Author Topic: Good PC Engine Platformers  (Read 403 times)

KingDrool

Good PC Engine Platformers
« on: March 20, 2005, 09:44:19 AM »
I'm looking for a couple good platform/adventure games to play on my PC Engine that were NOT released here in the states.  Also, it'd help if they didn't have a lot of Japanese text in them as I read no Japanese.

Any suggestions?
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Keranu

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 02:19:17 PM »
Aoi Blink - A fun game where you control three different sets of characters for different levels. The language barrier isn't bad at all and there is even a translation for the ROM.

City Hunter - It's cool and sort of fun, but it's not really that good. Worth a try.

Momo Tarou Densetsu Katsu Geki - Very cool platform game with a little RPG elements tied in. It's part of the famous Japanese Momo Tarou Densetsu series. It's playable without knowing Japanese, but it would be nice to know what some people say in this game.

Photograph Boy - This game has very creative gameplay. You control this dude with a camera and you have to take pictures of things while you walk by levels. The more bizaar things you take pictures of, the more points you get. You have to get a certain amount of points to pass each level. This game is very unique and fun and even has a cameo of Michael Jackson in the second level! No Japanese language knowledge needed to have fun with this game.

Genji Tsushin Agedama - A pretty cool platform like game with shooter elements involved. The graphics are rather nice for a Hucard game and the game is pretty fun to play. If you are looking for a challenge however, this game is rather simple. Other than that, it's a game you may want to pick up and there really isn't much talking at all.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Zerojean

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 05:39:08 AM »
Was Jackie Chan released in the USA?

Whatever, thats one of the best game evarrrrr!
Baseley09 in disguise.

KingDrool

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 08:03:22 AM »
Yeah, that one did show up in the US.  Great game.

Keranu, I tried Aoi Blink last night.  Very cool.  I didn't really understand the objective of it, but had a good time anyway.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 08:03:26 AM »
Yes Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu made it to the US.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Zerojean

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 12:41:14 PM »
Wow I always thought Aoi Blink was gonna be something jap lewd unplayable, the screens look really great might have to track it down.
Baseley09 in disguise.

esteban

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 02:54:10 PM »
hahaha.  I just bought the Aoi Blink HuCard and got it in the mail. I'm glad it ain't total crap, because I bought it without sampling it in emultion.

ON TOPIC:

alice in wonderdream -- probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I had fun with this HuCard ... i don't know... it's a cute, simplistic platformer that looks nice but seems firmly rooted in famicom/NES platformer traditions.

NOT REALLY ADVENTURE, BUT ACTION:

don doko don -- if you're in the mood for a one screen bubble-bobble type of game.  I love this game.  again, not everyone's cup of tea. if you're in the mood for this... there's a liquid kids HuCard (haven't played it yet)...

Shinobi / Ninja Gaiden HuCards -- better versions found elsewhere... decent, but not particularly noteworthy.

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC RANT:

iga ninden gaou -- (note: CD game) .... the person who sold me this touted it as a "legendary axe killer" and I felt like a sucker because this can't compare to legendary axe.  I really don't think this is a good game, but for some reason it has grown on me and I keep playing it.  Maybe I'm in denial and simply want to "get my money's worth" out of this game.  who knows?  It plays like a telenet platformer (valis II)....but it's not as good as valis II.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 09:20:26 PM »
What did you think of Aoi Blink, Steve? It seems like a cutem'up you might like, even though it's not so cutesy.

Quote from: "Steve"
alice in wonderdream -- probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I had fun with this HuCard ... i don't know... it's a cute, simplistic platformer that looks nice but seems firmly rooted in famicom/NES platformer traditions.

Haha, there is something about that game that brings you back to it. I think it's the fact that it looks and feels a lot different from other platform games. I'm not sure if I've ever made it past the first level in this game, I might have, but it's the only level I really play. I actually kind of like the music for the first level.

don doko don -- if you're in the mood for a one screen bubble-bobble type of game. I love this game. again, not everyone's cup of tea. if you're in the mood for this... there's a liquid kids HuCard (haven't played it yet)...

I love that game! Bubble Bobble mixed with gnomes makes a very fun game! I've played Liquid Kids and it's a pretty fun game as well. It's more of a platform game then the typical Bubble Bobble style. Nice sprite animations.

Shinobi / Ninja Gaiden HuCards -- better versions found elsewhere... decent, but not particularly noteworthy.

I think Shinobi is okay and better than the Master System one in ways, but Ninja Gaiden is a let down from the NES original. The cool thing about the PCE Ninja Gaiden is the fact that you can change the language from Japanese, English, Chinese, and maybe something else I forget.

iga ninden gaou -- (note: CD game) .... the person who sold me this touted it as a "legendary axe killer" and I felt like a sucker because this can't compare to legendary axe. I really don't think this is a good game, but for some reason it has grown on me and I keep playing it. Maybe I'm in denial and simply want to "get my money's worth" out of this game. who knows? It plays like a telenet platformer (valis II)....but it's not as good as valis II.

I've been wanting to play this game for awhile. I hear it's not so good from different people, but I have an acquired taste for bad games :D . I really didn't like Kaze Kiri because of the gameplay formula, so I think I would like this game more because it looks more platform like.

esteban

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 06:02:37 AM »
You know, I still haven't had a chance to play Aoi Blink.  I should disconnect the SMS and plug in the PC engine tomorrow night and give it a whirl.

I've been wanting to play this game for awhile. I hear it's not so good from different people, but I have an acquired taste for bad games  . I really didn't like Kaze Kiri because of the gameplay formula, so I think I would like this game more because it looks more platform like.

Well, iga ninden gaou is much more fun to play than Kaze Kiri, in my opionion.  Kaze was so goddammed repetitive and boring... Iga has kinda lame platforming (hence the Valis II reference) ... and the enemies are totally random (maybe the storyline puts things in context, but seriously, it's like a really old-skool platformer that throws enemies at you without an overarching theme or formula to keep things consistent).  

At several points in the game (i.e. boss controntations) there is a LONG, TEXT-HEAVY dialougue (not a cinema, not an audio track) that cannot be skipped (at least I haven't figured out how to skip it).  Quite annoying, if you can't skip the text.  But it seems that it is an attempt to develop the storyline ... that's neat if you understand Japanese.  In the future, screenshots + translation of these confrontations might be a worthwhile endeavor for the tg-16 preservation society :)

anyway, the character design in Iga could pass for a Valis-type universe, but with a liberal amount of aesthetics from feudal Japan mixed in.  

There are tons of weapons in Iga... if i recall correctly, though I don't know if they are implemented in a really neat manner (i.e. do you have to use specific weapons to pass specific obstacles? I like that, it forces you to experiment with different weapons.)

I don't think i ever beat Iga, but I got damn far in it (i.e. last boss).
  |    | 

Black Tiger

Re: Good PC Engine Platformers
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 06:13:50 PM »
Quote from: "jlued686"
I'm looking for a couple good platform/adventure games to play on my PC Engine that were NOT released here in the states.  Also, it'd help if they didn't have a lot of Japanese text in them as I read no Japanese.

Any suggestions?

I'm too tired tonight to dig up the names of the games that come to mind.
It also depends on how loose you are with defining 'platformer'(I consider anything questy as rpg).

Here's what I can remember the names of-

Conan Boy Of Future
Son Son II
New Zealand Story
Dragon Egg(?)
Bonze's Adventure -haven't played past 1st level, friend loves it
Strider -not as bad as its made out to be, still flawed like the original
Shibubuman (I don't like this series, but seems that I'm alone)
Shibubuman 3
Rastan Saga II -loved or hated
Chiki Chiki Boys
Bikkuriman World -the Hu Card
Drac X -without all that platforming, it'd just be Haunted Castle
Valis 1
Valis IV
Popful Mail

The Bull Fighter character game is supposed to be alright
The Farmer Kid game seemed good to me from a brief play
The Namco arcade port of the SD kid carried by a ghost on the cover
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum