Author Topic: Arjak's First Impressions of Adventure Island: The Beginning  (Read 451 times)

Arjak

So I just bought this game after hearing mediocre reviews but loving the classic series. I was a little worried. Would it hold up? Would it be too modernized? I'd heard that the game was easy. But, being a big fan of the series, and liking what I had seen of it, I purchased it.

What was my reaction?

Something along the lines of: "This kicks ass!"

Adventure Island: The Beginning is everything I could think of wanting in game from this classic Hudson franchise.

First of all, I was impressed by the models of the characters, especially Master Higgins. He moves so fluidly and fast that the game's speed is definitely kicked up a notch. He had great animation. He controls very well and just like the classic games. He has a nice selection of weapons, and all the classic power-ups are present. Killing the coyote even gives you a Wiimote! The music is also top notch. The first area has a beautiful fast paced jungle sound to it that perfectly fit the series. Now, don't let anyone fool you, this game is HARD. I have yet to make it past 1-4, so this review is actually more of a "first impression." Luckily, it's not a "frustrating" hard, just a "you suck" hard. One nice thing is that the enemies only do damage, instead of killing you completely. Something I felt made the "Health" feel more like a "Timer" in the originals. If they didn't change this, I'd have no hope.

All in all, this game is an extra-solid addition to the series from what I can tell, should please many fans of the series, and besides the new graphics, it feels like no time has passed whatsoever since the last game came out.

Higgins has most definitely got his groove back.

I hope that this review has caused interest in this great game. It is definitely worth the 800 Wii Points.

Bye for now, and remember: Eggplant kills! :wink:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

nat

Re: Arjak's First Impressions of Adventure Island: The Beginning
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »
I was browsing the Store channel from my Wii the other day and saw this, not having heard anything about it until now. I may pick it up one of these days.

omotai

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
I own the actual HuCard of this, and it's definitely a great game (though I've only gotten as far as island 4). That being said, there are apparently some fairly major differences between the PC Engine one and the Virtual Console one (besides the Wiimote powerup instead of a Turbo Pad), because in my copy you definitely still get killed in one hit.

nat

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:54:42 PM »
Arjak is talking about the game titled "Adventure Island: The Beginning." The game you have for your Turbo is called "New Adventure Island." The former is a brand new Wii-specific game; supposedly an all-new adventure.

omotai

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:15:45 PM »
Oh. That makes much more sense!

I'm not terribly familiar with WiiWare, so I just assumed he was talking about a VC version of New Adventure Island.

esteban

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 03:55:48 PM »
So, Arjak, you're going to follow-up on your initial feelings, aren't you?

Curious to hear about the game...
  |    | 

Dark Fact

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 02:24:03 PM »
Just wondering, is this game a remake of the first NES Adventure Island game? I wasn't aware that they released this for Wiiware. :-s

Shows me for not paying attention to Wiiware releases. ](*,)

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

nat

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 03:03:38 PM »
No, it is not a remake. It's a prequel to the NES game, which is actually a port of Wonderboy.

Dark Fact

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 08:01:34 AM »
Ah, okay.  Thanks for the info. :) I'll be sure to check it out. :)

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!