Author Topic: Ys IV -- How long?  (Read 158 times)

romanoaj

Ys IV -- How long?
« on: July 24, 2008, 05:47:43 PM »
Okay, spent a few days playing the Ys series in order.  Books I and II took a couple of days, III a day and a half.  IV seems interminable (not in a bad way necessarily).  Just curious, for those who have played it, how long it took to complete.  Thanks. 

Keranu

Re: Ys IV -- How long?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 07:01:39 PM »
I believe Ys IV usually took me around 9 hours to beat, but my first time playing it probably took around 10-12. I used to always think of it as being just a little shorter than I & II.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Turbo D

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 08:52:52 PM »
I've yet to play it. I loved the first three soooo much, so I def have to pick it up!

shubibiman

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:00:16 PM »
This episode is not so long. The first time, it took me something like 15 to 18 hours (I was young, innocent and didn't understand japanese at all). Now, it would take no more than 10 hours. Ys IV is certainly one of the most beautiful games for the PCE, in my opinion.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 10:22:37 PM »
I agree. I think Ys IV's graphics are often overlooked by some of other bigger boyz like Dracula X, but Ys IV's graphics are very solid and pretty the whole way through. Nice and big and extremely colorful, and there were a few cool effects along the way (I particuarly liked the part where Adol falls off the waterfall and the graphic designers actually drew the frames to show it switching perspectives).

I also think Ys IV has a fantastic soundtrack that is sometimes a little overlooked by Ys fans since it wasn't quite the same as I & II. It's got some really catchy and boogie beats to it, complemented with that signature Ryo Yonemitsu style.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

romanoaj

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
Okay.  Finished.  Play clock reads 22 hours.  I would say at least one of them was spent recharging my magic while running errands around my house.  It was rather rewarding and did not consult a walkthrough.  I especially enjoyed the "meet the developer" session at the end.  (translated of course).  One of the programmers leaves us with the profound words "Yuri Shiratori is hot!" which prompted me to find out just who Yuri Shiratori is, and yes, she is hot.