Author Topic: PC Engine CD Rom & Interface.  (Read 570 times)

monads

PC Engine CD Rom & Interface.
« on: October 29, 2004, 03:33:04 PM »
Sorry for these recent string of questions gang, just trying to sort it all out.

1. The CD Rom & Interface.  I was thinking of picking one up for my SuperGrafx.  I know I need the RAU30 unit/adapter but I when I hook it all up will the SuperGrafx draw power from the CD Rom/Interface unit or will I be looking at two sets of AC adapters here?  I'm hoping everything is recognized as one unit.  One set of AV cables and one adapter.

dj898

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 03:50:24 PM »
get Super CD-ROM module instead. It plugs directly to the back of SuperGrfax and you don't need to get System Card 3.0.

for your ref. the combo looks like this...

cheers

monads

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 03:52:51 AM »
Very cool.  Hey, thanks for your help.  That will save some money.  Couple of other questions, will that Super CD rom have the ability to save games (like Duo)?  or will I still need a bank card?  

Also, with the old CD Rom interface would one need to still purchase that System Card 3.0 or or will the Arcade Card Pro supercede it?  I thought the System Card 3.0 allowed you play all the Super CDs, but the Arcade Card gave you access to the entire library (Arcade titled games too).  Or am I wrong and the System Card is really just an 'update' sort of card?

I wish I would've known what you told me before I picked up a SuperGrafx RAU30 adapter because when I was doing research there was no indication the CD Rom for the CoreGrafx II would work/fit with the SuperGrafx.

Thanks for helping me with these questions.

monads

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 09:54:49 AM »
Well after doing some more research I understand with the cards and RAM.  Here's how it all works:

CD-ROM: No internal memory, came with System Card 1.0.  System Card 2.0 released, had 1 Megabit of RAM.  To keep up with the Duo, System Card 3.0 was released.  This latter card allowed you to play Super CDs.

Duo: 2 Megabits of RAM Built in.  No card needed.  Could play Super CDs

Arcade Card Duo: 16 Megabits of RAM, plus the Duo's 2 Megabits brought it up to 18 Megabits of RAM.  Access to all the library now permitted.

Arcade Card Pro: 18 Megabits of RAM released for the orginal white CD-ROM unit.  Access to all the library now permitted.

dj898

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 09:56:03 AM »
The Arcade Card Pro will let you play virtually everything - since you have SuperGrafx ;) - and no you don't need System Card 3.0 although it will cost you fair bit to source Arcade Pro as I'm still eyeing one for under 1500 yen... (they always seem to be around 3000-4000 yen mark)

For saving you will need either Tennokoebank Hucard or Save Kun/Memory bank 128 units. For obvious reason you can't use Tennokoebank II module. :p

RAU30 adaptor is still nice to have for the collection - I have one too before I sold my suitcase setup for Super CD-ROM module. Sadly it's quite expensive even in Japan to source SuperGrafx stuff... every time I travel to Tokyo I spent a day to hunt and buy those stuff for my ever increasing collection...

monads

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 10:08:52 AM »
Looks like we were writing at the same time  :D   I did pick up a Tennokoebank II.  It was pretty cheap around $13.00 (no box/manual).  I do have a Tennokoebank HuCard as well.  Took me a while to sort out this whole PC Engine thing but I think I have it under control.

Is there any particular reason why you sold the white suitcase original cd rom in favor the Super CD rom?  Was it giving you problems?

Zerojean

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 09:36:06 PM »
The CD Rom briefcase does have internal memory for saves.

Apart from that everything is the werd.

The only game I know of that won't work is Altered Beast CD, that will ONLY work with system card 1.0 or 2.0, f*ck knows why??
Baseley09 in disguise.

dj898

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 10:42:57 PM »
no I was running out of space so I had to sell the said suitcase plus PC Engine Duo box set and couple of Saturn and two Dreamcast... and I still have way too many consoles - according to missus... :cry:

my pride of joy would be Saturn Prototype unit plus bunch of CartDev Rev.B units... and I have Blue Debug Station on its way from Japan...

As I mod SuperGrafx with S-video out w/ amp I wasn't going to loose money if I sell this one... besides if I want I can always pick up suitcase or Duro RX from Japan anyway...  :D

monads

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 03:48:28 AM »
Quote from: "dj898"
I still have way too many consoles - according to missus... :cry:

Ha!  LOL.  My girl keeps telling me I've accumulated way too much PC Engine stuff in the past couple of months!  I can't help it, I love the console and these old school games are still fun.

And hey, next time the missus says you have way too many games/systems....tell her it could be worse, spending your money at the nuddy bar or gambling.  And if you arleady do this, well then MAYBE she has a valid point  :lol:

Pcenginefx

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 04:19:48 AM »
Quote from: "dj898"
no I was running out of space so I had to sell the said suitcase plus PC Engine Duo box set and couple of Saturn and two Dreamcast... and I still have way too many consoles - according to missus... :cry:

That's funny man...I'm in the same boat!  I have over 30 consoles but my wife knew what she was getting into when she married me :)  She's not really into video games, which is one thing I've been trying to get her into...at least she likes Bomberman and Worms World Party.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

KingDrool

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 03:07:18 AM »
Luckily, my wife enjoys video games for the most part.  She still thinks I'm insane for having 30 consoles and boxes of video games filling up my closet, but I don't have too much of a problem getting her to sit down and enjoy them with me.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Zerojean

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 11:19:09 AM »
Quote from: "jlued686"
..... but I don't have too much of a problem getting her to sit down and enjoy them with me.

Yeah??

That tazer I sold you seems to be working well then.
Baseley09 in disguise.

dj898

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2004, 03:39:56 PM »
missus loves Samba de amigo with Maracas... :p
also love to play PopNMusic and Donkey konga

now she wants me to get Happy Diet for PS and the thing not only cost fair amount the controller itself - basically stepper you see at the gym with PS connector - is quite heavy... Looks like on next trip to Japan I won't be able to get much stuff... :(