Author Topic: Supergrafx "Power console"  (Read 712 times)

cozzie

Supergrafx "Power console"
« on: July 12, 2005, 05:40:49 AM »
Does anyone on this board actually own the Power console. I know it is as rare as hens teeth but I remember a few years back seeing one on Yahoo Japan.
I really would love to get one.

KingDrool

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 05:43:58 AM »
Never heard of it, actually.  What's the difference?  Difference casing, color, etc.?
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

cozzie

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 08:03:18 AM »
It was a hugh add on for the Supergrafx I have some pictures of it if any wants me to send them pm me.

twor2005

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 09:50:41 AM »
I'm still confused. What did it do as an add on exactly?

cozzie

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 08:38:19 PM »
It connected over the top of the supergrafx it was a mega controller it was going to be used for driving and flying games.
The thing was hugh. Check this picture out http://assembler.roarvgm.com/Supergrafx/supergrafx.html

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 07:08:17 AM »
I was about to post a link about this (I believe the Turbo2k site has some info on it in the hardware section). Anyways, no I don't own one and I didn't know they were as expensive and rare as that page you linked claimed! I think I remember reading before that it was a proto, like the link mentioned.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

twor2005

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 07:28:21 AM »
I wonder why they thought it should fit over the console instead of just plugging in? They finally found a way to get rid of the controller cable completely  :lol:

So any word on what this is made for? Battle Heat?

cozzie

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 07:44:49 AM »
Afterburner was going to be one of the fist games to make use of it before it was canned along with the game.

kstyle251

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 10:45:50 AM »
My brother had contact with the proto holder in Japan about a year and a half ago but the guy wanted so much money for it  that it just wasn't justifiable.  He wanted somewhere around 5000 us dollars for it.  Not that it's not worth it since it was the only one to survive , but thats a lot of money.

akamichi

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 02:28:24 PM »
Back in 1999/2000, I remember seeing one of these go for ~$500 on yahoo auctions.  That was the one and only time I saw it.

I never really understood the purpose of the Power Console.  When I first saw it, I thought it looked cool, but it was announced and shown at the same time the SuperGrafx was unveiled.  They only announced like 2 games for the SGX at that point (Battle Ace and Daimakaimura).

It was clear that the Power Console was intended to be used with Battle Ace at that time.  It also cost more than the SGX itself which was pretty expensive already.

I don't know how many actually exist (or existed), but I wouldn't be surprised if there were only 1 or 2 of them made.  However, it was supposed to be released at the same time as Battle Ace and from what I remember, it was never really cancelled.  It was pushed back to the point where it was never shipped.  So there might be a warehouse full of them somewhere! :)

kstyle251

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 04:54:33 PM »
there were 6 made 4mockups and 2 functioning.  )not counting the prototypes that might exist).

cozzie

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 08:01:36 PM »
How do you know 6 where made?

kstyle251

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 10:41:19 AM »
sorry, should have given that info as well.  This is not first hand knowledge so take it for what it's worth in that it's from my brother who is one of the best collectors I know and actually was in the guys house in Japan.  My bro tracked down where to find this guy a long time ago.  He traded emails with the guy for a time and set it up so that when he was in Japan he could meet up and see the unit.  Didn't wanna pay thousands when he hadn't even seen it in person.  While there he had his friend help him translate as there was obviously a bit of language barrier as indicated in the emails.  From his account the owner was the second owner, the first being a higher up from NEC that actually wasn't associated with the gaming but more the PC side I believe.  The big wig had been so interested in the device though that when it was canned he grabbed one of the working models and one of the mock ups.  The others were to stored.  He stayed with the company through the fall of NEC  gaming.  When they went down he asked for some more things that had been put away years earlier but was told that everything had already been trashed.  My brother ended up not being able to talk the second owner down in price and couldn't afford to pay the over 5000.00 asked.  The second owner said that the original guy still has the mock up to his knowledge.  

Thats the best I can do from what I remember.  If you want to you can email my bro at KDavis25**at**comcast.net and maybe he can tell you more.  It'll be prob a few weeks before he gets back to you as he's still in Florida but I'm house sitting for him and will make sure he knows about it when he gets back.

hope that helps some.

cozzie

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 08:22:41 PM »
I would like the guys email adress in Japan, I would be definatley be interested in buying it from him. You say the guy who owned it originaly was an Nec employee Do you have his name?

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 10:35:27 PM »
Go for it, cozzie! If you ever did manage to own it somehow, please post detailed pictures of it if you have a camera of any sort to do so!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).