Author Topic: Might be interested in buying a PCE CD soon.  (Read 740 times)

Keranu

Might be interested in buying a PCE CD soon.
« on: June 30, 2005, 01:20:57 PM »
I am thinking about buying a PCE system off of Japan Game Stock but I seem to be having a hard time finding a PCE CD attachment. I requested that Japan Game Stock to sell PCE CD systems in their request form and they emailed me back saying they have them in stock but don't sell because they can easily break when shipping over seas. I am just wondering if this is true and if anyone knows where I can buy a PCE CD attachment complete? Thanks.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

rolins

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 04:35:06 PM »
Japangamestock.com is a good place for discounted japanese games. But dont buy their PC-Engine Duo. I once ordered a Duo from them couple months ago.  When it arrive the system was in cosmetically bad shape,  and the cd player had an audio problem. They were kind enough to send me another one free of charge though. The second one they sent me work fine, but still in ugly shape. White scuff marks and deep scratches all over the console.

Even some of their games I order were not mint condition as they said. I ordered Gunhed from them and it said mint condition. When it arrived it the manual was bent and the hucard had scratches on the back.

The service is good and responsive to emails. But I would think twice if you want to buy games or consoles that are in mint condition.

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 08:23:37 PM »
Thanks for telling me this, I might have to purchase a PCE elsewhere. Does anyone know any good sites to purchase a PCE+CD complete?
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

lord_cack

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 09:43:46 PM »
Quote from: "rolins"
Japangamestock.com is a good place for discounted japanese games. But dont buy their PC-Engine Duo. I once ordered a Duo from them couple months ago.  When it arrive the system was in cosmetically bad shape,  and the cd player had an audio problem. They were kind enough to send me another one free of charge though. The second one they sent me work fine, but still in ugly shape. White scuff marks and deep scratches all over the console.

Even some of their games I order were not mint condition as they said. I ordered Gunhed from them and it said mint condition. When it arrived it the manual was bent and the hucard had scratches on the back.

The service is good and responsive to emails. But I would think twice if you want to buy games or consoles that are in mint condition.

I may aswell be looking into getting a new Duo, I understand the comments about the quality of the items...but with the exception of the first system you ordered did everything work properly.....Thats all I am really concerned about and Japangamestock.com has a nice selection of what I am looking for...
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

rolins

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 06:10:56 AM »
The first Duo they sent me didn't wont properly. It had the audio problem that plague all Turbo Duo and PC-Engine Duo. Whenever I put a CD, SCD, or a plain music cd I would get no audio. Or if im playing a game I only hear sound effects.

The second console they sent me worked perfectly, but the console was an eyesore. It was hard to look at. The console was conpletely scratched and had scuff marks that cant be remove with windex.

In the end, I still came out ahead because I sold both consoles on ebay and used the money to buy a Duo-R.

Japangamestock.com has great service. I been using them for 2 years now and the only complaint is they dont tell you the condition of their merchandise even though on their website it said "mint/good condition."

If you plan on getting a Duo try and get the "box" version and not the "loose" one. Also, ask them to test the system for audio problems and it's condition.

Also, if your considering to buy the Twin Famicom (it's like $130-150). You should defintely ask them to test the system, especially the disk drive.  The disk drive of the Twin Famicom has shoddy belts and are prone to break down.

I hope that helps.

lord_cack

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 09:32:38 AM »
Quote from: "rolins"

I hope that helps.

It does indeed, thanks alot  :D
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

AlexKidd

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 05:49:28 PM »
While we're on the subject of JapanGameStock, could someone tell me if they accept any forms of payment other than paypal?

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 07:57:49 PM »
Not sure, haven't looked into that.

Anyways... I JUST WON A PCE+CD OFF EBAY! CHECK IT OUT!

I used my brother's PayPal account, so hopefully it should be coming soon! I was sure to tell the seller to make sure the system worked and to be EXTRA careful packaging the system and using as much insulation as possible, since he is shipping all the way from England and all (possibly Japan).

Here is the picture on the auction, but mine may look different than this since he has another of the same auction up for grabs using the same picture:

The CDROM2 unit in that picture seems to be quite yellow, but no quite butter popcorn yellow. If that is the exact PCE system I am getting, I will consider doing the bleaching method to whiten it or if I get another PCE system that is yellowed like that.

The seller still hasn't told me what games are included, so I don't know if the games in the pic are the games I am winning, but I do indeed get some games. I'm so excited to even find out.

zborgerd

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 07:15:59 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Not sure, haven't looked into that.

Anyways... I JUST WON A PCE+CD OFF EBAY! CHECK IT OUT!

I used my brother's PayPal account, so hopefully it should be coming soon! I was sure to tell the seller to make sure the system worked and to be EXTRA careful packaging the system and using as much insulation as possible, since he is shipping all the way from England and all (possibly Japan).

Here is the picture on the auction, but mine may look different than this since he has another of the same auction up for grabs using the same picture:

The CDROM2 unit in that picture seems to be quite yellow, but no quite butter popcorn yellow. If that is the exact PCE system I am getting, I will consider doing the bleaching method to whiten it or if I get another PCE system that is yellowed like that.

The seller still hasn't told me what games are included, so I don't know if the games in the pic are the games I am winning, but I do indeed get some games. I'm so excited to even find out.

That's a really exceptional price.  If only the shipping weren't so expensive.  I suppose that kinda balances out the great price though.  :)

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 09:06:34 AM »
Yeah the shipping was a killer. The shipping costs more than the actual item for most of the bids. Overall, I'd say I saved about 30 bucks or so for a deal like this one, although it sort of depends on which games I am getting out of it.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 08:35:11 PM »
Its really yellow though.Yuk.You coould have gotten the system I put up for sale and got one with s-video out and a better cd drive.I hope that thing works for you when it arrives

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 02:11:19 AM »
That might not be the exact system I am getting. If it is, I plan on bleaching it :D .

NeoFreak

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 02:46:26 AM »
wow that plastic cover that comes with the interface unit is sick.

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 04:01:46 AM »
It would be very hard to get the cd drive apart to get the shell off to bleach the discman drive and get it all back together again perfectly.The ribbon cable is very thin and can tear,and if it happens can not be repaired.Also about everything else is soldered down,screwed down,and taped down.its a messy job to do it.I wouldnt bother if I was you.If it plays fine,leave it at that and be happy.You risk killing it otherwise.

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 05:12:39 AM »
I am glad you posted this because I have no idea what the inside of a PCE CDROM2 is quite like. Maybe I can find some kind of alternate way of cleaning it, but hopefully the one I get won't be butter popcorn flavored.