Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TG16 CD/PCE CD laser swap guide (pictorial)  (Read 7030 times)

Duo_R

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TG16 CD/PCE CD laser swap guide (pictorial)
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 04:34:48 AM »
any ideas on putting in a new spindle for a Duo? I would love to have the "click in" spindle to hold the discs.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Charlie

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 10:53:40 AM »
Nice repair job, but a few notes:
1. The replacement laser you used If using a 162 replacement laser, note that it has a much shorter flex cable (on both sides).  It makes it very hard to re-connect into the PCB because you have much less room for your fingers.
2. The routing of the original flex wires includes glue in strategic locations.  This is needed to keep the flex cable from jamming as the head moves around.  When doing the laser swap, make note of where to glue -- and of course have some glue handy!
3. Most important -- the original laser required you to remove the clip holding the flex cable; this clip worked nicely because the original laser has the required hole in the middle of the flex cable, allowing the clip to do its job.  The replacement 162 laser does not have the hole, so you can't use the clip, so again the flex cable jams up.

I would give strong consideration to sticking with the original laser type 220(A).

Charlie
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:54:44 PM by Charlie »

BlackandBlue

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 11:29:38 AM »
Nice repair job, but a few notes:
1. The replacement laser you used has a much shorter flex cable (on both sides).  It makes it very hard to re-connect into the PCB because you have much less room for your fingers.
2. The routing of the original flex wires includes glue in strategic locations.  This is needed to keep the flex cable from jamming as the head moves around.  When doing the laser swap, make note of where to glue -- and of course have some glue handy!
3. Most important -- the original laser required you to remove the clip holding the flex cable; this clip worked nicely because the original laser has the required hole in the middle of the flex cable, allowing the clip to do its job.  The replacement laser does not have the hole, so you can't use the clip, so again the flex cable jams up.

I would give strong consideration to sticking with the original laser type 220(A).

Charlie

Are you referring to the KSS-162a?  I used the 220a in my swap and in the pictures and all the cables were the same length and had the hole.  I cannot speak for the 162a as I read it is compatible, but have not swapped one myself.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

Charlie

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
Yes, I was comparing the 220 vs the 162.  I have done the 162 and it has the short-commings I have mentioned.
Didn't want anyone to find this out after they spent the $$ on the 162.

My apologies, I realize the wording could be better.  Allow me to edit... (done)

Thanks

Charlie
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:56:24 PM by Charlie »

Charlie

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2011, 11:22:06 AM »
Seems to me we now need a "total capacitor replacement chart" for the CD ROM.  Probably a good idea to make it a new sticky, too.

(I could do it, but where do you get those really nice colored dots to stick on all the caps?)

Charlie

BlueBMW

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 11:48:29 AM »
Red Ghost did a TGCD cap chart a while ago... had to dig a bit to find it!

https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=7012.0

Also, I made a little mini guide on some of the ICs on the TGCD board, might not be too useful but... :D

https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8782.0
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Charlie

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »
AHA!  I was somewhat sure that I had seen the cap list before, but I couldn't find it.  However, definitely did NOT know of the IC stuff -------I am still not straight on "CD ROM" vs "CD ROM2" (or, in fact, most of the TG line's matrix of names has me confused ------you don't know how long it took me to relate "DUO" with "PC"!!)

Hmmm, any other info needed there?

Thanks.

Charlie
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:08:36 PM by Charlie »

Charlie

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
As an FYI, I've been looking into the IC's recently, and I've found a minor correction or two.

Under the "Turbo Grafx CDROM IC Identification Guide" section, at the top:
1. the 'D9309 is listed as unknown -- it's the SCSI interface IC
2. the CDX1135 is listed as possibly a DAC -- it's the DSP IC

Just thought you'd like to know...

Charlie

BlueBMW

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »
Awesome charlie!  Thanks!  I'll update the image soon :P  Have you heard of some of the new turbo duo sound fixes we've discovered lately?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Charlie

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 12:30:47 AM »
>> Have you heard of ...<<
I don't think so, but I don't know what specific fix you mean. 

There is a lot of DUO audio repair info here, particularly the block diagrams (= abbreviated schematics), that should allow anyone with reasonable soldering ability to fix DUO's.  Is there something new?

Charlie

BlueBMW

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »
We've had a few units which even after full cap replacements still have no sound.  We tracked it down to a single transistor not supplying voltage to all the audio amps. Q304 to be exact.  It should be outputting ~8V on the emitter leg.  Other units the connection from E of Q304 is degraded on the connection through the board also causing low voltage to the audio amps.

Maybe you already knew this stuff but it was a recent discovery for some of us! :P

Charlie

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 03:49:25 AM »
Ok, let me check my notes.  Based on what you say, Q304 may be in the power supply.  I'll dig into my data and post some info.

Charlie

Charlie

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2011, 08:28:13 AM »
FYI:
1. Got TWO CD Rom's repaired, with parts on order for the second two.  Yay.  EBay here I come!
2. Haven't forgotten the Q304 thingy, just been sick recently.  Data coming soon.

Thanks
Charlie

Charlie

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »
I put the Q304 stuff in the "REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo: Sound Fix" thread..it's more appropriate there.

Charlie

Charlie

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »
Update note:
The UPD9309, which I mentioned is the SCSI Interface IC, is officially described as a "CD ROM drive controller"; the description says nothing about its interface capabilities.  (I missed that extra line of text in my notes).  However, it's probably ok to call it "CD ROM drive controller with SCSI interface", even that's not officially correct.  Or maybe just make a reference to the SCSI port in a comment.

Charlie
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:34:08 PM by Charlie »