Author Topic: New RPG in the works  (Read 676 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
New RPG in the works
« on: July 06, 2009, 02:32:48 PM »
I have an RPG which I started on PC in C once.  I've had the story/script/towns/all of that detailed out for years.  The PC project fell thru because it was boring for Windows. It really was.

With Insanity coming to a close very soon, I am milling around some ideas for doing this story on the PCE instead.

I cant decide what style to do it in.

Originally I planned it to be Ys style, but figured if I do traditional style (Something that is similar to Mystic Quest (tile based. 2 characters in the party. some puzzles in the dungeons)) (or something like Lufia/Final Fantasy/Etc.), I could of course have more characters and take a bit more liberties.

What would everyone else prefer most, and why?

as it stands I am thinking turn based with a very Lufia 1/Mystic Quest battle setup (normal sized sprites on the bottom next to their own stats, with HUGE monsters!)

and then tile based movement, and a menu system similar to Cosmic Fantasy.  so more or less, a traditional style RPG with a few ideas for how to display everything.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

hcf

Re: New RPG in the works
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 07:27:14 PM »
Wow, nice news! Being a fan of Tactical games, I prefer the turn-based system with huge monsters. In fact, it is a kind of game that I would love to program in the future, when my programming skills were good enough  :D

Also, we wait for the release of Insanity and the sound library!  :)

termis

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 12:14:08 AM »
Turn-based.  Can't give a particularly compelling reason for it, but for me, turn-based is where it's at when it comes to the most memorable RPGs.  For simplicity sake, I'll even take a single member, turn based RPG (ala Dragon Warrior 1).

touko

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 12:21:58 AM »
Yeah this is great, but that amount of work that represent a RPG !!!  :-&  ..

Goog luck for white nights   #-o
We want a demo version of insanity,this is possible ??  :-"

Sinistron

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 02:37:11 AM »
I vote slashy- with ramming second and turn based last.  I despise turn based rpgs and there's already waaay too many for PCE.  They bore the piss out of me.  CF2 was really good and Lady Sword I found to be excellent but I stopped liking them when I started falling asleep while playing Dragon Slayer- I found that game to be so ludicrously repetitive that I could go the rest of my life without playing a single turn based rpg and I'd die a happy man.

Besides- the looong awaited 99% completed homebrew from Rover and Co. (Mysterious Song)  is turn based- you'd be better off trying something different.

Also- let me know if you're taking music submissions  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 02:47:15 AM by Sinistron »

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

esteban

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 04:56:26 AM »
I vote slashy- with ramming second and turn based last.  I despise turn based rpgs and there's already waaay too many for PCE.  They bore the piss out of me.  CF2 was really good and Lady Sword I found to be excellent but I stopped liking them when I started falling asleep while playing Dragon Slayer- I found that game to be so ludicrously repetitive that I could go the rest of my life without playing a single turn based rpg and I'd die a happy man.

Besides- the looong awaited 99% completed homebrew from Rover and Co. (Mysterious Song)  is turn based- you'd be better off trying something different.

Also- let me know if you're taking music submissions  :wink:

I am wholeheartedly in agreement with Sinistron on this one.

Personally, I want a homebrew ACTION RPG, not an RPG.

I think that you automatically broaden the audience for your game as well, since most folks are willing to play ACTION RPG's (they appeal to everyone, in my experience), while only a sub-section of those folks will get excited about a turn-based RPG.

While I would love you to employ Ys-inspired RAMMING combat in your game (I think it is fun), again, most folks would feel more comfortable with a SLASH.

So, reluctantly, I vote SLASH.

Also, please fulfill one of my life-long dreams and include scantily-clad men in the game. Scantily-clad women are to be found everywhere in RPG's, but you rarely see a dude (let alone a hero) in short-shorts.

Finally, I'd be more than happy to contribute music submissions as well (I specialize in a cappella, and yes, I will use source material from your game as inspiration).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 05:06:32 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 05:01:50 AM »

That's what I was thinking.  Their Neutopia 3 is presumably slashy (could it be anything else?), so that leaves Ys style bump 'n' run.

In all honesty, I don't really care what style it is.  All three styles can be good fun when handled correctly, as the type of battle system is far less important than the artwork, tunes, weapons/items, story line, or character development.  As long as the battle system isn't broken and unfair, I'm a happy camper.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 05:09:08 AM »
In all honesty, I don't really care what style it is.  All three styles can be good fun when handled correctly, as the type of battle system is far less important than the artwork, tunes, weapons/items, story line, or character development.  As long as the battle system isn't broken and unfair, I'm a happy camper.

True, it is better to have a well-implemented turn-based game than a mediocre slasher...however, Sinistron and I will use our powers of persuasion to get an action-RPG, since they are wayyyyy more fun for us :)
  |    | 

rag-time4

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »

True, it is better to have a well-implemented turn-based game than a mediocre slasher...however, Sinistron and I will use our powers of persuasion to get an action-RPG, since they are wayyyyy more fun for us :)
I'm gonna hop on the action-RPG bandwagon, but I'll add that I would love to see an action-RPG in a 'Wild West' environment. I'm all for RPG's with wizards and trolls and things, but the PCE is short on Westerns.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
well the way I originally did the story it centers around 1 character that you play, with a good amount of storyline characters.  More or less in the style of Ys...

That being said, it is the reason why a Ys style game was the original plan.

Everyone brought up a good point that the turn based RPG genre has been overdone to death on the PCE.  There are a TON. The most on ANY system I can think of...  I guess doing another one with just 2 characters controlled at a time, and a simple combat setup would be pretty putzy since there are better comparable games by professional companies.... my game would just be a goofy mess when compared... :(

And if Mysterious Song and Neutopia 3 will be filling in the turn based and slashy homebrew niches, well then damn!  the Ys homebrew gap needs to be filled!   

as for music, I had planned to do alot of it myself with guitar music: Some nylon string songs and some electric ones (like battle music).  Ill see how it turns out.

In terms of the game itself if left Ys style:

Story: 100%
Gameplay mechanics: 95% (Just need the formulas for damage when ramming)
Graphics: 75% (Would need 1 more dungeon tileset, monster sprites, and some more NPC sprites)
Music: 45% (There are song ideas, that would just need fleshed out more)
Coding: 50%

50% you say?!   Well....

Insanity uses collision routines similar to Ys... only instead of fighting a monster, ... you die upon colliding. The tile/sprite colliding is all the damn same! Recycleable! So much of it!

and, Insanity could have large scrolling maps (like towns and dungeons) if it didnt remove from the spirit of Berzerk. 

Hmmm. 

as for a demo of insanity.  I think ill release a basic demo sometime in the next week or two after some stuff gets straightened out.  We did some overhauling on it and are working on it being a more tightly coded, and efficient game that can be reused... for the RPG apparently :)

whats everyone think!?

PS: This week or next as long as there are no speedbumps, the music player for MML stuff should be better to use in a game, and I can release it to anyone that wants it (For galaxian!)

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 05:29:54 PM »
I voted Neutopia style(even though we have N3 in the works, but on hiatus), but, now, go ahead an Ys it!  I'd help you with music, but, I have enough on my plate, & zero time to do it :P

blueraven

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »
Y's style because I'm playing through Legend of Xanadu pt 1 right now, and just finished Y's Book 1&2.

I'm suffering from total Square-Enix burnout.   
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

touko

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 10:29:58 PM »
as for a demo of insanity.  I think ill release a basic demo sometime in the next week or two after some stuff gets straightened out.  We did some overhauling on it and are working on it being a more tightly coded, and efficient game that can be reused... for the RPG apparently Smile

Greaaaaat, i'am awaiting that, thanks    :D

PS: This week or next as long as there are no speedbumps, the music player for MML stuff should be better to use in a game, and I can release it to anyone that wants it (For galaxian!)
Yes, I would be delighted to include your MMX player in galaxian  :wink:.

hcf

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 11:43:47 PM »
Wow, there are a lot of great ideas in this thread! A western game is a very good idea, rag-time4!

Maybe I can use that MMX player in Vampire Story Deluxe too?  :D   My original idea was using audio tracks for the music background, but each time the game has to read data from the CD, the music is stopped and this is terrible. One solution can be using MMX music!! The other option for me is to use the Arcade Card, and store AAAALL the data in the arcade card at the begining, so that I don't need to read from the CD anymore  :mrgreen:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 03:34:57 AM »
Y's style because I'm playing through Legend of Xanadu pt 1 right now, and just finished Y's Book 1&2.

I'm suffering from total Square-Enix burnout.  

Ys and apostrophes do not belong together.  :wink:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles