Author Topic: Chi no Rondo English Translation, who's tried this??  (Read 686 times)

atr3yu

Chi no Rondo English Translation, who's tried this??
« on: July 14, 2008, 02:55:09 PM »
So I got around to doing a proper dump of my disc and applied this patch and it is only 30% doe but I swear it is only the intro that has been translated. I am 52% done and all voices are still in Japanese and it doesn't look like it will ever be completed either :( Why would Konami do such a horrible thing. I wonder if it would be possible to apply the anything from the English version of Rondo on PSP?? And no not the re-make the original one translated. I just wish it was as good as the Ys 4 English translation but I have no idea how to go about such a task shy of extracting the proper files.

Joe Redifer

Re: Chi no Rondo English Translation, who's tried this??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »
Applying the English text from the PSP version would be as easy as typing it anew.  For the voices you can record them and then patch them into the PC Engine version... except for the voices that come off of the ADPCM chip I reckon'.

Also, please refer to this game as Dracula X.  That sounds cool.  Chi No Rondo sounds homosexual.

atr3yu

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 03:18:41 PM »
:lol: No problem I prefer it myself but got flamed on another site for not using the "proper name". Now you say as easy as. Well I am not to tech inclined but if I can make my own DC rip from scratch I should be able to do this. Do you have any material I could read up on this so I at least have some ground to start from??

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »
Who cares? The game has like 100 words of dialogue in it, maybe. Consider yourself lucky that its so easy to enjoy one of the PCEs greatest games even though it was never released in English.

Snatcher on the other hand...

malducci

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:13:34 PM »
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this...

I doubt it'll be as easy as just replacing the text. If it were that easy, then PCE translations would be abound.

Assuming the text in the PSP game *uses* ASCII format so you can find it, you'll need to a hex editor to find the japanese text string format and a tile editor to change the hard coded text. There's the fact that replacement english strings won't properly fit back and you'll have to find the text pointer tables and make changes. The also no guaranty *all* the text will still fit. You might have to shorten phrases and content. If you get that far, there's also the issue that the system uses a larger font. You won't be able to fit many roman characters in a single line, which looks terrible. You'd have to know PCE assembly, hacking, the cd system arch, and spend hours trace through the original code to find out how it works. Hopefully there will be enough space to even change it (for the new replacement code). And since it's a CD game, there's no guaranty each level/area will use the same 'print' function/code or that any free space you found isn't used later in the game.

Then there's replacing the ADPCM and CDDA audio parts. That's probably the easiest thing, you still need to find a way to locate the ADPCM inside the data track, i.e. more hacking knowledge required.

With all that said, I know of another person who was working on this game. He has a replacement print routine up and running for the cinemas. He might know of the ADPCM locations - http://www.rpgclassics.com/subsites/twit/archive.html
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 04:17:29 PM by malducci »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »
No no no, I'm talking about looking at the text on the PSP with your eyeballs and then just typing the same damn thing on the PCE, provided the game engine supports the superior letters used by the English language, of course.  No need to hack through the PSP code... just play the game!

atr3yu

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 05:07:09 PM »
Who cares? The game has like 100 words of dialogue in it, maybe. Consider yourself lucky that its so easy to enjoy one of the PCEs greatest games even though it was never released in English.

Snatcher on the other hand...

That is why I have my JVC X'Eye :P Just ofr Snatcher and Sonic CD!

And we'll see, but thanks for the info and starting point.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:09:27 PM by atr3yu »

nodtveidt

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »
:lol: No problem I prefer it myself but got flamed on another site for not using the "proper name".
In that case, you'd be saying "Akumajyou Dracula X Chi no Rondo", as that is the proper name. I doubt that the flamer on the other site even knows what the proper name is; it's not Chi no Rondo and it's not Dracula X. Those are just parts of the proper name.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:19:44 AM by The Old Rover »

guyjin

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 02:24:26 AM »
Where is this other site so we can troll their noob asses?  :twisted:
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

ccovell

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 03:12:06 AM »
Yeah, ask those folks if they usually speak with the same reverence about Noroi no Fuuin or Shikkoku Taru Zensoukyoku  8)

*Castlevania II: Simon's Quest & GB Castlevania Legends.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 08:44:19 AM »
Yay language barriers

atr3yu

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 02:57:06 PM »
Yea it was on Blackcats-Games where I got flamed :(

Turbo D

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 02:59:32 PM »
That is why I have my JVC X'Eye :P Just ofr Snatcher and Sonic CD!

X'Eye is bad-ass! I love that thing! I like to think of it as the SegaDuo!  8)

Yea it was on Blackcats-Games where I got flamed :(

black cats are bad luck, you should only post here from now on.  :)

atr3yu

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 10:19:48 AM »
:lol: OK

guyjin

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 10:21:38 AM »
Black cats are good luck, if you feed 'em. (I've got 3!)  :D

Tatsujin must have dozens.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin