Author Topic: Question About Ys Book I+II US Packaging.  (Read 1183 times)

Keranu

Question About Ys Book I+II US Packaging.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2005, 03:42:34 PM »
Yeah the Canada point could be very true.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 12:59:14 AM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
Quote from: "Keranu"
I know the Turbo CD one came with a map.

Not all the Turbo CD versions came with a map. Mine didn't. Neither did my Dragon Slayer(I bought nearly every Turbo game brand new back in the day).

But both were bought here in Canada, so maybe we just got shafted(although I've since found a few used copies locally with maps).

That sucks.  Perhaps you were unlucky and your initial copy was part of a bad batch.

By the way, where in Canada did you live?  I have three US HuCard manuals in French (space harrier was one of them, can't remember the others)... these must have been for Canadian (French) market, right?  Have you ever seen any of these french manuals?

Thanks in advance :)
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 01:34:14 AM »
I've owned two copies of Ys I & II (the first was the one that came as the Duo pack-in and the second I bought from TZD, it came from a Canadian warehouse) and I remember both coming with the map. I wish I still had either of them but I don't. Although it's interesting...the one I got from TZD came with two manuals (English and French) but I tossed the French manual. Again, I wish I hadn't...

Black Tiger

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2005, 06:27:43 AM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
I've owned two copies of Ys I & II (the first was the one that came as the Duo pack-in and the second I bought from TZD, it came from a Canadian warehouse) and I remember both coming with the map. I wish I still had either of them but I don't. Although it's interesting...the one I got from TZD came with two manuals (English and French) but I tossed the French manual. Again, I wish I hadn't...

I got both french & english manuals with each of my Turbo games.

But neither my original boxed Ys nor the Turbo Duo pack in ever came with a map.

I guess I was unlucky several times. Thereare probably other titles that were supposed to have maps that I don't know about.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2005, 07:15:39 AM »
I have a French manuel for Monster Lair. I read on a website once that they were translating manuels in French for the many French people that would import PCE stuff. I don't know if I could find the link again on that one though, but I think the person might be confused.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2005, 07:32:21 AM »
I have a French manuel for Monster Lair. I read on a website once that they were translating manuels in French for the many French people that would import PCE stuff. I don't know if I could find the link again on that one though, but I think the person might be confused.

I wonder if someone has compiled a list of the known french manuals?
If not, we'll start one :)  My french manuals are for TG-16 HuCard (same layout as US manuals, including cover art), which suggests North America, since France was into the PC Engine.

By the way, I bought L-Dis from a dude in France and it came with a 8.5 x11, 2-sided,xeroxed, translated guide based off of the manual.

Pretty kool, huh?  I wish the US importers had done stuff like that back in the day.

French manuals:
CD
1. Ys
2. Monster Lair

HuCard
1. Space Harrier
2. (gotta look)
3. ""

(I'll make a new thread for this list, methinks).  I'll also post it at ME forums, since folks there might be more familiar with this :)
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2005, 08:02:32 AM »
Quote from: "stevek666"

I wonder if someone has compiled a list of the known french manuals?
If not, we'll start one :)  My french manuals are for TG-16 HuCard (same layout as US manuals, including cover art), which suggests North America, since France was into the PC Engine.

By the way, I bought L-Dis from a dude in France and it came with a 8.5 x11, 2-sided,xeroxed, translated guide based off of the manual.

Pretty kool, huh?  I wish the US importers had done stuff like that back in the day.

French manuals:
CD
1. Ys
2. Monster Lair

HuCard
1. Space Harrier
2. (gotta look)
3. ""

(I'll make a new thread for this list, methinks).  I'll also post it at ME forums, since folks there might be more familiar with this :)

Basically, ever Turbo game released in Canada has a french manual(they might've stopped near the end), so just minus the U.S. only titles-

Side Arms
Working Designs titles

I just remember that I also wrote WD a letter back in the day asking them to sell their games in Canada and got a reply saying that they wanted to and were looking into it.

Keranu

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2005, 02:24:06 PM »
WD didn't sell games to Canada? That's not very nice. Those hosers need to take off, eh?

Black Tiger

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2005, 03:18:58 PM »
WD didn't sell games to Canada? That's not very nice. Those hosers need to take off, eh?

I had to hork a copy of Vasteel(chose it over Exile, limited Smokes $'s) south of the boarder during a road trip to Seattle.

Before taking off to the Great White North my bro picked up a few SMS games we'd never seen before(GnG, Golden Axe Warrior and something else).

I ordered Exile direct from WD later on and another hosehead I know bought Cosmic 2 a couple years earlier from some mail order import store.

On a different Seattle trip without me, I got my mom to pick Side Arms. Even though my first CD game years back was Side Arms Special(like I said in another post, I was a mad Turbo fan from the get go).

Keranu

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2005, 03:32:16 PM »
Beauty vocab you have there eh? (hork, hosehead)

Good thing you were able to get some WD games from those knobs.