Author Topic: Advice for people who have/want a modded Duo system  (Read 307 times)

erik

Advice for people who have/want a modded Duo system
« on: September 06, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »
   Hello,
     I noticed on some of these forums that various people have been having some issues with RGB-modded and region-modded Duos.  I am no exception to this rule.  I purchased an RGB-modded system 3 weeks ago and love it to death, but there are some realities us owners must face:
    - RGB leads can become detached from HU6260 chip if banged around.
       I had my 'red' wire become detached, but luckily was able to solder it back on :)
       Picture was a yucky blue-green tint before fixing.

- Region mod wires can also detach from card slot.
       I got a 'white picture' on USA/JP settings, and discovered a wire was knocked loose(resoldered no problem) :o

This is just an advisory that anyone who owns a modded system that wires can become detached and cause problems, and that these problems can be easily fixed if you just look around the circuit a little bit. I sold an RGB-modded Duo to member JKM and he had his 'green' wire come loose, so anyone who wants a modded system should understand the risks involved.  A little bit of soldering skills goes a LONG way!!

Duo_R

Re: Advice for people who have/want a modded Duo system
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 06:32:21 PM »
Using small blobs of glue helps prevent this from happening. Specifically gluing the wires leading out from the solder area (this helps brace for strength). The quality of the install goes a long way. If you got a really good solder it shouldn't come loose. Now soldering to tiny pins such as the  Hu6260 are very tough to get a good solder on (it is tricky). There is a very good article on gamesx.com that discusses basic soldering technique:

http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/solder1.htm

If a connection were to come loose just by a bump, either there was a poor solder point, or the wire was weak and at risk of breaking loose.
Good solder + good wire + good technique = good mod

Also use of electrical tape can also help keeps your mods in place (but I now use glue). Don't ever tape directly over the solder area because if you ever were to pull off to inspect a connection you could break something loose.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 06:40:47 PM by Duo_R »
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

SignOfZeta

Re: Advice for people who have/want a modded Duo system
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 07:05:12 PM »
I should hope that this goes without saying.