Author Topic: Hack wanted: Altered Beast  (Read 487 times)

nat

Hack wanted: Altered Beast
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:38:48 AM »
I was just thinking today how it might be kind of cool if someone could hack the Altered Beast cartridge ROM to use SELECT as a duplicate Jump button. That way people with three button pads could use Button III for jumping instead of pressing UP on the D-pad.

What would be even cooler is if all the buttons were changed, so that Button I could be jump, and Button II and III (SELECT) would be the punch and kick attacks.

I'm no coder so I have no idea how much work this might involve, but it'd be a neat project. I'd certainly use the resulting ROM on my flash cart to play the game on my system.

Turbo D

Re: Hack wanted: Altered Beast
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:04:23 AM »
thats a good idea nat! I've often fantasized about a 3 button pce altered beast.

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 05:27:43 AM »
If its feasible, its a good idea and something I thought I wanted for a long time. But after playing through the arcade and Genesis versions recently, I actually prefer pressing Up to jump. I probably wouldn't if SFII had never come along, but now I'm glad the control scheme is the way it is.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 08:20:28 AM »
Yeah, it's not a big deal, I don't mind pressing UP to jump. I'm simply obsessed with my three button Turbo pad and love to think of any new ways I can to utilize it.

I'm surprised one of our resident dev geniuses hasn't commented on the feasibility of this yet.

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 08:26:38 AM »
If its possible, I'd like to see SFIICE updated to remove PAUSE and instead use 3 punches or kicks at a time on a 2 button pad.

Any other games that could use some button swapping?

malducci

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 09:06:59 AM »
I'll look into it if no one else is. I got some time this week.

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 07:18:16 PM »
I think this would be a cool hack, even for normal two-button pads for us people who don't mind using the select button as a third action button. I don't think it would make the jumping feel a whole lot better in game though because the jumping mechanics in Altered Beast are pretty clunky to begin with, but it would still feel convient.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:18:29 AM »
I can't access pcfx site or the forums from this hotel, so here's the link to the hacked Altered Beast rom -

http://pcedev.net/altered_beast/Jyuohki_hack_T_.zip

I tested it out and Select is indeed used for jump now and pressing directly up does nothing. Regardless of how easy or hard it might have been, that's some pretty impressive turn around time. :clap:

nat

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 09:53:43 AM »
Awesome. I'll try it tonight. Hopefully he can get back on here later and tell us how difficulty (or easy) it was.

malducci

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 10:20:44 AM »
Back from my trip. It took about 10-15mins to locate the code and change one variable. I got lucky  :wink:

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 10:45:16 AM »
I like how he did it in a hotel room too.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
Make  a custom altered Beast arcade stick which sets "up" as a third action button for jump. There,problem solved :P

atr3yu

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 03:18:56 PM »
Does anyone know how to do this and could maybe share with the rest of us, I know I can't wait to try this out!!!! Anyone plz help  ](*,)

malducci

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 04:47:39 PM »
Do what? The link to the game is in B_T's post, but I'll repost it.
http://pcedev.net/altered_beast/Jyuohki_hack_T_.zip

atr3yu

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »
For some reason it doesn't sow up fpr me in Firefox but your does.  :-k Thanks!!