Author Topic: Wonky Duo-R AC jack/Sega power supply/etc.  (Read 385 times)

somery

Wonky Duo-R AC jack/Sega power supply/etc.
« on: November 10, 2008, 02:47:56 PM »
A few issues...

1. I just noticed that the power supply that came with my Duo-R is a 10v Sega power supply. I believe the Duo-R takes a 9v. Is this... bad? If so, what's the best replacement AC adaptor that can be found cheap at, say, Radio Shack? (The unit has been working fine, btw.)

2. The unit doesn't power on unless I "re-seat" the AC adaptor plug in it's socket. What usually works best is pushing it to one side or the other. What's the best fix for this? Will buying a new, proper AC adaptor help or is this another open-up-the-case deal?

Welcome all thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!   :)

Duo_R

Re: Wonky Duo-R AC jack/Sega power supply/etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:01:51 PM »
did you buy it from Doujindance on ebay? You know what I did? I used a Sega CD Model 2 AC adapter, reversed polarity and I am good. The Sega CD Model 2 AC adapter is 9V, but the polarity is opposite of our Duo-R. So what I did was made an adapter (I hacked that Sega 10V cord) corrected polarity and now it is all good. Otherwise yeah get the Radio Shack one, make sure it has 9V and enough amperage, and make sure you set the polarity correctly. I have also noticed a universal adapter at Walmart that was like 12 bucks or something (and it is white colored).
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

somery

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:43:44 PM »
Duo_R to the rescue again!

Yup, it's a doujindance system. Do you know exactly which Rat Shack/Wal-Mart adapter I should get? I only ask because I wanna make sure I get one that actually fits the jack on the back of the system...  :mrgreen:

So you think the new adapter will fix the "loose" power supply jack issue?

Duo_R

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:16:23 PM »
So your problem is it is loose at the Duo connector end? That might need some resoldering done, shouldn't be bad.

Walmart one had a ton of plugs, gotta have one that fits on there (or the Radioshack). You could return it at either place so you have nothing to lose. Just make sure it fits, set to 9V and MAKE SURE polarity is correct.

Make sure you get one with enough amperage. I saw one at Best Buy last night that only had like 500ma, that isn't good enough for most systems. You need an adapter that has at LEAST 1000ma (or also displayed as 1 amp). Here is another thread where this was discussed:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=663.0

dj898

you need 9VDC @ 1000mA for PC Engine Duo/Duo-R/Duo-RX
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:21:19 PM by Duo_R »
Add my YouTube channel:

somery

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 07:21:30 PM »
Thanks again, man!  :D

blueraven

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:35:41 AM »
From what I've noticed in my limited experience with these systems, the Sega AC adapters run a bit hot, specifically due to the voltage and milliamp rating (my last one was 10v 850ma). I torched one of my PC Engine Duo's by running this AC adapter on an unshielded power strip, and after the first surge, the system went *pop*, and I had to do a few surgical fixes to get it back online.  I went to a electronics store and got a 9v 1000ma supply with a positive plug, the parts to adapt it to the duo with the supply included was $16.47. I got a plug adapter with it too. Waaaaay cheaper than spending $70 - $120 for an original one.   
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Duo_R

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 08:43:15 AM »
Yes I have some 10V sega adapters, but that is why I recommended the Sega CD 2 adapter it is rated at 9V.

Add my YouTube channel:

blueraven

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 08:46:49 AM »
Good call, I couldn't agree more. :)
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Duo_R

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 08:55:24 AM »
Just don't forget to change the polarity. Always check the markings on your system and ac adapter.
Add my YouTube channel: