Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TG-CD: Total capacitor replacement chart + useful info  (Read 5247 times)

zborgerd

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TG-CD: Total capacitor replacement chart + useful info
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2013, 05:52:00 AM »
Believe it or not, my TG16 CD drive came stock with a KSS-220A.  I was completely expecting it to contain a 162A, since this seems to be the norm.  Has anyone else observed this?

Keith Courage

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2013, 04:54:20 PM »
Yes, a good deal of slightly newer drives have 220A in them. Unfortunately, for some reason I have encountered more bad 220A lenses over the years than older the style 162a lens.

zborgerd

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
Yes, a good deal of slightly newer drives have 220A in them. Unfortunately, for some reason I have encountered more bad 220A lenses over the years than older the style 162a lens.

I've got a few spare Discmans with lasers of both types, so hopefully that is at least some insurance for the future.  :D

My 220A-based drive was in beautiful shape when I opened it up.  A little bit of white grease and now it sounds / runs like new.

POPNDOUGH

Thanks for this Platinumfungi. It helped alot when I replaced the caps in my CD player, but now I think my CD Dock might need new caps as well.

Is there a guide that shows how to open up the CD Dock to even get to the PCBs?
It only has like 2 screws, then a bunch of weird fasteners that I'm not sure what to do with, and 2 tabs on the side of the CD mounting part that don't really want to let go. I'm afraid to force it because I don't want to break anything.

Anybody disassemble the CD Dock before?

Keith Courage

There are 3 4.5mm security screws you need to remove just under where the CD drive goes. Also, unscrew the two philips screws near by. All the front screws can be left alone under where the TG16 itself sits. After removing the screws simply pry slightly on the two tabs you mentioned to release the base.

mario_pic

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2015, 06:10:02 PM »
wondering if any one has a kss-220a assembly im looking for all of if i got a bad laser and a droped spindle motor  looking to replace both and use the newer style spindle motor cd clamp  vs the old magnetic one

thesteve

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2015, 08:04:32 PM »
you should be able to find the KSS-225A which also works

thx1138

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2015, 05:26:04 PM »
I've been in the slow but steady process of compiling repair/useful information for our poor friend the TG-CD for awhile now. If you have anything you want to add just let me know  :D

Here's a chart of all the capacitors in the Turbo Grafx CD Player. I'm in the process of making one for the Docking Station pcbs as well.

Here are some tidbits:

Most common problems:

- CD-Rom gears become damaged. May be missing teeth or jammed. (Replacement gears must be substituted)

- CD-Rom grease dries up. (Regrease with white lithium grease)

- Laser wears out. (Adjust, or a replacement laser is required)

- 2 ribbon cables are in backwards. The CD-Rom will not function properly if they are backwards. (Make sure they're inserted properly)

- The switch that checks if the disc tray is open is stuck or damaged. (Inspect, clean, ...not sure about a replacement. I guess you could permanently make the switch think it's "always closed")

- The laser "limit switch" metal contacts need to be cleaned. (Read more about this issue here: https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5063.0

- The safety "Lock" switches on the TG docking station are not in the correct position. (Make sure both switches are in the "Lock" position when trying to play or the system will not turn on)

- Dead power supply. (Find replacement)

- Loose AV ports. Have to wiggle the cable around to get it to work. (Open system and resolder all related joints)

- The ground wire that attaches the top and bottom halves of the CD Player isn't securely connected.

Basic parts information:

Laser Lens:
The stock laser is a "KSS-162A".
A replacement that will work but needs some alteration is a "KSS-220A". I believe this is the proper one here at Electronix for $24.30 (plus shipping) -
http://www.electronix.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?ELECTRONIX_CATALOG_SESSID=434d9ec5c200e3cfafe87c5dfd25ee43&keywords=KSS-220A&x=0&y=0

Nat started a thread about other electronics that can be used as a donor for the laser. Check out the thread here: https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5027.0

For a quick recap, the following products have been identified as suitable donors:

Sony Discman D-4
Sony Discman D-12
Sony Discman D-34

Power Supply:
TG CD (in docking station) - 11VDC 1.53A center negative plug

TG CD (cd player only) - 10.5VDC 650mA (center negative plug I think...)

PCE CD (in docking station) - a suitable replacement is RADIO SHACK part # 273-1771 with Adaptaplug Q
PCE CD (cd player only) - 10.5VDC 650mA (center negative plug I guess...)

Capacitor Information:
I figured I'd start adding this information as well since I've heard mention of caps being a possible suspect (and since it's caps on both the Duo and Express that so frequently cause problems)

In the TGCD CD Player - there are are around 30 electrolytic caps.
In the TGCD Docking Station - there are around 44 electrolytic caps.

I might eventually get around to making a chart for these...but it will be awhile if I do.

CD Player Lid Components:
I've found that on some systems the components in the player's lid that hold a disc in the system can get smashed or damaged, and thus not able to close properly. Here are all the parts:

That's what we've got so far!

RG

Just wanting to check this for the CD-rom2 as well, the Japaneses version ?

BlueBMW

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2015, 04:52:13 AM »
Only difference I know of is that the Japanese unit doesn't have a ground wire to the bottom shell piece
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

wilykat

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
Only difference I know of is that the Japanese unit doesn't have a ground wire to the bottom shell piece

Also Japanese version doesn't come in black :p

Keith Courage

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2017, 10:29:32 PM »