Author Topic: FS: Beyond Shadowgate $99.99  (Read 460 times)

Black Tiger

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

FS: Beyond Shadowgate $99.99
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 02:41:55 AM »
i never thought i say this about a $100 game, but that was a good price for ebay.

did someone on these boards snatch it up?  lucky bastard.  

EDIT: not to tease the person who snagged BS for $100, but he / she recently sold this item:

EVIL LYN & TEELA Topless

I guess I'm clueless, but I never thought I'd see He-Man stuff like this.  The buyer was delighted and gave positive feedback: "absolutely friggin awesome artwork. I will be buying again from soon"
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 07:28:07 AM »
Yeah $100 is a pretty decent price for the game.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

RCduck7

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 04:04:36 AM »
Is there another name for this game?
I don't find any data of it on the pc engine software bible.
Is it really good?
don't be human... be peacefull

RCduck7

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 04:09:02 AM »
Ok, just found a review on gamefaqs where it gets a 9/10!

esteban

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 05:31:34 AM »
Quote from: "RCduck7"
Is it really good?

Check out the review (2 pages) and artwork featured in this issue of DuoWorld.

I totally dug this game back in the day.  I haven't played it since, but I'm sure I'd still enjoy it.  If you have the patience to gradually figure things out and experiment with stuff... then you'll dig it.  PC adventure point-n-click lovers will dig it.
  |    | 

doomfarer75

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 05:57:57 AM »
except it doesn't come with the poster, which is probably why it went so low maybe..
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 02:08:28 PM »
Quote from: "RCduck7"
Is it really good?

No, it's not really good. But still good.

For as long as it lasts its cool enough, although part of the appeal is it being one of the only of it's kind for PCE/Turbo.

Its fun to play through, but nothing special. Pretty much middle of the road.

If it went for $30 I'd say pick it up to play if you're a casual Turbo fan.

Otherwise if you just want to play it, are not buying it as a collectible and are not a crazed Turbo fan who's impressed by anything put on the system, you should at least try an iso or borrow the game before buying an original at such high prices.

Especially if you don't own every sub-$100 great PCE game already.

Because you can pick up 10 - 20 of the greatest RPG's of all time which are PCE for the same price or less.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

RCduck7

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 09:44:13 AM »
Thanks for the info Black Tiger

I'm a collector of eeeeeeeveryting retro.
From atari, commodore to dreamcast, you name it.
And maybe even recent consoles in the future.

So i guess since i only got recently set my focus on pc engine and it's family this game is not my toppriority and for now i just concentrate on the essential games.

Unless i win the lottery!  :lol:

Nemo

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 03:19:58 PM »
Part of the allure is definitely the fact that it's one of only 3 US-only CD games (official games that is).  If you can get over the fact that your guy moves so slow, it's a decent game, but I'd much rather play ShapeShifter from Icom.

GUTS

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 06:29:23 PM »
Ugh that He Man artwork is horrible, I can't believe somebody paid $60 for that.

lord_cack

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 07:44:55 PM »
Quote from: "Nemo"
Part of the allure is definitely the fact that it's one of only 3 US-only CD games (official games that is).  If you can get over the fact that your guy moves so slow, it's a decent game, but I'd much rather play ShapeShifter from Icom.

Some people want fast play some people want slow play. I for one loved this game. Graphics, music, the humor...everything about it. The guy is slow...but that is the Adventure style game. Its a point and click adventure not an action/adventure title. It just has some action/adventure elements to it.
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

Nemo

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 06:54:51 PM »
Quote from: "lord_cack"
Quote from: "Nemo"

Some people want fast play some people want slow play. I for one loved this game. Graphics, music, the humor...everything about it. The guy is slow...but that is the Adventure style game. Its a point and click adventure not an action/adventure title. It just has some action/adventure elements to it.

You're probably right, I never got into PC-style point and clicks, so this might be like most of those.  The point and clicks I like are on Nes, stuff like the original Shadowgate and Uninvited. The gameplay in those games was about methodic searching and a slow-forming mystery, which I like and when you pointed to something you didn't have to wait five minutes for a character to trudge across the screen.  When you know where to go it's not a big deal, but when you're backtracking and searching big areas it honestly was hindrance for me.