Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TG-CD: Total capacitor replacement chart + useful info  (Read 5245 times)

Platinumfungi

Re: TG-CD: Total capacitor replacement chart + useful info
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 11:23:20 AM »
Just did a 10 second search and found him. He's "cheapnicecomputers" on eBay for anyone who's interested...

kid_rondeau

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 09:45:27 AM »
I have had great results and excellent communication from Chris at cheapnicecomputers. If you can transcend all the bull***t and drama and speculation about his methods and motives, you'll discover a fast, solid repair at a reasonable* price.

*for some, nothing more than like $20 shipped would be considered reasonable. These people will never be happy.

BlueBMW

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 10:46:49 AM »
I think the frustration with chris computers comes from the fact that he was on here and utilizing the information we all freely share but then when asked about his source of gears he would not say.  That's my rub with him.  Maybe he does great work, maybe im a commy, but Id rather work together and share repair ideas rather than keep an idea to myself for the sake of making a little bit of money.  That's my take on it.  Im sure chris is a great guy I just wish he'd share what he knows.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

esteban

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 11:19:23 AM »
I think the frustration with chris computers comes from the fact that he was on here and utilizing the information we all freely share but then when asked about his source of gears he would not say.  That's my rub with him.  Maybe he does great work, maybe im a commy, but Id rather work together and share repair ideas rather than keep an idea to myself for the sake of making a little bit of money.  That's my take on it.  Im sure chris is a great guy I just wish he'd share what he knows.

Exactly. Keeping silent on a potential source for parts, simply for selfish profit, is the surest way to poison the feeling of "community" and upset folks. Even if chris did NOT have a source for parts, he should be in an open, transparent dialogue with everyone here, since we (well, most of us) try to help each other. Otherwise, he comes across as an opportunist who exploits situations, which, ultimately, may or may not be true.

|    | 

Keith Courage

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 08:29:45 AM »
Hey guys, I just found this place http://www.pollin.de/shop/index.html with a much better price on the KSS-220A lens. I just ordered a couple and I'll let you know how they are when I get them. One drawback is I have to pay via COD since they won't take my banking info or a credit card.

kattare

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 10:30:26 AM »
Did they arrive?  Does it work?  ;-)
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

Keith Courage

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 07:04:03 AM »
I haven't heard anything from the company or received anything yet. Maybe they don't deliver to the US? At least they could have told me. I got a confirmation receipt and everything.

kattare

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »
That bites.  I was gettin my hopes up.  ;-)

Keith Courage

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
Okay guys, I have a weird question that I hope someone can help me with. I was doing some routine maintenance on my turbografx cd drive today. Just checking the lube in the gears, checking tape that holds ribbons etc... and I found a couple solder points on my motherboard that have holes in them. Looks like a capacitor should go there however the drive works just fine the way it is. According to your chart the motherboard is missing a 100uf 16V capacitor. I went ahead and soldered one in and I notice no difference at all in the way the drive runs. Just nice to know it is set up correctly now. Any idea why my drive worked fine without it? I circled the marks in red in the pic below where the cap was missing from.

I had bought this from someone locally about a year ago and have been using the drive with that capacitor missing this entire time. Makes me wish I had opened it up sooner.  

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:48:21 PM by Keith Courage »

kattare

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2011, 05:34:16 AM »
I'd guess it's a filter that isn't strictly necessary...

Charlie

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »
C300 is in parallel with C301.  They are the input voltage filter caps. 
The fact that you run well without that cap only means that the other caps on that same circuit have picked up the slack....but also that they are working harder, which means premature failure.  Of course, you know that the caps are prone to that anyway, so no news there.  Also, when you use the CD with the TG16 interface, the caps and power supply in the interface are helping to support proper operation.

Charlie

blueraven

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 09:14:38 PM »
Sticky Please. :D

Great Job RedGhost!
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Platinumfungi

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2011, 04:07:46 PM »
Sticky Please. :D

Great Job RedGhost!

Thanks! I've actually requested that this, and some other excellent topics that others have made, become sticky...but haven't gotten any response :( Maybe we just need to message directly ... RG goes to send Aaron a message  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:19:36 PM by Red Ghost »

Pcenginefx

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TG-CD: Total capacitor replacement chart + useful info
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2011, 07:27:50 PM »
Made sticky - thanks for the info RG!
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

meka

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TG-CD: Total capacitor replacement chart + useful info
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 08:26:44 AM »
I have a  PC Engine CD-ROM2, the problem I have with it that when I am in a game after about 5mins or so the sound cuts off completely and does not come back. I have tried orginal games and copies with the same result, would a total cap replacement solve this issue?