Author Topic: geky's turbo cd unit is in need of a doctor, who can rise to the challenge!  (Read 263 times)

gekioh

HELP! My turbo cd unit is apparently sick and is need of some medical attention! Who can help that is very good and reliable with repairs! This is the problem, anytime I try to play cd games, they wont load, and i noticed that its cause the little cd mechanism or laser eye thingy isnt moving or doing anything. THIS SUCKS, has never ever happened to me before till today. PLEASE HELP, rescue my turbo someone!

kid_rondeau

I would bet that your unit is simply stuck, in which case I recommend you open the CD player and wet down the gears (any part that moves, essentially) with rubbing alcohol. The higher percentage you can get, the better. Most consumer stores only have up to about 75%...that's fine too.

Anyway, once everything's wet, manually move the gears with your finger so that the laser assembly moves as far as it will go in one direction, then switch rotation and go back to the other extreme.

Allow everything to dry completely, and reassemble.

A less likely scenario is that one of your drive gears is broken. If this is the case, you will notice it when you are turning the gears. Unfortunately, nothing much outside of getting a replacement gear will help here, and finding these exact gears has been a bit of a bugbear for me...

But good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

kid_rondeau

Oh, incidentally, are you the same Geki from Fighting Street? If so, cool!

agt_dale_cooper

Actually, I picked up 91% at Wal-Mart today (of all places)...label said "Warning:  Flammable", I said "Sold!".
UPC = 6 81131 68762 1, rings in at $1.42.
Works well, but leaves a white haze behind...don't be alarmed, just clean off with cotton swab or towel...

For whatever it's worth, I agree with the gear assessment....just take it apart, hope shit doesn't fall out  :-s
The TG16CD laser, like it's Duo counterpart, sometimes gets stuck too.....may be exactly that simple, just exercising/lubricating the gears..

["Gekioh - Shooting King" is actually an old PSX title (released under different titling in Asia for Saturn, prolly something else as well..)...great title for it's price tag.  Saw it recently, in fact, for $4.99 new/sealed at the weirdo grocery store across town]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 03:56:48 PM by agt_dale_cooper »

gekioh

okay i will give these suggestions a shot and hope for the best. Yes as matter of fact agt dale cooper hit right on the nose! I got my name from the shooter Gekioh Shooting King which in Japan is known as Shienryu and was first released in the arcades I beleive and then ported over to the Sega Saturn. I actually owned the Saturn import before ever byimg the PS1 version that was released here in the states! One of my favorite all time shooters!