Author Topic: New to TurboGrafx  (Read 538 times)

YoshiFtJ

New to TurboGrafx
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:49:11 AM »
I just got my console today. I got two copies of Neutopia and a copy of Neutopia II, an RF switch and a controller.

What do you suggest I get? Games, accessories, etc.

What is this I hear about a File Cabinet? Is that an memory card type of expansion?
Current Collection: 2 Games

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: New to TurboGrafx
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 07:06:50 AM »
I just got my console today. I got two copies of Neutopia and a copy of Neutopia II, an RF switch and a controller.

Congratulations and welcome aboard.  Those two titles are a good place from which to start building a collection.

What do you suggest I get? Games, accessories, etc.

It depends; what type of games do you prefer?

What is this I hear about a File Cabinet? Is that an memory card type of expansion?

Outside of Neutopia and its sequel, I don't think that term is used, but it saves your progress to the internal memory found in the TurboBooster+, CD interface unit, and Duos.  Without one of these upgrades, you'll have to instead contend with the password system.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

YoshiFtJ

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:01:35 AM »
Congratulations and welcome aboard.  Those two titles are a good place from which to start building a collection.

Why thank you, glad to be here.

It depends; what type of games do you prefer?

Hm. I like almost all games. I am mostly fond of RPGs and a good side-scroller. Also action games like Blazing Lazers and Contra. But yeah, almost all games.

Outside of Neutopia and its sequel, I don't think that term is used, but it saves your progress to the internal memory found in the TurboBooster+, CD interface unit, and Duos.  Without one of these upgrades, you'll have to instead contend with the password system.

Oh, so I am stuck with the password system? I do want to pick up the CD attachment, gotta find one.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:43:50 AM »
Since you're not picky about genres, you can't go wrong with any of these:

Shmups - Air Zonk, Blazing Lazers, Dead Moon, Galaga '90, Soldier Blade, Super Star Soldier
Platformer - Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure (pricey), New Adventure Island, Ninja Spirit, Splatterhouse
RPG - Order of the Griffon (the only straight up RPG on the TG-16)
Other - Alien Crush, Bomberman '93, Devil's Crush, Dungeon Explorer, Military Madness, Parasol Stars, Time Cruise

P.S. - When (if) you either get your TG-16 region modded or get a region converter, you'll have a much larger HuCard library to choose from.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

YoshiFtJ

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:14:26 AM »
Sorry for the noob question, but how does one region mod their console?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 10:15:11 AM »
Quote from: Necromancer
RPG - Order of the Griffon (the only straight up RPG on the TG-16)

To an extent, double dungeons is.  Its alot like an early to mid 80s CRPG. (Wizardry).  Even though you only get one character to control.

As far as getting CD-ROM systems, you really want a Duo of some kind.   Don't bother with the TG-CD if you don't have to.  If you have to, make sure to get one thats from someone who knew what they were doing and replaced the internals :D.  Otherwise you might get a dud that breaks down on you in no time.  They're kinda unreliable.  Its the nature of old-ass CD-ROM equipment.

Though, You'll also need the system 3.0 card (pricey) if you want to play Super CD-ROM games!  The only way around the pricey US card, is if you region mod your TG and get the extremely cheap Japanese version of the card.

and as far as Duo's go, avoid the black one unless its confirmed that the one you are buying has been repaired/serviced by someone.  They have audio problems, and it would be lame to get it and have it wack out on you.

The Duo-R and Duo-RX from Japan are the best thing around as far as a CD system.  Reliable, built in System card 3, and plays Japanese games :).  You can sometimes find them domestically on forums, but if not, importing one will cost you about as much as getting a TG-CD unit and System Card 3.

Have a Japanese Duo and your US TG-16 and you can play everything!

since, CD-ROM games are not region specific.  They work on any system. 

You add a switch inside the console and do some re-routing of the pins on the hucard connector.  Theres a schematic for it, but if you're not comfortable soldering, its better to have someone who is, do it for you :)

or skip it and get a Japanese Duo!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:17:42 AM by Arkhan »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

offsidewing

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:57:15 PM »
Turbo Grafx is a hell of a drug.  I've tried to quit twice.

Welcome to the forums!

YoshiFtJ

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 05:19:52 AM »
I will definitely look into the Duo's. I do want to play a bunch of Japanese games (I am also a Japanese Saturn game collector so I've seen a lot what they have to offer) so buying one sounds like a good idea.

turbogrfxfan

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 07:24:14 AM »
hey whats up. pcenginefx is the place to be.  yeah man, Since I was a kid instead of modding my system cause I want everything original I use a converter and a japanese arcade pro card.  Its the most simple and you dont mess things up.  The arcade pro card will run ya around 40-50 bucks and if ya go to telegames.co.uk. you can get a converter for like like sixty bucks on sale.ha ha ha Oh yeah ya need the cd system as well
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:27:22 AM by turbogrfxfan »
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

esteban

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 10:12:08 AM »
Welcome, Yoshi :)

I will definitely look into the Duo's. I do want to play a bunch of Japanese games (I am also a Japanese Saturn game collector so I've seen a lot what they have to offer) so buying one sounds like a good idea.

First, the good news:

1) With the TG-16, you can play a bunch of inexpensive North American HuCard games. It's totally worth it. :)

2) When you have the $$$, you can buy a Japanese CD system (i.e. DUO-R, or a refurbished console from trusted community member) and play all CD format games (there is no region lock-out) and all Japanese HuCards.

3) We can help, so ask as many questions as you want.

Now, the bad news:
Turbo Grafx is a hell of a drug.  I've tried to quit twice.

Truth.

|    | 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »

well if youre hip to importing, you should be able to find a pretty cheap duo-r.  Check RisingStuff.com, or yahoo.jp.    With a bit of patience you can find a 60$ one also :)

YoshiFtJ

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »
Guess it is time to hit up Yahoo auctions. This is always fun...

So I tried to find a copy of Bonk 3 online, but I couldn't even find the USA one. I found a Japanese copy for $100 or so.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 03:08:48 PM »
Guess it is time to hit up Yahoo auctions. This is always fun...

So I tried to find a copy of Bonk 3 online, but I couldn't even find the USA one. I found a Japanese copy for $100 or so.

ah.... yeah.  thats rough.

Im sure if you post around you will find a duo-r on a forum and may not even need to go overseas!

Opethian

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 04:22:04 PM »
Hey Yoshi, glad you liked it.  :dance:

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

TR0N

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »

If you don't know electronics there people here like this that can do it.
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=7287.0

Though if you ask me converters are a waste and over priced to boot.Years ago i got,my duo-r and TG16 region modded and now i can play my u.s and jpn hucards on either console.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec