Author Topic: PC Engine game packaging  (Read 453 times)

doomfarer75

PC Engine game packaging
« on: March 17, 2005, 09:33:11 AM »
Just curious,  did early original PCE games come with a box AND jewelcase?  or just jewelcase..and if so..did they eventually go to just the plastic tray..i suspect not..as the tray method was doubtles a means for poor TTI to save some bucks....or maybe they came with a slidecover,  like supergrafx games...any help?  I never see any PCE games up with a box,  so I think no box..but you never know
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

esteban

PC Engine game packaging
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 10:38:31 AM »
hey doom,

the Japanese games were shrinkwrapped jewel cases... except for maybe some special packages (i.e. I have a boxed Forgotten Worlds which came with a 3-button pad).

dj898 (i think), has a thread at digitpress with a HuCard packaged in a VHS or DVD case (that's odd, never heard of that before).

in North America:

originally, all games came with box and jewel case and styrofoam.

then, during the TTi era, jewel cases (and styrofoam) were eliminated from hucards.

also, boxes were eliminated from CD games.

there was a thread on this at digitpress ... can't remember when.
  |    | 

dj898

PC Engine game packaging
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 11:21:51 AM »
yep my hanafuda game from Hacker International is packaged in VHS size case although I've seen one in normal CD jewel case size... In general JPN release were STD CD jewel case size factor sealed although some came in paper sleeve and I believe all SGX titles were with paper sleeve...

p.s. Hacker International is well known for their unofficial titles so it doesn't surprise me that they released some kind of LE 1st print or something...

dj898

PC Engine game packaging
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 07:37:44 PM »
and here are two different packaging...

doomfarer75

PC Engine game packaging
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 12:48:20 AM »
nice..thanks for the info guys!  hacker international..what's their story?
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

dj898

PC Engine game packaging
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 04:55:12 PM »
Hacker International is the company behind the GameExpress hucard.
when NEC won't officially support they went ahead and make several titles for PC Engine Duo using their own system/RAM card called GameExpress card. Those titles won't run without the card... AV Tajyou - a hentai parody of Tanjou is one example and why it cost a lot on eBay... I sold mine for close to $100 last year...

esteban

PC Engine game packaging
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 11:02:33 PM »
Quote from: "dj898"
Hacker International is the company behind the GameExpress hucard.
when NEC won't officially support they went ahead and make several titles for PC Engine Duo using their own system/RAM card called GameExpress card. Those titles won't run without the card... AV Tajyou - a hentai parody of Tanjou is one example and why it cost a lot on eBay... I sold mine for close to $100 last year...

the only thing I would add is that the Hacker International catalog is primarily Hentai-lite titles... or, more accurately, they are "adult-themed" games...  they released a bunch of stuff, IIRC.
  |    | 

dj898

PC Engine game packaging
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 11:28:15 PM »
and the most expensive ecchi titles on PC Engine imho are Crazy Hospotal and Hi-Leg Fantasy... I've been after these two for 5-6 years now but haven't found 'em at decent price - I ain't gonna pay for $100+ each...  :twisted:

Black Tiger

PC Engine game packaging
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 06:49:52 PM »
Early PCE Hu Cards have a special one piece black/grey base with a standard jewel case door. The title was printed on a waxy sticker that sticks to the side like a spine and there's usually(always?) a round sticker on the middle of the back. Plus the card is held in place with a clear plastic bridge and the card has a smooth thick sleeve.

This is the same with Turbochips that have cases.

Later on, Hu Cards switched to real jewel cases with real cardboard inlays like CD games. But instead of the inner CD harness they have a HuCard slot with hooks that snag onto the new type of sleeve with matching holes.

Some of the later Turbo & PCE Hu Card sleeves are thinner and have a texture to the outside.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

PC Engine game packaging
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 01:57:20 PM »
Later on, Hu Cards switched to real jewel cases with real cardboard inlays like CD games. But instead of the inner CD harness they have a HuCard slot with hooks that snag onto the new type of sleeve with matching holes.

Those hooks aren't worth a damn, are they?  I always felt that the hooks should be facing the opposite direction... to keep the plastic sleeve firmly in place.
  |    | 

Keranu

PC Engine game packaging
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 03:19:45 PM »
I always thought the HuCard clip holders in the US cases were kind of handy.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

PC Engine game packaging
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 10:39:10 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I always thought the HuCard clip holders in the US cases were kind of handy.

yes, the U.S. clips were a much better design, from a practical standpoint. It's one of those surprising moments when we (in NA) get an improvement (instead of a bastardized, watered down version).  The US HuCard jewel case was perfect for travel... whereas the Japanese versions allowed HuCards to easily dislodge themselves.
  |    |