Author Topic: What TG16 Collectors Need Only Magical Chase?  (Read 1776 times)

BlueBMW

Re: What TG16 Collectors Need Only Magical Chase?
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2010, 12:55:17 PM »
I picked up a MUCH cheaper PCE copy of it so I'd never have to worry about tracking down a US copy.  Yeah I know my level 1 background isn't as purty but oh well.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

SignOfZeta

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2010, 02:29:46 PM »
Quote from: Tatsujin
As for me, I'm loving to take a nice case with nice artworks shown in its purest origin of its creation out of the shelf, taking the cart/card/cd out of it, put the game into the console and play it. For me, the packaging and everything around the game is part of the gaming as well. You "play" with your eyes first!

You said it much better than I ever could.

TheClash603

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2010, 03:22:42 PM »
Isn't there some charm to the "bad" (subjective) covers?  That Guardian Heroes cover is really funny to me, I wouldn't want it any other way.

blueraven

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2010, 03:57:41 PM »
I "Need" A JP copy of MC like I need a barrel of buckshot in my right ass cheek.

Gunhed/Blazing Lazers is 10 times the shooter of that pile of "hip-hop hooray super hype"

The game is worth $40 either side. If you want, buy the hype. Don't buy the game.

Chase The Chuckwagon for the 2600 would be a better investment for your kids college fund.

[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Tatsujin

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2010, 04:20:46 PM »
Isn't there some charm to the "bad" (subjective) covers?  That Guardian Heroes cover is really funny to me, I wouldn't want it any other way.

This leads to the good old statement of "to each his own". I'm a collector from deep heart, I like to have everything as it was meant in the first place. No disimproved ugly shit from an untalented pseudo-artist, who didn't made his homework correctly back in playschool.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SignOfZeta

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2010, 04:27:57 PM »

I totally see where you are coming from, but I guess I lack a sense of humor regarding games from this period. :) I think Guardian Heroes is completely awesome (the software) so I don't want a funny/bad cover.

This cracks me up however.

Gunbird (JP Saturn cover, couldn't find PS version)

Gunbird (US Playstation)

The US version also has the art gallery removed, as well as all the endings (saves money on translation).

This is truly boggling to me because this game was published at the absolute peak of the anime/manga boom in the US. The ota-riffic original cover would have moved more units, I'm pretty sure.

exile

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
Yeh I'm still in the market for magical chase, but sadly I doubt I'll ever own an original as the price has risen to ludicrous levels. If I ever get one it'll be by trading tons of items I already own

termis

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »
Just like the folks who make a big deal out of collecting US-only titles, I find those who make a giant deal out of cover art even more strange.  I mean, when you're playing the game, how does the cover art make any f*cking difference whatsoever?

With that attitude you can also play MAME and other emulators all day long, or go with that new non-physical media trend. I mean, when you're playing the game, how does anything beside the game make any f*cking difference whatsoever?

I don't disagree with the MAME statement, but owning English versions not only mean you get 100% of what's going on in game, but as you stated, whatever that came with the product -- manual, box, etc. etc.  I simply choose functionality (understanding everything, even the little things) over superficial eye candy (cover art).  And again, don't get me wrong, I'm by no means the "buy 100% US type" - I mix-and-match as I see fit, but I'll gladly default to US versions if (1) it's available, (2) it's not censored, (3) and price of it isn't exorbitant compared to the JP version.  The cover art has exactly 0% influence on my purchasing decision.  In fact, Guardian Heroes is a good example -- I don't know the value of the game these days, but by quickly browsing ebay, I'd gladly pay the $10 premium to be able to fluently read all the dialogs that goes on in the game, despite the shittier cover art.

As for me, I'm loving to take a nice case with nice artworks shown in its purest origin of its creation out of the shelf, taking the cart/card/cd out of it, put the game into the console and play it. For me, the packaging and everything around the game is part of the gaming as well. You "play" with your eyes first!

Trust me, I DO get the whole "purest origin" thing.  I choose to buy Korean-released blu-rays of Korean movies -- because it's the original release, has all the "original" stuff (things such as Directors/actor's commentary in Korean) and all that, but hey, I speak Korean.  I wouldn't do the same for say, a Russian film where I wouldn't understand what the hell's going on, even if it had much prettier cover art, even if the movie was super-simple enough to understand without subtitles -- there's no denying that you just wouldn't get everything without speaking Russian or without English subs.

You "play" with your eyes first!

I definitely disagree with this statement -- to turn it around, it seems some folks here would not only default to a JP version, but would even pay a premium for superficial eye candy even at the cost of functionality, like being able to fully understand what's being said in the game.  I personally think that's retarded, but we can all agree on one thing -- "to each his own".

SignOfZeta

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2010, 06:55:58 PM »
The "superficial eye candy" is a slippery slope of an argument. If visuals didn't matter we'd still be playing NES games. All of us care, to some extent, about "eye candy".

Regardless, I consider the art related to the game to be part of the game.

shubibiman

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »

This isn't true, the PSx brought arcade into the own four walls first and much better.

Good point here but as I personnaly prefer 2D games, I'm much more fond of the Sega Saturn.

Gunbird (US Playstation)

The US version also has the art gallery removed, as well as all the endings (saves money on translation).

What?!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 07:47:42 PM by shubibiman »
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Tatsujin

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2010, 08:49:33 PM »

This isn't true, the PSx brought arcade into the own four walls first and much better.

Good point here but as I personnaly prefer 2D games, I'm much more fond of the Sega Saturn.

Yeah but as I have also stated, the PSx got plenty of 2D releases, and they are in circa equal to the one of the saturn.

Both have their absolute indispensable exclusive titles and as for the games which got released on both systems its a toss-up on which they're looking better. Sometimes SS wins, sometimes PSx.

As of one of my most important reason to own a PSx is Akumajo Dracula X - gekka no yasou kyoku, which is miles better on the PSx. The saturn got some few neat extras but which never making it up to equalize the general quality of the PSx release.

Also there are plenty great exclusives on the PSx like Gradius Gaiden, Harmfull Park, R-Types etc.

As for BeU the Saturn is truly and undeniable king of these two systems, but as for shoot'em ups I would strongly recommend to get a PSx.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 08:51:16 PM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

shubibiman

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2010, 10:21:33 PM »
but as for shoot'em ups I would strongly recommend to get a PSx.

According to my shmupping tastes, the Sega Saturn is by far the one I need (and already own anyway), even though it doesn't have games such as R-Type Delta, Raiden or Gradius Gaiden. Anyway, I have a Playstation 2 so I can play those games so it's not a problem. Compared to those 3 PS1 exclusives, there are so many excellent shmups for the Saturn that were not released on the Sony console!
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

alexsduo

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2011, 10:50:14 PM »
Some of us do still play nes games :)

I would love to find a MC US or JP, buteven the Japanese ones are way over $100 on ebay, and the same people are "selling" them.  I don't understand why they keep listing and relisting them at 175, 199 and etc, but then I figure they must have paid like $10, and they figure some bozo in the US will pay the 175 and hence all the fees for relisting now make sense. 

As far as video game collectors go, I am not sure that the Turbo Grafx stuff will go back to normal ever.  The only thing I can think of that could lower the price is a Zombie (or otherwise) apocalypse where things of value are no longer valuable, and guns,food and shelter rule the day.. Or when these collectors die off, and their heirs sell their stuff at estate sales or whatever, and have no idea of the perceived value. 

I have been looking for MC for quite a few years, and I passed on a couple chances because I thought the prices were ludicrous.  Now, those deals seemed too good to be true.

What really gets me is a particular guy who sells on ebay... I asked him if he had MC, because of the items(s) he was selling, and he told me he had 6 or 8 copies.  And when I keep harassing him, presumably to sell me a copy, he told me he was holding on to them for investment purposes. 

I guess it brings a tear to my eyes, when I think of those magical chases  sitting in some guys house, not being played, or coveted, but just waiting until they can fetch the highest price, almost certainly on the bay.  This aggression will not stand. 
Manuals needed: Airzonk
hu: MC, PCE: Zero Wing

TGX16

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2011, 07:30:32 AM »
The biggest problem (as I see it)on Ebay is not those big money BIN's...It's the fact that some fools acctuly pay them!
If no one accepted the high asking prices, price would eventuly go down but there are allways some stupid ass willing to pay top dollar for something they want.

alexsduo

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »
Yeah, I hear that... I would probably jump on a $600 BIN loose, or something like that, just to complete my collection...

I guess we need a Magical Chase Support Hotline.  So I can call in and speak with an operator how I want to spend on a copy of MC, and they can calm me down, and tell me that rent is more important, and eating what whatnot, and tell me that $300 is tops for a loose copy....
Manuals needed: Airzonk
hu: MC, PCE: Zero Wing