Author Topic: Madou Monogatari question  (Read 480 times)

xarok

Madou Monogatari question
« on: November 07, 2004, 06:41:25 PM »
Hi, has anyone played this Arcade Card game? If so, is it worth tracking down? And how much does it go for?

Nutribrain

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 12:57:25 AM »
I haven't played this game so far. I can only tell you that it's very hard to find this game at ebay.com as I tried this for 6 months. But I bet you have better luck finding one on Yahoo Japan. At the moment there's one copy for 20,000 yen, but I think the price tag is located more at 10,000-12,000 yen.

xarok

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 08:16:58 PM »
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I can't afford it right now at this price... recently I shelled out a great deal of money for Kaze Kiri (which I never received btw) so I've been pushed back a month or two but I'll keep an eye on it.
I can't believe how rare Madou Monogatari is. It's impossible to even find a game review on the net! It seems that very few people have had a chance to play this game...

Nutribrain

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 04:09:46 AM »
I only have some previews in japanese magazines I bought the time when it was going to be published. The graphics doesn't look that good, considering this is an Arcade-Card game.
I've heard, at some message board I can't remember, that it's not that good game. Dungeon Master with characters from the PuyoPuyo universe. But as long as you are also interested in it, because of it's rarity, I think it's worth it.

BTW, did you try to buy your KazeKiri from this Hong Kong based dealer who had 6 copies of this game at a time? If so, I also tried to buy something from this guy. I can't remember his ebay account name. But I can remember that I got an email from ebay, stating that this seller is deleted from ebay. Luckily I didn't transferred the money at this point. But I heard that he screwed many people. He had many quite rare and expensive titles for sale in relatively large quantaties, like KazeKiri or Metal Slugs AES from the NeoGeo.

dj898

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 02:13:44 PM »
it's sad but still happen even now... :(
I got screwed few times btu nothing major - I only buy expensive item from seller whom I've dealt and know well...

more luck next time then! :)

I got my copy of Kaekiri for 4300 yen off Yahoo Japan when I was in Japan early this year using my relative's account. Also got two mint Radiant Silvergun for 17000 yen which was very good price... Sold one since privately for nice profit I might add...

cheers

Nutribrain

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 08:20:51 PM »
I found some things on japanese pages:

http://pce.zero-city.com/pce_kouryaku11.html
or same page translated using OCN.

Some game images from the PC version I think: http://www.vector.co.jp/games/select/file/gt000466/

xarok

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 08:40:44 PM »
Nutribrain wrote:
I only have some previews in japanese magazines I bought the time when it was going to be published. The graphics doesn't look that good, considering this is an Arcade-Card game.
I've heard, at some message board I can't remember, that it's not that good game. Dungeon Master with characters from the PuyoPuyo universe. But as long as you are also interested in it, because of it's rarity, I think it's worth it.

The arcade card is nothing more than just some extra RAM. It doesn't improve graphics quality. Most arcade card games use this extra ram to just minimize frequent loading from the CD and make the player almost think that he/she is playing a cartridge game (which of course provides lightning fast loading).  
Advanced graphics can only be found in very few games that utilize this ram for extra frames of animation (i.e. Sapphire, Kabuki Itouryoudan...) but even then, with good compression algorithms some programmers were able to load the standard 256K memory of the Duo with an unbelievable amount of data (ie Beyond Shadowgate).
Personally I prefer the extra memory to be used for more frames of animation than using it to load entire level data to minimize loading.
Yesterday I got a chance to play the Mega Drive version of Madou Monogatari. If it's anything like this version, then I assume that it will simply use the arcade card to hold an entire level into memory.

BTW, did you try to buy your KazeKiri from this Hong Kong based dealer who had 6 copies of this game at a time? If so, I also tried to buy something from this guy. I can't remember his ebay account name. But I can remember that I got an email from ebay, stating that this seller is deleted from ebay. Luckily I didn't transferred the money at this point. But I heard that he screwed many people. He had many quite rare and expensive titles for sale in relatively large quantaties, like KazeKiri or Metal Slugs AES from the NeoGeo.

Yes, this is the dealer (User Id: cy_Wong) to whom I sent my precious money. When I received the notification from e-bay, it was too late for me to do anything. I tried to contact this "seller" with any means possible but was unable to find them. I'm crying for my money :(

Nutribrain

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 05:18:09 AM »
I know that the ACD only provides more memory than the build in memory or SuperSystemCard have. It doesn't provide any new instructions or an own processor like the 32X. But I think if you look at the SNK games by Hudson. They have very long loading times, but graphical wise they are real good conversions from the original NeoGeo games. And also the examples you already mentoined.

So I would expect an ACD game look better than a "normal" SCD game. And so I think Madoh Monogatari isn't a game like Sapphire, which looks clearly like an ACD game.

I've heard that the other versions are quite similar to the PCE version, and the Saturn version considered to be the best. Don't know if that's true.

Regading 'cy_wong' (that was his name), I was very lucky. I would have also lost about $150 to him.

xarok

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 08:30:24 PM »
Nutribrain wrote:
I would expect an ACD game look better than a "normal" SCD game. And so I think Madoh Monogatari isn't a game like Sapphire, which looks clearly like an ACD game.

Sapphire looks different from the other games (even in still pictures) because of the rendered polygon graphics. Madou Monogatari doesn't look like anything mind-blowing in pictures, but I think we have to see it in motion to make a final judgement.

But whether it's good or not, I've decided to track it down to complete my ACD collection anyway - I'm very close, I still need this game, Strider (I don't care if it's the worst version, I still want it!) and the original copy of Sapphire (if I ever find it for a reasonable price...).

Nutribrain

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 02:33:22 AM »
Hehe, I understand you. I'm also missing this game (and some others). I collected PCE stuff since 1993. But some years ago, I think round about 3, I lost my interest in PCE collecting. Not that I have all games nor near all, but most that I was interested in. Now there are just some left. Propably some day I'll buy a cheap Madoh ;-)

Liquid Snake

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 04:09:18 AM »
Quote from: "Nutribrain"

You must talk about HK_CYWONG.
He scammed many people by building up his eBay feedbacks first and then got the money and disappeared from nowhere.

His new EBay account is games_yoyo
My happy meal box is empty~~~

Play-Asia

Liquid Snake

Re: Madou Monogatari question
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 02:43:14 PM »
Quote from: "xarok"
Hi, has anyone played this Arcade Card game? If so, is it worth tracking down? And how much does it go for?

Never heard it before...............
My happy meal box is empty~~~

Play-Asia

xarok

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »
Liquid Snake wrote:
You must talk about HK_CYWONG.
He scammed many people by building up his eBay feedbacks first and then got the money and disappeared from nowhere.

His new EBay account is games_yoyo

Yes, this is the guy. Thanks for providing his new ebay account.

Nutribrain

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 09:26:57 PM »
I bought Madou Monogatari some weeks ago and received it last weekend. I havn't played much so all I can say is, that the intro is nice. Music is average and I died several times on the first floor at the beginning.
I searched the net and discovered that the GG-version of this game is said to be very hard if you don't understand what's going on (read the kanji). So I'll see. I'm quite happy to own this game now, so I think I'll give it a try within the next weeks.

Nutribrain

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 11:50:56 PM »
I'm now on the 4th floor and going... I like this game. Like I already told the intro is nice and the gameplay graphics are only average but nicely drawn. Till now knowledge of the japanese language wasn't needed. The battle system is very easy and quite uncommon, as the game lacks the display of HP. You are able to see your (Arles) status by looking at her face or listen to the music which changes accordingly.
The monsters are nice drawn and some of the magic spell you cast, are also nice animated, not ground-breaking but solid.

Overall it's a nice game.