Author Topic: Turbo Express buttons unresponsive  (Read 252 times)

aapljack

Turbo Express buttons unresponsive
« on: April 19, 2010, 03:58:22 AM »
The video and audio on my Turbo Express went out a while ago. I only recently found this site and learned about both the audio and video fix. I was able to pick up a new cap for the video fix and got that done yesterday and the video works great.

Once I had closed it back up and tried to play it, I discovered neither of the buttons (I or II) were working. Run, Select and the D-pad all work. In the process of trying a few games, button II started to work and I could play R-Type, but button I continued to be unresponsive.

I opened it back up and swabbed the contacts with a little rubbing alcohol. I did the same to the contacts on the turbo switch. This did not help. My button II still has to 'warm up' before it starts working and button I just doesn't work.

Is there anything else I can try? Would using a contact cleaner like DeoxIT work better?

I am so close to having a functioning TE again. I hope I can get the buttons working. Thanks for the help.

-brian

Duo_R

Re: Turbo Express buttons unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »
You find some residue under the button I and II? IT is possible that the PCB there corroded, and no longer making good connection. The best solution I have is to replace the I and II with a new "button" but I have only done this with a run button. Red Ghost and I were just talking about this process that I came up with to fix Run buttons, could also be done with the I and II buttons with some work.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:54:01 AM »
Have you tried cleaning the button itself (the rubber contact, not the pcb)?  Perhaps they're a bit dirty or the conductive coating is worn off, which can be fixed with a fresh dab of conductive paint.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

aapljack

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:07:38 PM »
Have you tried cleaning the button itself (the rubber contact, not the pcb)?  Perhaps they're a bit dirty or the conductive coating is worn off, which can be fixed with a fresh dab of conductive paint.

Thanks for the idea. I will try both, if necessary. Is rubbing alcohol ok to use as a cleaner for the pcb and the button? Or should I get some actual contact cleaner?

Duo_R

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »
Rubbing alcohol is fine, just don't use like 90% rubbing alcohol without diluting it with a little water.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq