Author Topic: Stuck in Sorcerian Hell  (Read 2248 times)

sunteam_paul

Stuck in Sorcerian Hell
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:15:22 AM »
I got this for Christmas (mostly for the soundtrack) and only once have been able to get off of the menu screen and into the game!
I think I know (from some FAQs from other versions) what the options are, but I just can't get out into the levels again. I've got my characters and made the party...I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Anyone have a clue?
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Stuck in Sorcerian Hell
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:59:04 AM »
did you create AND organize your party?  Be sure to equip everyone.

Once you do that you go start the adventure. You can't do that unless you have an organized party, kinda like Ultima III on NES.

I've never played the PCE sorcerian, just the MSX one.  any chance of screenshots for the menus? We can see if they're the same, and maybe get you rollin'!

also, I want to see the PCE game in action.

:)
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:34:06 AM »
Here is the main screen.

I use the auto character to make up the 4 party members.

Then I use the bit on the left to put the members into a party.

This is the error I get. I've not equipped anyone but I don't see a way to do that (the time I got into the level before, I'm pretty sure I didn't visit the shops first or set professions)

I just felt in a hole!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:01:12 PM »
Create your party with the 3rd option down on the right
Add them with the 3rd option down on the left

Top left option starts the game.

5th option down is to go to town.

Heres the entire menu:

Begin Adventure   

View Party
Organize Party
Disband Party
Town

Save Characters

Quit
Advance time (1 year)

View Character
Create Character
Delete Character
Change Occupation

Load characters

Does that help at all?

You have to equip your team (send them to town one at a time) before going on your adventure.

Hope this helps

sunteam_paul

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:11:55 PM »
Here's where I am now.

I have created 4 characters (with the auto party option).
I have gone to town and purchased weapons/armour/robes as requied for each character.
I have put the characters into a party.

I still get the same error when trying to start the first level.

If it helps, here's a screen of one of my characters. I am assuming the light blue text is the weapons/armour equipped.

This game is in desperate need of a translation patch.

EDIT: AHA! I translated the error. It said there were too many members in my party - So I made a party of 3 and it worked!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:23:17 PM by sunteam_paul »
I just felt in a hole!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 11:34:45 PM »
Dammit, I was hoping I could tell you that!  Yeah, the first level requires 3 people(took me forever to figure that out bitd), though, beyond that, I couldn't figure the level out, did alot of running around, & ....yeah.  LMK how that level turns out, since I never did figure it out!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 12:04:58 AM »
doh.  I suppose I should have warned you about only making 3 people.

and yes, a translation of Sorcerian would be awesome.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 12:07:05 AM »
Hmm, I ran around the town, then into the dungeon. I found a potion or jar which unblocked a passage - this led to a door which threw me back outside.

After talking to everyone I have no idea how to complete the level. Running back to the entrance puts me in another screen of Japanese but the level isn't completed.

I may have to just treat this one as a music CD, it's massively difficult to work out.
I just felt in a hole!

sunteam_paul

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 05:07:39 AM »
Wohoo. Some very kind person emailed me the solution to my first level problem. Now I can give the game a real proper go.
I just felt in a hole!

CDJ

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 04:22:25 AM »
Wohoo. Some very kind person emailed me the solution to my first level problem. Now I can give the game a real proper go.

And here I am. I don't know what you did to the admin but it obviously worked, thanks.

Dammit, I was hoping I could tell you that!  Yeah, the first level requires 3 people(took me forever to figure that out bitd), though, beyond that, I couldn't figure the level out, did alot of running around, & ....yeah.  LMK how that level turns out, since I never did figure it out!

COPY & PASTE!

You can actually go up the mountain, which was a little tricky for me to figure out as well, since the PCEngine version's controls are pretty sloppy. Enter the first building on top of the mountain, give the medicine you found in the cave to the sick guy, after that you can enter the second building on the mountain, make your way to the end of the very linear dungeon, kill the dragon boss and after that, the quest is essentially completed, you'll have to walk all the way to the beginning of the level though. And don't forget to talk to everyone in town before leaving as you'll get some presents. (As far as I remember it's just money, not too sure.)

In the following screen you have the option to either equip the items found in this quest, to sell them or to have them examined. (None of your characters has the ability to examine items at this point...and as far as I remember you didn't really find any equippable items in this quest either so your only option would be selling them.) And while we're talking about items...most items aren't visibly presented as treasure chests and such, you'll find most items, (especially ingredients for healing items.) hidden on walls if you bump into them.

After you've finished the first quest, you'll get free selection over which one you want to tackle next.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 04:46:04 AM »
Glad you finally made in here, welcome!

I'm now about 4 levels in and enjoying it. There is something oddly appealing about Sorcerian. Despite the awkward control scheme and general gameplay many degrees worse than Ys 3, it does have a certain quality to it and feels like an adventure. Some of the background graphics are lovely and atmospheric (while others are a little basic) and the music helps a lot.

This has now been raised to my number 1 most wanted project to be translated. It really needs an English patch for people to get over the initial hurdles.
I just felt in a hole!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 05:38:19 AM »
Sorcerian is my favorite in the Dragon Slayer series for sure. 

It is a very atmospheric and well put together adventure game, even if some of the control aspects blow.

and yes, a translation is in order.

CDJ

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 11:46:59 PM »
This has now been raised to my number 1 most wanted project to be translated. It really needs an English patch for people to get over the initial hurdles.

There actually is an official US release, it was released for PC in 1990 by Sierra. I haven't played that version myself, (Though it's available for download free and legal.) but from what I can gather it's quests are loosely based on the original PC-8801 ones.

The music's horrible though.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 04:42:41 AM »
I keep seeing links for the download but they all appear to be broken. Still, it looks pretty ghastly, but it would be nice to know what's going on.
I just felt in a hole!

Digi.k

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »
Another thread brought back from the ashes.. know this is really old thread but I am kinda working on basic stuff...

Hope this is ok.  just let me know if any mistakes and I will amend.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:43:23 PM by Digi.k »