Author Topic: White PC Engine Problem  (Read 200 times)

ACSeraph

White PC Engine Problem
« on: August 04, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »
Hi guys, my wife just got back from Japan and brought me a white PC Engine back as a gift, but after hooking everything up I could never get it to work. I own a lot of game consoles, and I dont feel like I've hooked it up wrong, but there must be some obvious mistake I'm making with it... It says on the console next to the power jack to use a 9 volt adapter with negative center polarity I believe, and so I went out and bought an adjustable adapter and set it to those settings to use with it, and I'm using an RF switch for an NES, but I've also tried it with a generic RF and an RF for an SMS. I read somewhere online that if the switch is set to channel 1 then it should display on my TV at channel 95, or channel 96 when switched to 2, but I didn't get anything when i tried that or the typical channel 3. Does anyone have any ideas what Im doing wrong? Do I need an actual japanese RF switch for it or am I using the wrong kind of power cord maybe? Ive tried it on both my wide screen hdtv and my flat screen back projection tv with no luck on either. Thanks for any help you can give me, I really hope it isnt broken.

SignOfZeta

Re: White PC Engine Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »
Try it on as many TVs as possible. Tuning Japanese signals is something that sometimes never works with some TVs. Its probably not broken, you just can't see the signal. If all else fails buy a AV booster or CDROM attachment so you can get a composite signal out of it.

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:49:47 PM »
The white PC Engine plays on a couple channels in the 70's or 90's. I never remember which, because at the time I narrowed them for both the Famicom and PC Engine. I'm pretty sure that it was the Famicom that was in the 90's and the PC Engine was the 70's.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 07:50:22 AM »
ACSeraph has the correct channels, Black Tiger - the US's channels 95 and 96 are the closest matches to Japan's channels 1 and 2.  Unfortunately they aren't exact matches, so your set might not be able to tune in properly.  One thing that you could try is to check for a antenna/cable setting, toggle it from whatever it's currently set to, and try the PCE again.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Digi.k

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:07:30 AM »
you might have better luck getting a AV booster where can connect the pc engine via composite cables..

Mind you newer TV's such as LCD have problems displaying older consoles..

Turbo D

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 08:50:32 PM »
I don't think that you hooked it up wrong either. My guess is that its some sort of compatibility problem. I know personally how frustrating it can be to score a sweet white pc engine only to have problems getting it to work on your tv. I made a help thread too! haha. My problem was that I didn't have my tv set to "cable" mode, so I wasn't able to try those funky channels. It ended up on ch.95 and 96 though. The PcEngine is a sturdy and reliable bastard, don't give up on her!