Author Topic: Odd issue with Basted  (Read 257 times)

geise

Odd issue with Basted
« on: July 15, 2008, 02:13:21 AM »
I have decided to start playing through some of my old SCD games.  I decided to play Basted.  It is an original and that is all I will ever play in my US Duo.  The issue is the very beginning audio track for the intro starts half way through.  So the intro is still going but the audio stops well before the intro ends.  It's the only game that does this!  Well that I've seen so far.  The cd is in mint condition.  I tried the CD in magic engine and it plays the intro fine.  It's just my Duo, and again it is the only game I've notice that does this.  I haven't really been having any issues with long load times or anything so I'm not sure if it is the lens.  The lens is the only thing I can think of.  Has anyone else experienced this issue with this game?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

vestcoat

Re: Odd issue with Basted
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:50:50 PM »
The issue is the very beginning audio track for the intro starts half way through.
Do you mean stops halfway through?

It sounds like your lens is starting to go bad.  I had similar problems with a Duo but didn't think it was my lens because  I only experienced the problem with some games and not others.  It also usually happened on intro tracks or music for the first level of a game.

Before you buy a new lens, try using a lens cleaner CD.   After that, get a screw bit, open up your console, and put a couple drops of oil on the spindle, metal rods, gears and other moving parts.  If that doesn't do it, try giving the white potentiometer a quarter turn one way or the other.  These techniques have solved some other problems I've  encountered but I believe you have a lens issue.

geise

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
Well I opened up the Duo today and put some more grease on the gears.  I also cleaned the lens.  Same problem persists.  I did notice cleaning the lens did fix cd audio issues I found with Gate of Thunder.  The intro music wasn't playing and neither was the music at the title screen.  I went into the options and rolled through the music tracks.  Some started right up while others took a couple button presses till it started playing.  Now I remember back in 93 playing the ending of Dracula X there was no CDA.  I thought it was just cause there were some very faint nicks on the cd.  Who knows how long it's been going bad.  I guess I'm just noticing it more since I'm finally putting more play time into my Duo again.  I'm sorry to say I've neglected it over the years and had it boxed up while in college.  Five years ago I got it back from my brother.  I finally started playing through my Duo library again, but had to do the Cap replacement on all the audio caps.  It fixed it and since then I've finally been able to play my Duo in all it's glory.  Well until now.  It's just hit or miss.  It will work wonderfully, or just skip audio tracks like crazy.  I guess it is finally time for a Hitachi HOP-M3 replacement.  Think I'll stock up on a couple since they're so cheap.  Anyways thanks a bunch for the suggestions.

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:25:35 PM »
Hey Geise, have you tried using a Japanese system card? One of my friends has a TurboDuo that would not play Dracula X correctly without using a Japanese system card (with hucard adapter of course.) I'm not saying this is the solution to your problem, but it is a suggestion.

geise

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 12:56:08 PM »
It's a nice idea, but I don't think that will do anything.  The Dracula X issue comes and goes.  I think it's a mixture of a couple small nicks on the cd and the lens itself.