Author Topic: Blue Breaker  (Read 447 times)

SuperDeadite

Blue Breaker
« on: May 08, 2008, 03:51:57 AM »
Recently finished my first run through of this game.  Really interesting idea, for a large part of the
game you just go anywhere you want to.  There is no set path.  You can explore caves and dungeons
in any order as well.  Just get a party you like and go adventuring, awesome idea! 

However you are on a time limit to finish the actual game, and what makes this difficult is that the
game doesn't really give you any information outside of a few very vaigue notes.  Getting a happy
ending with a girl can be quite difficult even for people that understand Japanese.

Very experimental game design, you basically just go left or right and fight battles automatically.  In fact
just giving the girls battle orders will piss them off.  Thankfully the party AI is quite good, so you don't
need to give them orders very often.

Really its a game about balence.  You really have to keep track of a lot of information in order to
succeed.  Absolutely everything you do has some affect on something else.

My first time I was able to get two happy endings.  There is still much more to see though, the final
girl won't even appear until you've gotten happy endings with two other secret girls first!  So its
got tons of replayability. 

Excellent game for the FX, but I highly recommend reading the super long FAQ at GameFAQs before even
attempting to play it.  It is probably one of the most complicated RPGs out there, but it does a good
job of hiding it behind a very simple gameplay design.  :clap:
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

nat

Re: Blue Breaker
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 03:54:10 AM »
I have this game, and your report goes hand-in-hand with what I've heard-- complicated. I'll give it the time it deserves one day, but not until I'm done with Boundary Gate and possibly a few others first.

geepee16

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 12:55:34 PM »
TOTALLY underrated game in the TOTALLY underrated FX RPG library.  blue breaker takes work and time.  i wasn't crazy about it at first but it pulled me in.  not the best rpg on the FX but it's such a bargain anywhere you go (or it should be) and there is just no reason to pass on it.  i never finished it because i sold my original FX years ago before doing so.  i have my FX packed for my three months in japan this summer and, plan on finishing it while taking breaks on the miraculum translation.

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »
I've been wanting to play this game for years. Sucks to hear that it's non-linear though.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 05:39:20 PM »
Yeah I really liked this game, but the non-linear thing really hurt it for me since I don't read any JApanese and basically I was just running around with no idea of what I was supposed to do.  It seemed awesome though, I loved the mix of digital comic in there also, and the graphics were actually really nice.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 03:20:29 AM »
Yeah I really liked this game, but the non-linear thing really hurt it for me since I don't read any JApanese and basically I was just running around with no idea of what I was supposed to do.  It seemed awesome though, I loved the mix of digital comic in there also, and the graphics were actually really nice.

Even if you can read Japanese, it doesn't really help you that much.  The game will give you messages about the really important story events.  But these don't happen until late in the game.  The first half really has no other purpose then to get all the girls togeather, then start raising their love levels.

wilsonw111

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:58:04 PM »

this game sounds very interesting,, Biding it now,, hopefully getting it soon,

wilsonw111

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 02:36:26 PM »
yeahhhhh,, ,just got the game from Hong Kong,,about USD6,  pretty good deal.     gonna try it tonight,

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SuperDeadite

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 04:53:35 PM »
Its a great game, but seriously complicated.  First just run around a bit to get the feel of the game down.  Then read the massive FAQ at GameFAQs to understand how it all works and start the game fresh again.

wilsonw111

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 03:47:21 AM »
arrrr,,, it's hardddddd    :roll:

MissaFX

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 03:59:05 AM »

Yeah but it is cute looking and you don't have to button mash through the battles at least like in say The Last Imperial Prince.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

ceti alpha

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 07:13:32 AM »

Yeah but it is cute looking and you don't have to button mash through the battles at least like in say The Last Imperial Prince.

I hate button mashers. Button mashers are for teh n00b. Seriously though, I found the new Bourne game was just a button masher. There was literally no gameplay value at all.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 07:16:56 AM »
But the Last Imperial Prince is awesome! I love that game. I actually really like the fighting system, the further you get the more strategy there is. I'd say it's much more than a button masher. The only problem with the battles is sometimes they go on far too long.

MissaFX

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 08:12:09 AM »
But the Last Imperial Prince is awesome! I love that game. I actually really like the fighting system, the further you get the more strategy there is. I'd say it's much more than a button masher. The only problem with the battles is sometimes they go on far too long.

It was the sheer length of some of the battles I have played in that game that make me think of it as a button masher, although in a strict sense it isn't...It's just you have to press the button lets say 100 times to get through a LIP battle or more, while you don't really have to press buttons at all in Blue Breaker to win some battles.  How about we call LIP a Button Pressing Endurance game?
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

geepee16

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 08:55:21 PM »
i also love LIP.  it's a game that often gets overlooked but is still worth having, even among the FX' underrated and little-known RPG library.