Author Topic: The Favorite PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 Game to Play on Virtual Console.  (Read 865 times)

Game and Watch Kirby

During my trip to New Jersey, with Lords of Thunder downloaded on my Wii, I had finally gotten the chance to play it after purchasing it around April (I had plenty of other games for the Wii to take care of first). From first seeing the intro, I was getting EXCITED since I was aware I was getting into some greatness (and was partically amazed that it could run at a smooth framerate). Once after playing it for a while, I found that this title was absolute fun, and I LOVED to play it for a long while in the day. The soundtrack is incredible (of course, as I've heard its greatness before), and I love to kick back and listen to it on the Configuration screen every so often. I hardly noticed any blurring effects for the graphics, too (maybe except for the flames in the room where the armor selection is made and the dull-looking colors for the final bosses), which could be from the type of television being used (I told SuperPCEngineGrafx that it might've not been a big deal to me, but he knew that tube televisions wouldn't have a great loss in screen quality).

From its sheer difficulty, after playing through multiple attempts whenever I had the chance to play it, I had finally beaten Lords of Thunder on Normal mode this morning before going to my college class. It was very interesting to see what Landis looked like without his armor, and how him and the store woman (I think she has a name, but I can't find it anywhere) gazed lovely at each other before the credits roll.

From where it stands, Lords of Thunder is currently my favorite TurboGrafx-16 title on Virtual Console. I'm looking forward to downloading Star Parodier sometime soon once I am not greatly busy or my payments are not a great burden.

Others are free to say what their favorite games from the service are here. Even if they do not have one, they can state what they would like to see from there, as well.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: The Favorite PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 Game to Play on Virtual Console.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 07:18:05 PM »
None of them.  I hate the Virtual Console, and the Wii :)

Waste of money.  I wish I didn't own it. >_<
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Sensei

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »

Really?  I love the Wii.  It (and the DS) brought me back into buying new video games (rather than just retro stuff) and is the only console my friends and family will even touch at parties.

I havn't like a system as much as the Wii in a long time.

Still, I have bought very few VC games.  I'm one of those guys who like to play the games on their original hardware.  Still I might get Cho Aniki just to show support for bringing more odd games like it out of Japan.

Duo_R

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:32:14 PM »
I bought YS I&II even though I own the original....because the Duo is in the RGB mod shop....  :dance:
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 02:47:51 AM »
...the only console my friends and family will even touch at parties.

Then your friends and family suck - Bomberman '93/'94 for the win!  :P
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 03:28:43 AM »
I bought YS I&II even though I own the original....because the Duo is in the RGB mod shop....  :dance:

ah! You're going through with it!! Can't wait to hear about the results.  8)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Duo_R

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 10:57:46 AM »
Yup - well the duo is getting some upgrades and mods:

Add my YouTube channel:

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 01:22:32 AM »
During my trip to New Jersey, with Lords of Thunder downloaded on my Wii, I had finally gotten the chance to play it after purchasing it around April (I had plenty of other games for the Wii to take care of first). From first seeing the intro, I was getting EXCITED since I was aware I was getting into some greatness (and was partically amazed that it could run at a smooth framerate). Once after playing it for a while, I found that this title was absolute fun, and I LOVED to play it for a long while in the day. The soundtrack is incredible (of course, as I've heard its greatness before), and I love to kick back and listen to it on the Configuration screen every so often. I hardly noticed any blurring effects for the graphics, too (maybe except for the flames in the room where the armor selection is made and the dull-looking colors for the final bosses), which could be from the type of television being used (I told SuperPCEngineGrafx that it might've not been a big deal to me, but he knew that tube televisions wouldn't have a great loss in screen quality).

I only tried LoT VC once, but the colors did look off (maybe duller) in a few spots from what I remember.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 04:17:46 AM »

Really?  I love the Wii.  It (and the DS) brought me back into buying new video games (rather than just retro stuff) and is the only console my friends and family will even touch at parties.

I havn't like a system as much as the Wii in a long time.

Still, I have bought very few VC games.  I'm one of those guys who like to play the games on their original hardware.  Still I might get Cho Aniki just to show support for bringing more odd games like it out of Japan.

I find all the gimmicky controls to be annoying.  Metroid Prime 3 requires me to not slouch or remove aim from screen.

Its sposed to be immersive so why are my shots and my current POV linked ?  Samus doesn't wear a face cannon. >_<

Trauma Center and Super Swing Golf were nice. ..... NiGHTS was kind of a let down.  It was a bit unpolished.

I wish they'd stop using WiiMote gimmicks and just make some nice to play games.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 12:49:21 PM »
Ys Book I & II and GoT.

Thats all I got so far...

I hope to compare them to the turboripped versions running on MednafenX on Xbox in a youtube video soon!

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 12:22:37 PM »
Bomberman '93 since it's the only VC game I have!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

guyjin

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 06:02:25 PM »
Bomberman '93 - always good fun with friends.
also, battle lode runner.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Duo_R

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 06:46:35 PM »
Battle Lode Runner - I have been trying to buy an import version forever but never landed a good deal. Would that be a good one to just buy on the VC?

Also - thoughts on Ninja Gaiden PCE ever coming to VC? Should I not hold my breath?
Add my YouTube channel:

Ratix

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 11:41:10 AM »
i highly doubt it duo_R if anything we'll get the NES release.

Duo_R

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 12:12:17 PM »
we already got the NES release!
Add my YouTube channel: