Author Topic: Another Retr0Bright Success Story (PCE no longer yellow)  (Read 1399 times)

SignOfZeta

Another Retr0Bright Success Story (PCE no longer yellow)
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:08:54 PM »
I know that there was already a thread for this, but it was in Console Chat, and it hasn't been posted to in months. I'm starting a new PCE specific one because the forum itself actually suggested I did.

So anyway, Retr0Bright. THIS STUFF HERE. It works pretty damned well.

Before:

After:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Another Retr0Bright Success Story (PCE no longer yellow)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 02:46:03 AM »
Lookin' good and pearly white.  8)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Turbo D

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 03:10:27 AM »
very nice Zeta! I have been waiting for someone to show their results. :) I'm planning on doing this on a few of my consoles for sure.

jboypacman

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 06:27:27 AM »
Zeta are you going to treat my PC Engine with the Retr0Bright next time you are in town? The results look fantastic! :D

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 08:41:42 AM »
Zeta are you going to treat my PC Engine with the Retr0Bright next time you are in town? The results look fantastic! :D

I'll pick it up next time I see you, probably next weekend, and do the cleaning at home. Its too much of a pain to do in a hurry.

jboypacman

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:54:15 AM »
Sounds good sir i will see you then. :D

esteban

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 05:25:02 PM »
Damn, that does look a lot better.

Damn.
  |    | 

Game-Tech.US

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 04:40:15 AM »

So anyway, Retr0Bright. THIS STUFF HERE. It works pretty damned well.

Zeta, can you give us a rundown of how YOU did it? What products did you use, what uv light etc, and how long etc.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 08:27:15 AM »
I wrote more about it here: http://www.thewhiteline.org in the "TWL Diary" section.

I used the "original" recipe, as it is referred to on the Retr0Bright wiki. There are four ingredients:

The hydrogen peroxide: I used Claroxide, 40vol., one 16oz bottle. The stuff at the grocery store used for topical antiseptic is useless. Way too thin. I got this from Sally Beauty Supply, which is close to my house. Don't make any "bomb" jokes when you are buying this, and if you aren't caucasian send a friend to pick it up, or homeland security might lock you up and throw away the key. This shit is a borderline controlled substance now. Also, this is the main ingredient of the mixture, and will mess your hands/eyes up good, so use rubber gloves and safety glasses when handling it.

The Oxy stuff: I used Clorox Oxy Magic: This can be found anywhere that sells laundry stuff. You need a really small amount of this stuff so just try to buy the smallest container you can get in powdered form. It won't break down very well in room temperature Retr0Bright gel, so I mixed it in with a very small amount of very hot water before adding it to the mixture This is done last, btw, and begins a reaction, so only add it to the gel you will currently be using. Unused gel (minus the Oxy) can be kept in a light-proof jar until needed.

Glycerin: I found the best way to buy this was, humorously, in the form of liquid suppositories. A company called Fleet makes four packs with 7.5ml each, which is more or less the perfect amount. Purchased from a CVS pharmacy.

Xanthan Gum: This will be the hard one for most people. Since I live in Ann Arbor, which is crawling in university labs, hospitals, health food stores, and pharmacies, I had no trouble, but if you live in South Dakota or something you might have to mail order it from someplace. When I called Whole Foods (we have two of them in town, huge ones) they were out of stock so I called a private shop run by a really skinny version of Chong and got a 2oz bag of Xanthan gum from him for $4. I used nowhere near that much of it, btw.

This makes a HUGE batch of Retr0Bright. I saved half of it in a jar (minus the Oxy) and still had a lot left over after doing an entire PCE/CDROM2 combo including the controller. I used a regular 3/4" paintbrush to apply it.

I used sunlight for the UV in the daytime, and a fluorescent UV light from Lowe's at night. At this point in the year I would have to use the UV light 24 hours now since even in the daytime the sun is pretty weak now, and will be until March.

The rest is pretty straightforward. Disassembling one of these set-ups is pretty complicated. If you are doing just a PCE, that's no problem. The CDROM2 and IFU on the other hand are a bit more complicated.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 08:34:48 AM by SignOfZeta »

Game-Tech.US

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 04:01:59 AM »
I am in the middle of doing this for some of my consoles etc. I have an NES top loader in bad shape, a pce and pce cd-rom in, and an NES max controller in the middle of the process.
Before I get into the details i'll comment on ingredient and parts retrieval.

I used the "original" recipe, as it is referred to on the Retr0Bright wiki. There are four ingredients:

I used the gel recipe, I think the "original" recipe is the liquid one with no xanthan or glycerin.
The hydrogen peroxide: I used Claroxide, 40vol., one 16oz bottle.

My woman friend had some left over 30vol that was several years old and so far its working, but I never did get the gel to foam up as seen in M3rl1n's gallery pic, age of the peroxide is my only possible reason. So I went to a beauty store and bought some new 40vol for $5. Funny story, the hottie asked me if I was dying skulls! Maybe because its halloween time or whatever, but some guy was in earlier for the same stuff for that reason! But no hassle to get a hold of really.
this is the main ingredient of the mixture, and will mess your hands/eyes up good, so use rubber gloves and safety glasses when handling it.

No kidding! I failed to pick up and gloves and the gel in ready form found its way onto my finger tips and it stung and bleached the skin!
The Oxy stuff: I used Clorox Oxy Magic: This can be found anywhere that sells laundry stuff. You need a really small amount of this stuff so just try to buy the smallest container you can get in powdered form. It won't break down very well in room temperature Retr0Bright gel, so I mixed it in with a very small amount of very hot water before adding it to the mixture This is done last, btw, and begins a reaction, so only add it to the gel you will currently be using. Unused gel (minus the Oxy) can be kept in a light-proof jar until needed.

I used the same stuff and did the exact same thing with the left over of the batch and the hot water trick.
Glycerin: I found the best way to buy this was, humorously, in the form of liquid suppositories. A company called Fleet makes four packs with 7.5ml each, which is more or less the perfect amount. Purchased from a CVS pharmacy.

I found a 4oz 118ml bottle of liquid glycerin at Fred Meyer for cheap. Used 2.5ml or 1/2 tsp for half batch making so bottle of liquid was easy to measure out and I wasn't buying suppositories.
Xanthan Gum: This will be the hard one for most people.

I called around Spokane, wa and found that Huckleberries food store had it and so did Mothers Cuppboard, got a 8oz jar for $6 at Mothers. GNC was a no go.
I used sunlight for the UV in the daytime, and a fluorescent UV light from Lowe's at night.

I found what I thought was the perfect bulb at Petco, it has its peak wavelength in the 300-350nm area, but was $40!!

The rest is pretty straightforward. Disassembling one of these set-ups is pretty complicated. If you are doing just a PCE, that's no problem. The CDROM2 and IFU on the other hand are a bit more complicated.

The only thing I read about on the wiki for concern here is that it will attack metal parts so I disassembled till it was only plastic left. If the metal is no where near a yellowed area dont worry about it and just apply the gel so its not on the metal I guess.

BTW I also had to buy a set of measuring spoons as I didn't have anything and I got a thrift store blender for $2 just for this stuff, so i'll never have to use it for food.
I'm not real satisfied with the blender action as the mix gets real thick and a ball of it just kinda bounces around on top of the blender blades after just a couple seconds, plus its hard to get it all out, but it still came out ok in the end.

I'd like to have two or more UVB bulbs and a rotating base to cover all the shaded areas, but I just kept moving stuff around all day instead. I'd also like to use mirrors, but ended up just covering the inside of a box with aluminum foil and laying the light over top of it all. Would also be nice to have a big glass tray to put it all in so the gel doesn't leak out onto counters etc.

Like I said earlier I didn't see the stuff foam up after applying, I thought maybe the bulb wasn't strong enough but wasn't ready to blame it completely yet, thats when I went for the 40vol, but I haven't used that batch yet and I am seeing results anyway. So keep in mind you have to be patient.

Also get prepared before you start mixing stuff up. Have a mixing bowl and paint brush ready, clear out a large area to work in, try to find a well vented area as it does smell a bit. It will also expand on its own out of the mixing bowl.

Pics before process, I took the pics on my toilet because the light in there is better and reproduce-able.

I will post pics of finished pieces in a couple days.

esteban

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 04:17:34 AM »
aka violence, I take it that you already used retrobrite on the commode? It's a refreshing, pearly white!

|    | 

Game-Tech.US

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 05:26:21 AM »
Ha Ha, very funny!

Anyone think we should get a sticky for this, I consider it repair work...

Game-Tech.US

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 04:14:46 PM »
Ok, heres pics of completed stuff. The top loader was so bad it will need more treatment, but the Max and PC Engine and PCE cd-rom came out great in about 8 hours under the light.
I turned the flash on for this pic which made the buttons more visible, they were not treated and are still yellow, so are the grey buttons. I just didn't notice them when I took it apart.

PCE items, came out great, but theres a couple lines at the seams I want to maybe go back and hit again. Still look WAY better than before. I used up the whole first batch of retr0bright.

Same items but with the flash on.

Heres what the top loader looks like so far, it had more time too, like 15 hours, but I think the retr0 batch lost potency after sitting around unused all day and night and next morning till gone. So next time I will just sprinkle oxy detergent into smaller batches of retr0bright. If you look close you can see the original color where the power/reset buttons sit. The reset button was done, the power button was not yellowed to begin with, nor was the throat cover if you look at the first post pic.

esteban

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »
PCE and CD-ROM look minty fresh!

But, I have to ask: was it really worth cleaning the NES MAX pads? Don't get me wrong, they look really nice now, but it just seems like a waste of time, effort and retrobrite. :)

RANDOM THOUGHT: I have an old clock radio that needs the retrobrite treatment.

|    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 06:55:58 PM »
Damn, that NES is super yellow!

By "original" I mean the one they describe as "original" on the Wiki. Its the first gel solution, not the prototype, all-liquid version.

Regarding potency: Even without the Oxy hydrogen peroxide looses its potency when exposed to light. Light begins a reaction that will eventually end. This is why it comes in a brown bottle, and why its legal to poor it down the sink. I put half my batch in a light-proof jar with no Oxy in it and will use it the next time I do some stuff.

Your results are very good!