Author Topic: White PCE, only displays a white screen?  (Read 446 times)

mmmonkey

White PCE, only displays a white screen?
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:41:45 AM »
Hi everyone :)

I recently got my first PC Engine last week.  What a beautiful little machine!  I've got a couple of games sat here waiting to play on it - Pac Land and Shinobi in particilar.

The machine came to me with the RF unit in place, I had no way of testing it so had to go ahead and RGB mod it.  I tried it tapping the RGB signals from both the ext bus port and from the chip but all I get on the screen is white, nothing else.

I know that the TV switches to 60hz mode, but that's as far as it gets.  I have cleaned the contacts on all my games, and on the console itself.  I even put a thin business card in the cart slot, then put the hucard in ontop of that - hoping the business card would push the hucard onto the contacts.

It seems no matter what I do, I'm stuck with a white screen - it's been confirmed to me elsewhere that a white screen is what you get if no card is inserted, but could there also be a problem elsewhere that I could look at?

Any help appreciated.

Ta
Pete

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: White PCE, only displays a white screen?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »
why could you not test it with an RF connection? 
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Duo_R

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:50:45 AM »
could the system just be dirty??? I have a cartridge cleaner for my duo and onetime i had to clean it for a couple of hours. Might be due for another cleaning because some games keep coming up with the white screen.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

mmmonkey

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:45:38 AM »
Neither of my TVs like a japanese RF signal, couldn't tune it at all :(

I've spent so long cleaning it, I'm sure the contacts are fine.  I'm currently in talks with pcenginesales on here to buy another one now though, so I'll keep this for spare parts and the pad it came with.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 12:41:35 PM »
strange.  Are you a PAL tv user?

Maybe you can locate an NTSC tv, and a step down transformer to test out the RF?

>_<

Its also possible you broke it while modding it!
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

mmmonkey

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:05:53 AM »
Yep, I'm in the UK - handy for TVs with RGB Scart sockets :)

I first of all tried modding it using the points on the Ext Bus, nowhere near any chips.  White screen though, just out of curiosity I tried getting RGB from the hu6260 afterwards and still got a white screen.

Are there any known issues with chips inside the console that could also cause the white screen.  In particular the hu6260 that the RGB signals are tapped from?

(I did also agree with pcenginesales to buy a unit yesterday, just waiting for payment details so I should have a working one soon anyway - can't wait)

papa_november

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 02:36:31 PM »

Has the machine been region modded or anything like that? A botched region mod will behave as you describe.

mmmonkey

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 09:11:37 AM »
Nope, no region mod.  But I'm going to concentrate on the board with the card slot on, and see if I can find anything wrong with it.  That's for another day now, I've just arranged another one :)