Author Topic: CD-ROM2, Ripped ribbon T.T (TurboCD on it's way)  (Read 374 times)

nikdog

CD-ROM2, Ripped ribbon T.T (TurboCD on it's way)
« on: November 07, 2008, 08:25:41 AM »
I just ripped a ribon in the drive and doubt it works now. ](*,)

idno if you can make it out but the ribbon is sticking up and i set the broken connector next to it.

does anyone have a dead cd-rom2 dirve i could have or the ribbon? <<can't replace it easly :(
edit: it connects to CN102 on the board

edit 2:does anyone in the south SF bay area have an old sony discman with a KSS-162A or KSS-220A laser i can buy for cheap?

Edit 3: got a like new TubroCD on it's way
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 12:22:36 PM by nikdog »

chop5

Re: CD-ROM2, Ripped ribbon T.T
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 10:03:17 AM »
eeeek!
can you do more detailed pictures? im curious.

i am soon to do a repair on a ribbon as thin as that. it will take all my skill and cunning.
this is what im up against:

its for those newer screen gameboy SP's

first i will cut some of the ribbon sticking out then will scrape away some of the material and expose the metal. either with sandpaper or sharp razor. then bridge it with some strong tape then use the tip of a needle dipped in that conductive ink and make new traces. This what ive heard other desperate people do to repair ribbons on lcd tvs and stuff. i wish i knew of a better way
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

nikdog

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 10:27:40 AM »
Well i closed it all back up and i'm currently looking for a KSS-162A or KSS-220A laser. If better pictures are really needed, i guess i could try and find time to open it up agian.

chop5

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 10:52:07 AM »
nah,thats ok. if you find a laser and open it up again to replace it do some pics then.
i was just curious if that ribbon is part of the laser or separate to the mechanism.
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

nikdog

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 10:58:49 AM »
sadly it's part of the laser :( i'm currently asking every one i know if they have a sony discman :lol: otherwise i'll have to order a KSS-220A cause no one carries KSS-162A anymore. I hope a KSS-220A works better then a KSS-162A.

agt_dale_cooper

Re: CD-ROM2, Ripped ribbon T.T .:¡Need Sony Discman!:.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 12:17:18 PM »
What is this unit you're working on (it's white)?  Laser assembly looks very much like that of a PlayStation (which is also a Sony product, mind you!)....get some better pics out here, I'll be happy to assist with PSX parts if it'll work...I'm sure I've got a laser here that doesn't work...Chops is right, though, this ribbon is part of the assembly itself, and is gonna require SKILLS to deal with.

Ripping ribbons SUCKS.  First iPod I opened for this HOT chick at where I used to work, ripped the ribbon, had to replace.  That sucked.  Wish she did as payment, but...no.

Chopsado, good luck with yours.  Selling those bowties?  I assume this works itself into an Express....got a connector you can use in the middle instead of the orange wire?  This would allow you to region switch by flipping the ribbon cable over 180 degrees and re-plugging...

nikdog

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 02:18:08 PM »
It's a NEC CD-ROM2 drive, the drive used in the PC-Enigne. :shock: For the time being i'm looking for an older Sony Discman as the pc-engine cd-rom attachment was based of this player. i'm hopping that the TGCD drive was also based off the sony discman, as i have a TGCD drive on its way to my house and i can steal a KSS-162A out of it.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 04:58:05 PM »
It's a NEC CD-ROM2 drive, the drive used in the PC-Enigne. :shock: For the time being i'm looking for an older Sony Discman as the pc-engine cd-rom attachment was based of this player. i'm hopping that the TGCD drive was also based off the sony discman, as i have a TGCD drive on its way to my house and i can steal a KSS-162A out of it.

The TG-CD drive is interchangeable with the CD-ROM2 drive; you'll be able to simply pop it in your briefcase and start gaming.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nikdog

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 05:43:27 PM »

The TG-CD drive is interchangeable with the CD-ROM2 drive; you'll be able to simply pop it in your briefcase and start gaming.

really? I was told that the TurboCD and the CD-ROM2 had different interface connectors. i may trade guts between the drives if they are the same.