Author Topic: Nanto's MIDI Remix Thread (6.12.08 - New song from Dragon Slayer)  (Read 323 times)

Pcenginefx

So I recently got back into messing around with a old copy of Reason 2.5 I bought a long time ago and decided to take a stab at remixing some of the old Turbo MIDI's that are out there.  For these mixes, I took an already existing MIDI, imported it into Reason, then picked out the sample or synth that I thought sounded good for that particular track.  I'm not an expert at this by any means, but I know when something sounds reasonably good and wanted to share my remixes for all of you to enjoy.  As a side note, if you know who composed the tracks that I don't have names for, please let me know so that I may credit them.

Original MIDI composer: Unknown / 2008 Remix by Aaron Nanto / http://www.pcenginefx.com/temp/Remixes/NantoRemix_YsPalace.mp3
(192kbps/3.6MB)

NOTES: Being my first remix song, I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out.  I think the remix sounds very "Falcomish" with the instruments that I picked out.  There is a problem at the end of the sequence, but this was in the original MIDI file and thus was not fixed.  For those who are familiar with Reason, I used 6 Malstrom Synths and 3 NN-XT's for a 9 track mix.

THINGS TO LISTEN FOR:  At 00:25 the main melody starts in the left ear, somewhat faint.  It sounds like the entire piece is repeating itself till 01:00 but this is not the case.  My favorite section is at 01:49 which sounds wonderful thanks to the original midi sequence.  One other track that isn't so obvious (but totally reminds me of Mass Effect) is a fast background synth "pulsing" that I put in which you can hear it clearly at 02:21 for a few seconds while I fade out.

Version 2 of "Palace" Remix
Original MIDI composer: Unknown / 2008 v2 Remix by Aaron Nanto / http://www.pcenginefx.com/temp/Remixes/NantoRemix_YsPalace_v2.mp3
(192kbps/3.6MB)

NOTES: An updated version of the original "Palace" MIDI file, this time I fixed the ending sequence and changed the mix somewhat to put more emphases on the main melody.  I also changed some of the sounds a little - overall a more polished and final remix which I'm very happy with now.

Original MIDI composer: Unknown / 2008 Remix by Aaron Nanto / http://www.pcenginefx.com/temp/Remixes/NantoRemix_DragonSlayerDragon.mp3
(192kbps/4.2MB)

NOTES: This one took about 4 hours to remix due to the complexity of the sequence (14 tracks!).  This one is interesting because I put a mix of real sounding instruments with synth.  I also cleaned up some notes that were out of place in the original sequence.  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:53:18 AM by Pcenginefx »
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

Turbo D

Re: Nanto's MIDI Remix Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:46:23 PM »
Thats very cool dude!  8)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 04:26:18 AM »
I've been doing this too, but with non-game music and Reason 3.

nodtveidt

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 03:57:23 PM »
Nice work, Aaron.

esteban

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 02:57:24 PM »
Nice :). Also, did you draw the art in the banner, or is that from Falcom?
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:08:32 PM »
Lovely.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Arjak

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 07:52:56 AM »
Even though it's not my favorite Ys song, I have to admit, that's a pretty awesome rendition. :dance:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Pcenginefx

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 05:31:00 AM »
Thank you all for the comments.  I'll probably revise it slightly to bring out the main melody during the first 1min of the song more as it is very hard to hear.

Nice :). Also, did you draw the art in the banner, or is that from Falcom?

From Falcom :)  Just some random piece of artwork I found.

I have 3 other songs I'm working on now - will update my original post with them when done.
//Aaron

Pcenginefx

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 08:44:21 PM »
Updated 1st post with version 2 of the "Palace" remix...enjoy!
//Aaron

Pcenginefx

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 07:52:54 PM »
Updated 1st post with an all new remix from Dragon Slayer...enjoy!
//Aaron