Author Topic: D-Lite -- Show us Your PS One LCD Mod  (Read 470 times)

mcfreak

D-Lite -- Show us Your PS One LCD Mod
« on: July 21, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »
Hey DLite,
There was a post somewhere that you had modded a Turbo Express to do RGB out to a PSOne LCD.  I am curious where you tapped into the Turbo Express for R-G-B-Sync-Ground?  Do you have any pictures of the mod?  Did you use the 9 pin connector that was connected to the original built in LCD?

Thanks for the info!!

Michael Helgeson

Re: D-Lite -- Show us Your PS One LCD Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »
D-Lite screwed up on a bunch of deals and owes people money/stuff. Dont hold your breath for him to post this.

mcfreak

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:31:54 AM »
Damn.  Well I will keep working on my side then.  I am attempting to replace my Turbo Express LCD with an OLED one.  So far I have the OLED LCD working on a regular TG-16 using RGB/s so now I just need to find these outputs on the Express.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 03:16:48 AM »
Click Me, Sucka!

This dude tapped RGB on a GT, so maybe he can guide you along.  Unfortunately the pages are all in Korean (methinks), but maybe he speaks English or you speak Korean.  Good luck.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

mcfreak

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 06:20:17 AM »
Google did a pretty bad job translating:

"You can see that the picture was made outside of the RGB output.

That places the original TV tuner and connects to a PC terminal engine.
8-pin DIN connector, and size is very similar.
So I made there.

By the way, 8-pin connector also saw create suitable locations so was the feeling that this is it.

RGB connection with the monitor and use it well, and tastes a little funny, but I love this town."

At least he "loves this town"  :lol:

termis

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 09:43:11 PM »
Yeah, that's some seriously f'ed up translating.  Can't really expect too much out of those web-translators.

Anyway, guy basically states that he tapped the RGB signals the exact same way as he would out of the regular PCE, directly from the graphic IC chip.  (And according to him, the GT/Express uses the same ol' chip as the regular console PCEs.)  It's a tad dark because he didn't have room to put in an amp, so squeezing in an amp is something that he'll mull over later.

mcfreak

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 01:30:21 AM »
Okay, I'll go that route.  Thanks.

Duo_R

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »
I hooked up my PS2 to my PS1 LCD using RGB input. I used the AV port by hacking a cable, but you could also tap into the RGB input inside the LCD on the connector PCB. This shouldn't be hard but your RGB probably will need an amp to get an acceptable picture.

GameSX PS1 LCD<-----  This is a forum where I posted about using the PS1 LCD with RGB input. Lot's of information there on the PS1 LCD, combined with RGB hacking on the PC Engine you should be set.  I even made a custom stand for the screen:

the pic is blurry (i will try to find a better pic) but it looks amazing in person.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 03:56:57 PM by Duo_R »
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 05:46:20 AM »
Dude its weird I was going to post something about this last night and now it pops up!

I was thinking about replacing the screen in the turboexpress with a nintendo DS one, since I have a broken DS.....the touch screen blew out but the normal one is fine!

It would probably have a crisper image than the old TE one.

that and putting AV out jack on it, so I could run a composite cable, or an svideo one into a TV........ nothing would beat being able to just bring that to a friends house instead of the whole system :-D
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Duo_R

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 07:33:55 AM »
Stupid question but doesn't the Turbo Express and the japanese version have a Hu6260 chip in it? Why would that be any different as far as tapping into RGB as the duo?
Add my YouTube channel:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 08:10:21 AM »
Stupid question but doesn't the Turbo Express and the japanese version have a Hu6260 chip in it? Why would that be any different as far as tapping into RGB as the duo?

Read termis's post:

Anyway, guy basically states that he tapped the RGB signals the exact same way as he would out of the regular PCE, directly from the graphic IC chip.  (And according to him, the GT/Express uses the same ol' chip as the regular console PCEs.)  It's a tad dark because he didn't have room to put in an amp, so squeezing in an amp is something that he'll mull over later.

So tapping the video signal is easy enough, but finding a home for an amp and a connector is a different story.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Duo_R

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 10:12:33 AM »
Very interested in the idea of upgrading the LCD screen. The 5 or 6 pin ribbon cable that connects to the TE must just carry RGB signals correct? And a seperate cable carries power (we need to find out how much). Is there a possiblity of Casio TV screens that BenHeck uses?

Damn.  Well I will keep working on my side then.  I am attempting to replace my Turbo Express LCD with an OLED one.  So far I have the OLED LCD working on a regular TG-16 using RGB/s so now I just need to find these outputs on the Express.
Add my YouTube channel:

mcfreak

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 02:09:24 PM »
Very interested in the idea of upgrading the LCD screen. The 5 or 6 pin ribbon cable that connects to the TE must just carry RGB signals correct? And a seperate cable carries power (we need to find out how much). Is there a possiblity of Casio TV screens that BenHeck uses?

I couldn't find the sync signal on the ribbon so I had to go the Chip route.  I haven't gotten back to this project but I plan to soon.

Duo_R

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »
have you read Ben Heck's book on making portables? I bet we could do some sick things to the TE if we read that...I am wondering if an NPF550 Sony Lithium would power the TE efficiently, especially with a better screen (and bigger one).
Add my YouTube channel:

Duo_R

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 09:52:29 PM »
Took another look tonight, there is room to fit an amp, the ones that I have seen aren't that big. Easily fit behind the battery compartment, or even behind the screen.

Ideally we could figure out the ribbon pinout for this one, would make it alot easier. Has anyone tried tracing the ribbon connector to the HU6260?

So tapping the video signal is easy enough, but finding a home for an amp and a connector is a different story.
Add my YouTube channel: