Author Topic: 3x3 Eyes Intro  (Read 544 times)

akamichi

3x3 Eyes Intro
« on: July 14, 2005, 02:30:01 AM »
Hi all,

I recorded and encoded the intro to 3x3 Eyes, both SCD and ACD versions, for everyone to compare.

If you're interested in checking it out, I made a tiny page with the videos here:

http://pcengine.kicks-ass.net/~dfw/

If anybody wants to mirror it, go ahead.  I think my connection and server can handle the load though... (famous last words?? :P)

Keranu

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 03:31:00 AM »
Appereantly I don't have the right codecs to play this. Where can I download them to view it properly? Also there is like a 20mb size different between the SCD and ACD versions... must really be something big :D .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

akamichi

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 03:58:07 AM »
Man, sorry about that.  I'm not sure what the exact codecs are.  I think DivX5 should work.  I'll have to try it on my Windows box to make sure.

BTW, the 20MB difference is because of... the load times!  :P  Sad, but true.

If somebody knows some better ways of encoding, (codecs, size reduction, etc) please let me know.  I'm still new at all this. :)

edit:  Ok, I used FFMPEG to encode, which is apparently a version of mpeg4 that's different from MS MPEG4 and DivX5... although all three are mpeg4 based.  If anybody can get ahold of ffmpeg .dlls (or ffmpeg based player) for windows then the files should play fine.  In the meantime, I'm going to re-encode with a more common format.

Sorry for the confusion.

Keranu

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 03:41:15 PM »
I just saw and WOW! I am truely impressed! 3x3 Eyes for the PCE SCD/ACD has got to have the best looking cinemas in 16-bit CD game. The normal SCD version only looked awesome enough and the ACD version was even better because of more frames as you said, along with faster speed and CD sound in parts. Thanks a lot for recording this!

By the way, for Windows users that want to view this but can't, first go here and download the Windows release, then go here and download what says "Installer including MeWiG,MPlayer-NoCss and OGMTools (complete)".

What were with those long loading screens for the ACD version? I thought ACD was supposed to load faster, haha. It seemed like the SCD version would load different parts while the cinemas were going and the ACD version just loaded it all at once on one big loading screen.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

akamichi

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 04:17:43 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
What were with those long loading screens for the ACD version? I thought ACD was supposed to load faster, haha. It seemed like the SCD version would load different parts while the cinemas were going and the ACD version just loaded it all at once on one big loading screen.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  In this case, the arcade card _adds_ load time! hehe.

Well, I re-encoded the intros again.  This time I halved the size of the video and they should now work with Windows Media Player.  

Enjoy!

Keranu

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 03:45:10 AM »
Did you record this off of an actual system or off an emulator?

akamichi

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 06:42:17 AM »
Everything was captured using my Duo-R.

Keranu

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 06:44:48 AM »
Ah, okay. I downloaded the new formats and deleted the old ones. Saved me a lot of space, heh.

NeoFreak

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 10:54:52 AM »
wow, i just checked those out. just to get this straight...the cutscenes were boosted from just the addition of the ACD card? its the same exact 3x3 eyes cd but when you replace the SCD card with an ACD card, it makes those improvements?

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

TR0N

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 01:51:35 PM »
Pretty cool i wouldn't mind trying, 3x3 eyes on my Duo.

Problem is there's no walk through for it.

To bad nobody could do a... fan translation of this :wink:  :wink:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

akamichi

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 08:57:41 PM »
Quote from: "NeoFreak"
wow, i just checked those out. just to get this straight...the cutscenes were boosted from just the addition of the ACD card? its the same exact 3x3 eyes cd but when you replace the SCD card with an ACD card, it makes those improvements?

That's correct.  3x3 Eyes is just one of the SCD/ACD "hybrid" games out there.  There was recent thread about the hybrid stuff you might want to check out if you haven't already.

Out of the hybrid games I've played, 3x3 Eyes seems to be the only one to have used the AC to add more content rather than just to keep more of the game in memory.  As a game, it looks to be a rather long digital comic.  I played the game for a while just randomly choosing options and got a ways into the game.  I don't know if there are any wrong choices because it seemed that eventually you'll choose the right option and proceed.

twor2005

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 09:11:37 PM »
Excellent work! And the difference in animation is clear too, I was expecting to not be able to tell. As for all that loading at the beginning, at least things seemed to flow more smoothly as a result with less loading in the middle.

It does seem like ACDs would have more loading time. I mean there's more to load right? The drive and the CPU aren't any faster.

3x3 eyes was a pretty popular anime at one time. We should start hitting up the fan communities of these various animes for translations instead of video gamers. They already translate and many of them are probably technically adapt as well.

Keranu

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2005, 09:40:34 PM »
Hey that's not such a bad idea. I really want to play this game too, but Japanese language kills a good digital comic.

NeoFreak

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 01:52:11 AM »
As a game, it looks to be a rather long digital comic. I played the game for a while just randomly choosing options and got a ways into the game. I don't know if there are any wrong choices because it seemed that eventually you'll choose the right option and proceed.

would you say it's like something along the lines of Snatcher?

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

Keranu

3x3 Eyes Intro
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 02:26:19 AM »
I haven't played it, but I know it's a digital comic game, which is what Snatcher is also, so they are pretty similar in gameplay.