Author Topic: A question about Lords of Thunder.  (Read 662 times)

Ultra Luigi

A question about Lords of Thunder.
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:20:16 AM »
About a few hours ago I finally managed to beat the game on Super mode. Yeah… I’m feeling pretty good right now. Struggled so much to do it but I kept on trying.

Well, I knew how badass this game was from reading some discussions around here and since I don’t have a TurboDuo or the CD attachment for the TG-16, I decided to buy the VC version. About a day before the VC release, I read a review that explained that certain armors countered certain stages, similar to Mega Man. When I first got the game I tried them all out and the only one I liked was the Earth Armor. It seemed like it was the strongest one to use if you managed to have it maxed out. So I stuck with it, from normal mode all the way to super, although it was a lot tougher trying to beat it with that armor in that mode. At one point I was tempted to use the Water Armor but I felt I was taking the coward’s way by using it. It’s not that strong but it covers most of the stage. Wasn’t much of a challenge.

So here’s the question to you LoT experts, do some armors really benefit when used in certain stages or against bosses? I wouldn’t mind learning some more tips because I plan to record a run of it if I get good enough to beating it without dying (died once on my last attempt).

This game flat out rocks, I was blown away the first time I tried it out.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:45:52 AM by Ultra Luigi »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: A question about Lords of Thunder.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:37:59 AM »
Congrats on completing it on Super mode.  If interested, you can go here and post up your high score.

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I haven't noticed much difference between stages in the differing armor's effectiveness; in every stage, the Earth armor does the most damage.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Ultra Luigi

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:47:06 AM »
Awesome. This will definitely extend my playtime with the game. I’ll be sure to submit my scores the next time I play.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »
I'd say your hunch is right. I doubt the person that wrote that review ever beat the game on Super, so you know more than they do. :)

I've owned this game for 15 years and IMO the Earth Armor just blows everything away. I wish the game were more diverse, but it isn't.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »
I'd say your hunch is right. I doubt the person that wrote that review ever beat the game on Super, so you know more than they do. :)

I've owned this game for 15 years and IMO the Earth Armor just blows everything away. I wish the game were more diverse, but it isn't.

What else would you have liked them to include to make it more diverse ?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »
It would be cool if the other armors were actually useful for something other than an added challenge.

Turbo D

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 05:13:11 PM »
I used to use the water armor when I first started out. Now I use the fire armor because I believe it to be the most powerful and cool! Its kind of like the flare in SuperStarSoldier. Did you use the money cheat before beating it on Super?

Ultra Luigi

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 05:29:45 PM »
I used to use the water armor when I first started out. Now I use the fire armor because I believe it to be the most powerful and cool! Its kind of like the flare in SuperStarSoldier. Did you use the money cheat before beating it on Super?
What money cheat? Nah, I didn’t know a cheat like that even existed.  #-o

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 05:56:43 PM »

I like the pattern of the Fire armor, but the big advantage of Earth is just the shear damage that downward lobbing shot has. Even at zero power if you can position yourself well enough to actually hit stuff with that lob shot it just crushes everything. Its a shame because visually the Water armor is the coolest, but it just doesn't do the damage.

I think that the standard forward shot (looks the same for all suits) and the sword do the same damage regardless of what armor you have. Not sure about that though.

Black Tiger

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 06:48:21 PM »
This Lords of Thunder strategy guide covers everything you need to know.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 06:58:49 PM »
That's awesome. I've never seen that one before.

Ultra Luigi

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »
Heh, that’s genius. Anyways thanks a lot for the help everyone. I guess I chose the right armor after all but I’m going to need to practice to be able to pull it off without dying once. Overall it’s just some motion patterns that I need to learn to avoid some of the stuff.

Turbo D

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 07:31:37 PM »
What money cheat? Nah, I didn’t know a cheat like that even existed.  #-o

You are an animal Ultra Luigi! Now that you beat the odds, enjoy the cheats below!

LORDS OF THUNDER

Boss Mode    Go to the configure screen, set up level=HARD, music=01 and sound=01, then press Select+I (you can return to level=NORMAL debore exiting) - this will bypass the stage and go directly to each stage's boss.

Start with 10K crystals     Go to the configure screen, set up level=SUPER, music=02 and sound=02, then press Select+I.

nat

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 07:35:59 PM »
They don't call him Ultra Luigi for nothing. Do you think Vanilla Luigi would have pulled that off?

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 08:42:48 PM »
This Lords of Thunder strategy guide covers everything you need to know.

I didn't even have to click that to know what it was :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).