Author Topic: Is there a way to actually REPAIR Turbo Pad cables?  (Read 573 times)

vestcoat

Is there a way to actually REPAIR Turbo Pad cables?
« on: July 01, 2008, 02:42:27 PM »
I don't want to buy any more replacement cables (considering TZD's current ownership) but my cords are dropping like flies.  Yes, I could just as well bust out my Duo pads, but I like using both.
Anyway, is there an easy way to just cut these things open and splice or solder something?

Zeon

Re: Is there a way to actually REPAIR Turbo Pad cables?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:51:55 PM »
I am not sure about Turbo Pads, but I have worked with a couple of nes third party beeshu zipper controllers that may have had a similar problem. In two of those three controllers I have owned, they had problems with the controls, half of the buttons were unresponsive or it would just go plain nuts. I discovered that in both busted controllers that from the factory they had wedged the wire quite tightly and wrapped around a couple of plastic pegs. This resulted in broken wires from the stress of being wedged so tightly. I trimmed about an inch of wire back on one of them past the wedged part and re-soldered the wires to the board. This fixed the problem. Now I am not sure this is the same problem with turbo pads, but the fact that my turbo tap works flawlessly only when the wire is bent a certain way suggests it is. Too bad the cords are so short to begin with... Well I hope this info helps and good luck.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 02:48:23 AM »
It depends on where the break is.  If the broken connection is at the connector inside the controller, then you could easily patch it and be back in business; if a wire is broken somewhere along the cord's length, then you'd have to find its location(s), cut that sucker open, splice, and tape it all back together again (a.k.a. - extreme ghetto mod); and if the problem is at the DIN connector, then you could easily cut it off and wire up a replacement (though that'd make these short ass cables even shorter).  Alternatively, you could buy one of the cheap extension cables, cut off the female end, and wire it up to the controller connector from your dying cable; you should be able to determine the correct wiring by disassembling and examining the ends of the two soon to be trashed cables.  Suck that, Redfrog!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

vestcoat

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 10:51:03 AM »
It depends on where the break is.  If the broken connection is at the connector inside the controller, then you could easily patch it and be back in business; if a wire is broken somewhere along the cord's length, then you'd have to find its location(s), cut that sucker open, splice, and tape it all back together again (a.k.a. - extreme ghetto mod);

Well, the wire wedged between the plastic pegs inside the controller probably aren't the problem because Turbo Pads fail much more often than the otherwise identicle Duo Pads.

In twenty years of gaming, I've only had a controller connection break in the middle of the cable once (and that was from a guinea pig), so I'm ruling that out.

TZD's claim, written during Steve's time, seems the most likely: "Most pads fail because the pins on the connector break."

I've had 3-4 Turbo Pads go bad now but there' never anything visibly broken when I look at the pins, so the problem must occur within the connector.  The hard plastic DIN connector is a lot harder to open than the cable, but I'll try to bust it open and take a look.

and if the problem is at the DIN connector, then you could easily cut it off and wire up a replacement (though that'd make these short ass cables even shorter). 

How would I wire a replacement that would be sturdy enough to withstand the force of yanking those pins in and out?  What could I use to replace the whole connector?
Alternatively, you could buy one of the cheap extension cables, cut off the female end, and wire it up to the controller connector from your dying cable; you should be able to determine the correct wiring by disassembling and examining the ends of the two soon to be trashed cables. 

I could convert Turbo Pads into Duo pads that way, put I'd like to find a source of Turbo-sized connectors.
Suck that, Redfrog!

Word

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 11:31:03 AM »
How would I wire a replacement that would be sturdy enough to withstand the force of yanking those pins in and out?  What could I use to replace the whole connector?

It may sound crazy, but I'd replace the whole connector with a replacement whole connector:)

I could convert Turbo Pads into Duo pads that way, put I'd like to find a source of Turbo-sized connectors.

D-oh!  Missed the giant DIN requirement.  Scour the interwebz and I'm sure you'll find 8 pin DIN-8 cables, but likely not at a very wallet friendly price.

Zeon

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:49:37 PM »
Here ya go 75 cents a pop plus shipping AND there's no minimum order requirement!:

http://www.action-electronics.com/ppdin.htm#Stdcable

Oh and as far as broken pins go get a multimeter and set it to ohms (resistance) stick one probe end on each pin and the other at the source inside the pad. If ya get anything stable other than OL then you are good. It should read close to 0.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:51:48 PM by Zeon »

spenoza

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »
Since these sites have been posted... Which connector would be appropriate to use to create a stereo A/V cable for my Core Grafx?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 06:30:46 PM »
Since these sites have been posted... Which connector would be appropriate to use to create a stereo A/V cable for my Core Grafx?

I believe that would be a standard (non-mini) 5-pin, 180 degree connector; at least that's what my Duo's looks like.