nd game!  I think mine was World Class Baseball.  He got another different game. We weren't trying to scam them or anything.  But we didn't send the 2nd games back either.  We figured the 1st ones must have finally arrived after 9 weeks.  Then the 2nd ones came from the call we made shortly after.

Worked out great for us.  :)

esteban

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2012, 08:43:22 PM »
Man, I love these stories of winning games.  I've not been quite as lucky as you two, but I did win a free copy of Cosmo Tank for the ol' Gameboy.  :mrgreen:

Cook has never had the pleasure of playing Cosmo Tank.

|    | 

ccovell

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 02:43:02 AM »
You should give Cosmo Tank a try.  Same musician as Dungeon Explorer, at least...

http://www.chrismcovell.com/cosmoproto/

esteban

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 01:39:59 AM »
You should give Cosmo Tank a try.  Same musician as Dungeon Explorer, at least...

http://www.chrismcovell.com/cosmoproto/

You had me at "same musician" !

No, of course I'm not kidding.

UPDATE: That's a great page you made there. It was fun to read through.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:42:45 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

SuperGrafx16

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 09:29:37 PM »
In late August/early September 1991 I saw an offer/ad from NEC in the Sunday paper for a free game with the purchase of a Turbo Grafx 16.  You could pick any of the releases for the system up to that point and had to rank your top five choices.  I picked R-Type first followed by Ordyne, but I don't remeber the last three I picked.  I ended up getting R-Type.   8)
I was 14 years old at the time and funds were very limited, so this offer is what pushed me to get a TG 16 over a Genesis.

I'm curious if any other members on the board took advantage of the offer and if so, what game they selected. 

Oh man, you'll love this.   I remember getting an offer with my TurboGrafx-16 in September or October of 1990 for a free game.  R-Type was one of the games! Mind you, it cost $69.99 at TRU, making it probably the most expensive TG16 game sold in the U.S.  Well I selected R-Type of course, but you know when I got it?  The UPS guy knocked on the door on CHRISTMAS EVE 1990!!!!   I was so...freaking...happy ^__^

Tatsujin

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »
I never won any games, on the other hand I also never tried to win any games. May be that was the problem :(
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

NightWolve

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »
Hehe! Could be...

Keranu

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2012, 10:35:24 PM »
I won a Bomberman foam bomb.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2012, 04:28:45 AM »
I never won any games, on the other hand I also never tried to win any games. May be that was the problem :(

You "won" a boxed Super Fami from the trash heap.  That's something.

Tatsujin

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2012, 04:41:45 AM »
no, it was "only" a super fami. i should have left it on the streets, but dumb as i was.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
no, it was "only" a super fami. i should have left it on the streets, but dumb as i was.

Leave it in the trash where it belongs!  :lol:

Black Tiger

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »
I was sent Dungeon Master TM and a LoT t-shirt in response to one of my many "If I worked at NEC/Hudson or T.T.I..." letters. Considering that the game selection and personalized response both reflected someone actually reading and acknowledging what I wrote, it felt at least as satisfying as winning a contest.

I sent EGM a Bloody Wolf high score which was higher than the winner's, but they never published it. :|
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum