Author Topic: Duo_R Recent Mod (Review)  (Read 499 times)

araceli

Duo_R Recent Mod (Review)
« on: January 29, 2009, 10:24:50 AM »
 :dance:

So it all started a little while back when I purchased a US TG-16 system on amazon for like 35 dollars with all the hookups and a TurboStick. Well, when I first got it, having never had one of these systems, I thought all was well because 1, it turned on, and 2, I got a picture. But the picture kept becoming more and more tempermental. Until finally the RF unit completely died out on my system. So here I am with two new games on the way, and a dead Turbo.

In chat one day, I am telling my story, and Duo_R says, "Hey Ara (I am paraphrasing), I could fix your system for you". I was like really? And then we discussed whether we wanted to fix the rf or do a complete composite mod, and I said screw the rf box, lets just go for the composite. Duo was totally game. And since my system was dead, I really wasnt worried about it.

So I shipped it off to Duo to begin the process. Let me tell you this off the bat, Duo_R is an awesome guy. Not only does he communicate with you via e-mail or im constantly with updates, but you get pictures of the process too. And I will also say this man works fast.

So ok, the first picture I see is the coolest orange plug (matches the system), and yes, you guessed it, thats my composite video. Now this I didnt get to see until I got the system, but it was explained. There is a small hole in the back, very sleak and cool looking, where an audio jack plugs into. I love this mod. Instead of having to have the three red white and yellow coming out of the system, you just have the audio jack. Perfect. And to even add to the awesomeness. Duo_R took things a step further and made me a custom a/v cord, so yes, you guessed it, I have a yellow and a audio jack on one end and a rwy on the other end.

Now your thinking, so he did a video mod, so what. Uh uh uh, not so fast. Im not done. In fact, Im just getting started. My system is region modded. Oh yes. On the side of the console is a tiny white button a little bigger than a pinhead. Push it in, japanese, push it again, it pops out and its american. Unobtrusive, tiny, and works flawless. I dont know the exact work that went into. All I know is that I love it.

So you now say, wow, ok, so he did those two things, but those things have been done. I AM NOT DONE. Remember where the channel switch use to be. He installed a clear plastic winder, and now there is a LED that shines through when the system is on. YES a LED.

So NOW you say, that rocks, but...anything else? OH yes, he went one step further. He designed from scratch a converter that allows me to play my avenue 6 pad on my American Turbo Grafx 16. And yes, it is tested and everything works as it should.

Duo_R has a lot going for him, and there are a lot of reasons why you should choose him to do your modding.

1. Customer Service: Duo_R always puts the other person first
2. Communication: Duo_R gives you updates of your modification at each stage of progression
3. Ability: Duo_R is on the cutting edge and is not afraid to go above and beyond to make you happy
4. If there is something he doesn't have, he will go out of his way to get it

I have been very happy with my experience, and would recommend him to anyone.

araceli

Re: Duo_R Recent Mod (Review)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:38:31 AM »
I forgot to add one thing. He also cleaned my entire system, and covered the back of my system so no dust would get in it. I am not sure what he used to cover it, its like electrical tape but better, and looks really nice. Ok, :) just wanted to add that.

hoobs88

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 11:04:48 AM »
Duo_R did a controller mod for me. He transformed a Nintendo controller with turbo function and a headphone jack into a Turbo Duo/PC Engine controller. As a Nintendo controller, the headphone jack had mono audio and he converted it to stereo. No need for an extension cable since this controller has a 6 foot cord! I decided to customize it so it would look a little more "Turbo-riffic" so I made this label for it (although I had difficulty cutting out the holes for the buttons).

He does great work, he is very helpful, and knows a lot about modding. I have saved some of his procedures and will be attempting them on my own (or with his guidance) in the future.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

esteban

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 02:03:46 PM »
As a Nintendo controller, the headphone jack had mono audio and he converted it to stereo. No need for an extension cable since this controller has a 6 foot cord! I decided to customize it so it would look a little more "Turbo-riffic" so I made this label for it (although I had difficulty cutting out the holes for the buttons).

Absolutely brilliant. I love the idea of having 6' cord, plus a convenient headphone jack right there! Nice.
  |    | 

ceti alpha

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 02:53:43 PM »
The "Bee-otch" is most hilarious. lol

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Duo_R

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 03:20:04 PM »
Ara, I cannot thank you enough for all the kind words! I am glad you are happy with the work that I did. I ask alot of questions before modding to make sure I meet the owner's overall goals for the system.

I am glad you liked the little photo updates that I do while working. I had some more photos but just got too busy in the last week to send over. So without further ado.....here is Ara's system:

Audio Port                                                      Composite Video

The smallest region mod ever (that small white dot):

LED Powered off and on:

The Duosado.... (convert Duo controllers to TG-16  :lol: :lol: ):

Hoobs - thanks for also chiming in with your controller, that was a cool project.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

oldskool

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Most impressive.

ceti alpha

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 12:13:23 AM »
Most impressive.

Agreed. As I said to Duo-R on the shoutbox, that just may be the sexiest TG-16 in the universe.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

araceli

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 09:54:06 AM »
Here is a picture of my system lighted up in the dark:

araceli

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 06:30:23 PM »
Just wished to update everyone that my system is doing great. I have not had a single problem since Duo_R modded it. I've become quite addicted to Street Fighter 2'.  :clap:

TR0N

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 06:57:27 PM »
Duo_r did do a realy good job on your (TG16) araceli.I remember when you made the same thread at risingstuff for showing off what he did.Currently Duo_R is supose to be all most done modding my duo-r that i sent him a few months ago.I'll probably,make a thread to show what he done when i do get the console back.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Duo_R

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 09:32:02 PM »
Tron: PM Sent and I think you will be happy.......

PS - hey everyone, miss chatting with all of you. And yes I am still alive! :)
Add my YouTube channel:

TR0N

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »

Hopefuly soon i take it.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Duo_R

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »
Yup finally done Tron. Thanks for the patience!

Hopefuly soon i take it.
Add my YouTube channel: