Author Topic: Looking for new power cord for TG16+CD Combo?  (Read 438 times)

gamemaster14

Looking for new power cord for TG16+CD Combo?
« on: July 08, 2005, 09:30:13 AM »
I have a turbo grafx 16 and CD connected together with the regular TGCD base unit. My power cord broke and I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a replacement. The cord is a very unique 11v power cord with a contact which is a little bigger then the normal TG16. None of the power cords from any other systems (snes, genesis, jaguar, atari) are the right voltage or even fit on. So I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a new power cord or a generic one that works? Thanks

NFERNO1

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 11:31:20 AM »
As far as I know, www.tzd.com still sells them new for about $10.

esteban

Re: Looking for new power cord for TG16+CD Combo?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 12:57:09 PM »
Quote from: "gamemaster14"
I have a turbo grafx 16 and CD connected together with the regular TGCD base unit. My power cord broke and I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a replacement. The cord is a very unique 11v power cord with a contact which is a little bigger then the normal TG16. None of the power cords from any other systems (snes, genesis, jaguar, atari) are the right voltage or even fit on. So I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a new power cord or a generic one that works? Thanks
Hi, I am sorry to report that this AC adapter is rather uncommon (not available from tzd). I've purchased a "broken" TG-CD off ebay just for spare parts (the AC adapter was the primary object of my desire).

Check the TG-16 / Duo FAQ... it has a section on how to select a suitable replacement AC adapter (I can't remember if it deals with TG-CD directly, but the general guidelines will be useful).
  |    | 

gamemaster14

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 04:19:44 PM »

The turbo grafx CD adaptor (the one that plugs into the base station that connects the TG16 and TGCD) is an 11V plug which has a larger hole then the TG16 plug. The regular 10.5V TG16 Plug wont fit on the TG16+TGCD system.

I will continue my search and continue posting on as many message boards so I can find this almost uber rare piece of hardware. Of course if anyone finds anything out please post here. Even if there is a generic cord that will work,

esteban

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 06:31:22 PM »

The turbo grafx CD adaptor (the one that plugs into the base station that connects the TG16 and TGCD) is an 11V plug which has a larger hole then the TG16 plug. The regular 10.5V TG16 Plug wont fit on the TG16+TGCD system.

I will continue my search and continue posting on as many message boards so I can find this almost uber rare piece of hardware. Of course if anyone finds anything out please post here. Even if there is a generic cord that will work,

From the Duo FAQ, you will find excellent advice on how to buy a replacement AC adapter (if you don't want to buy a broken TG-CD for parts, as I did):

TG+CD:
      Model:   HES-ACA-02
      Input:  120V AC 60HZ 24W
      Output: 11V DC 1.53A (1530 mA)
      Center plug is negative, the outer is positive.   

Model:   HES-ACA-03
      Input:    120V AC 60HZ 28W
      Output: 11V DC 1.53A (1530 mA)
      Center plug is negative, the outer is positive.

Note:  When buying replacement adaptors other than these recommended
          by the manufacturer, the general rule is:
              - Match the generic AC adaptor's DC voltage equal or as
          close as possible to the manufacturer's adaptor.
        - Make sure the generic adaptor's current rating (mA/A) is
          equal or higher than the manufacturer's adaptor.
        - Make sure the polarity matches!
  |    | 

gamemaster14

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 05:19:31 AM »
could you recommend a store or website where I could look for such a plus. I was looking at some of those generic ones but they do not go to 11v they are 9v or 12v but no in between.

zborgerd

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 05:13:23 PM »
could you recommend a store or website where I could look for such a plus. I was looking at some of those generic ones but they do not go to 11v they are 9v or 12v but no in between.

The internal circuitry probably has voltage regulators that will adjust it to 5V logic levels anyway.  I suspect that you could use 9-10 V without any problems.  Perhaps even 12 V.  Most electronics aren't really that particular about the DC voltage.  It really just depends though.

gamemaster14

still looking
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 08:27:14 AM »
After loosing an ebay auction that included a TGCD base unit, ac adaptor and a system card (went for $91) and going to radio shack with the specs and them not being able to find anything sutable for me I am kinda loosing hope at this point. Can anyone give me some more help on this. Any online stores that have some good adaptors? Any seller or store that sells anything even simular?

zborgerd

Re: still looking
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 06:01:52 PM »
After loosing an ebay auction that included a TGCD base unit, ac adaptor and a system card (went for $91) and going to radio shack with the specs and them not being able to find anything sutable for me I am kinda loosing hope at this point. Can anyone give me some more help on this. Any online stores that have some good adaptors? Any seller or store that sells anything even simular?

I don't think that there is much more help that can be given.  You simply have to take a risk with an AC adapter that isn't quite to spec.   Shouldn't matter too much, honestly, as long as it is within a volt of the original and can handle the current requirements.

twor2005

Re: Looking for new power cord for TG16+CD Combo?
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 09:45:30 PM »

I always thought the Turbo 16 and CD used the same power cord, even though my CD oddly  came with another. I'm quite sure of this. Are you?

gamemaster14

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 07:30:16 AM »
The standard TG16 Plug is 10.5v and the tip will not fit into the TGCD Base Station. It can power the CD system to just play music cds when hooked to a sound system but it wont work on the TGCD base station that hooks the TG16 and TGCD together to play cd games. The TGCD AC Adaptor is 11v and has a larger tip.