Author Topic: Question about a run I’m doing. Video Posted!  (Read 501 times)

Ultra Luigi

Question about a run I’m doing. Video Posted!
« on: February 28, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »
Hey guys, as some of you know, I’m trying to attempt to beat Lords of Thunder yet again (I love this game) but this time I’m trying to beat it without using the shop, on Super mode. It’s been a real pain in the *** to be honest but I’ve enjoyed every bit of it. The boss rush mode has been a great help for practicing against the bosses and I want to thank you guys for letting me know about it. Although I still have a tough time against the lady boss from Auzal. I can’t think of a quick way to take her out, and by the time I beat her, I’ve received several hits. The pattern I use isn’t very reliable either. So far I’ve been able to beat about 4 stages but I still need a lot more practice playing on Cielom, Helado and Bosque.

Now here’s my question to finish this off. Crystal cap is at 10000 right? Would it really be necessary to grab them, when they don’t even increase your high score? Since I’m not using the shop, it’s kind of pointless to grab them, because I’m not going to spend them at all. Or should I grab them anyways?

If I do pull this off, it would look more impressive finishing the game at 10000 crystals, grabbing whatever I can throughout the stages, instead of just worrying about dodging projectiles. Eventually when I feel that I can complete this run, I am going to record it, and put it on youtube so show to my friends and you guys too if you want to see it. There’s several TG-16 games that I’ve uploaded on there like my not-hit run on Dragon Spirit and playing Vigilante. This would be one of my biggest gaming accomplishments, well next to what I did in SSBM.

So what do you suggest?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:50:30 AM by Ultra Luigi »

Black Tiger

Re: Question about a run I’m doing.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:40:20 PM »
If I were you I'd just try to complete the run as efficient as possible and see how many crystals you wind up with. Then decide if it's worth trying to max out (if it isn't already maxed).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:46:37 PM »
If I were you I'd just try to complete the run as efficient as possible and see how many crystals you wind up with. Then decide if it's worth trying to max out (if it isn't already maxed).
Agreed.

Build your strategy around the important stuff first, then add additional goals (like maxxin' out crystals).

BUT, here's something that will make things even more impressive: ditch Lords of Thunder and do this run in Fantasy Zone. :)
  |    | 

Ultra Luigi

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:49:58 AM »
Not a big fan of Fantasy Zone, well that’s because I only played it a few times on the SMS and that’s about it.

Alright I finally did it! Here's the video of my run if you guys want to see it. I did manage to get to 10k crystals too. I would recommend that you watch it in normal quality because when you change it to HQ, the frame rate seems to be off. It still doesn’t look that bad in NQ anyways.

Part1/4

Part2/4

Part3/4

Part4/4

jperryss

Re: Question about a run I’m doing. Video Posted!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »
Impressive. I don't think I'll ever finish this game on Super, let alone without hitting the shop.

oldskool

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 12:21:28 PM »
Nice job, I can beat this game, but not in super mode.  Congrats!!

override

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 02:08:16 PM »
I’m trying to beat it without using the shop, on Super mode. The boss rush mode has been a great help for practicing against the bosses and I want to thank you guys for letting me know about it.

What is the boss rush mode?

jperryss

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »
What is the boss rush mode?

"Go to the configure screen, set up level=HARD, music=01 and sound=01, then press Select+I (you can return to level=NORMAL before exiting) - this will bypass the stage and go directly to each stage's boss."

Dark Fact

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:05:03 AM »
Congrats man! Great work! :clap:

Now I need practice. ](*,)

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!