Author Topic: PC Engine/ Duo tap  (Read 488 times)

DragonmasterDan

PC Engine/ Duo tap
« on: November 06, 2008, 03:47:20 AM »
I just got my new Duo yesterday and while it seems to play CDs a bit better than my old one ever did. It is a lot more finicky with the controller port. I've noticed that left and start seem to cut out a lot, moving the taps connector around resolves this issue. It does NOT do this on my other Duo and the pins all seem to be straight. This issue does not seem to happen when a pad is connected directly, any ideas?
--DragonmasterDan

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: PC Engine/ Duo tap
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 04:06:38 AM »
Since you have zero issues with your other Duo, it sounds like the problem lies with the new Duo's controller port (though it's a conundrum why it works fine when the pad is directly attached).  I'd try reflowing the solder for the controller port and see if it fixes the issue.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 06:22:19 AM »
Since you have zero issues with your other Duo, it sounds like the problem lies with the new Duo's controller port (though it's a conundrum why it works fine when the pad is directly attached).  I'd try reflowing the solder for the controller port and see if it fixes the issue.

I've had bad luck when opening my Duos (see my post history). So I'm debating just buying a new Duo tap and seeing if that helps.
--DragonmasterDan

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 07:08:03 AM »
This obviously won't help if problem is inside the Tap, but you could try swapping the cable from an extra controller to see if the problem is related to the Tap's plug.

Duo_R

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 07:47:56 AM »
Necro - the taps are wired differently than the controllers. So although the cable would plug into the tap, the controllers would not work properly. You can replace the cable on the tap (you just need to use that mac serial cable and rewire, or rewire with cable from a broken controller).

This obviously won't help if problem is inside the Tap, but you could try swapping the cable from an extra controller to see if the problem is related to the Tap's plug.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:15:17 AM »
Necro - the taps are wired differently than the controllers. So although the cable would plug into the tap, the controllers would not work properly. You can replace the cable on the tap (you just need to use that mac serial cable and rewire, or rewire with cable from a broken controller).

I'm well aware that the cables aren't simply plug 'n' play, but good guy nat has provided a lovely guide for doing the procedure (clicky).  As nat notes, the individual wires can be relatively easily reordered at the internal connector, allowing everything to put back in its original condition.

Duo_R

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 08:41:21 AM »
thanks Necro, nice little guide (going to save me time because I was just going to pinout with meter). Just wanted to make sure he doesn't do the same mistake I did once.
Add my YouTube channel:

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 02:27:31 AM »
thanks Necro, nice little guide (going to save me time because I was just going to pinout with meter). Just wanted to make sure he doesn't do the same mistake I did once.

I'm leaning towards buying a new tap.
--DragonmasterDan

Duo_R

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 07:33:26 AM »
are those pretty inexpensive these days?
Add my YouTube channel:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 08:09:36 AM »
are those pretty inexpensive these days?

They're as cheap as ever.  Redfrog has 'em new for $20 and they're plentiful on ebay for even less.