Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 65203 times)

Michael Helgeson

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #450 on: April 04, 2007, 05:46:47 PM »
WWF Wrestlefest arcade game pcb, King of Fighters 2003 MVS.

termis

« Reply #451 on: April 06, 2007, 06:46:51 PM »
Galaxy Deka Gayvan.  Goddamn this game sucks.  I decided to try it out after reading some positive reviews on this beat-em up, but a friend and I couldn't stand it for more than 20 minutes.  Plays something like Battletoads (which I liked), without any up-down movements and a crappy list of moves.  Ugh...

Gates of Thunder.  Call me a hater, but I honestly don't see why this game is held in such high regards.  I personally feel that a lot of other "16-bit shooters" around this era beats the hell out of this game.  Overall, it's a good shooter for sure with good graphics and music, but the weapon system is pretty weak, the bosses aren't that impressive, and not that challenging overall.  I just don't think it's up to par with shooters like LoT, Spriggan, Gaires, TF3-4, etc, etc.

Sapphire.  Probably the best damn looking game on the Duo.  I still don't think it's the best shooter on this system, but definitely top 3 or 4.

Keranu

« Reply #452 on: April 06, 2007, 07:14:27 PM »
Galaxy Deka Gayvan.  Goddamn this game sucks.  I decided to try it out after reading some positive reviews on this beat-em up, but a friend and I couldn't stand it for more than 20 minutes.  Plays something like Battletoads (which I liked), without any up-down movements and a crappy list of moves.  Ugh...
Sucks to hear this, I've been really wanting to play this game for a few years. I generally don't hear much about it, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect but the screenshots look cool. Thanks for clarifying that it had no up and down movement, I was always wondering if it did or not.

Quote from: thumpin_thermis
Gates of Thunder.  Call me a hater, but I honestly don't see why this game is held in such high regards.  I personally feel that a lot of other "16-bit shooters" around this era beats the hell out of this game.  Overall, it's a good shooter for sure with good graphics and music, but the weapon system is pretty weak, the bosses aren't that impressive, and not that challenging overall.  I just don't think it's up to par with shooters like LoT, Spriggan, Gaires, TF3-4, etc, etc.
GoT took me awhile to fully appreciate it, now I think it's way up there as one of the best shooters ever made. Though it was definitely on the easy side, the action was consistent and didn't leave you bored, especially during parts of the level where the speed increases.

The level progression, in my opinion, is what really crushed other shooters at the time. In a level like 6, you fly over a spectacular city scape, shift down into a corridor with gigantic missles filling up the screen launching at you, blaze through a secret underground passage and eventually make your way into an eerie water drainage room where you face a ED-209 knock off - it's fascinating to the max.

I'd also like to quickly comment on the weapon system. Though it's not much, it's really all you need. A game like Thunder Force gives you a nice variety of weapons, but Gates gives you the three weapons you'll only need and it makes cycling through weapons a lot easier. On top of that, the three weapons themselves look pretty cool.  8)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #453 on: April 06, 2007, 08:02:22 PM »
Galaxy Fight on NeoGeo MVS. Beat it with Gunter.
Samurai Showdown 3 MVS.
Mega Race 1 and 2 PC.
Quake 1 PC.

FM-77

« Reply #454 on: April 06, 2007, 11:23:46 PM »
I'm currently playing Mysterious Dungeon 2 SFC. Damn that roguelike! I love starting over from the VERY beginning every time you die. :D

gundarN

« Reply #455 on: April 07, 2007, 12:35:26 AM »
I'm still working through Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

Quality.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: April 07, 2007, 07:07:29 PM »
Currently suffering through Exile: WP - nice hit detection, ya bunch of bastards.

Galaxy Fight on NeoGeo MVS. Beat it with Gunter.
Samurai Showdown 3 MVS.
Mega Race 1 and 2 PC.
Quake 1 PC.
Love the NIN in Quake.  :)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

TJ

« Reply #457 on: April 09, 2007, 08:33:36 AM »
I haven't been here in months! How's everybody?

Recently played through Zelda: Twilight Princess on the GC and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin on the DS. Never did get around to finishing Okami yet. Currently playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the X360. And waiting for PCE Tengai Makyo and Download to show up in the mail. :)

Keranu

« Reply #458 on: April 09, 2007, 09:50:26 AM »
Whoa, long time no see, TJ. How are 'ya?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

« Reply #459 on: April 09, 2007, 11:17:27 AM »
I started on Gunman's Proof (SFC) last night and finished it today. Short game, but kind of fun.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #460 on: April 09, 2007, 11:42:13 AM »
thanks to Keranu, after 3 years of collecting dust out of fear of the language barrier, I'm finally making progress on Fuun Kabuki Den. Currently in Sagano village leveling up. Can't wait to get to London where there's kana to read. I'll also be putting up my boss battles on YouTube. Playing this has also become a somewhat educational experience too, picking up some new Japanese words here and there, actually SEEING the characters while hearing them get spoken.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:46:06 AM by Ninja Spirit »

Kitsunexus

« Reply #461 on: April 09, 2007, 12:18:28 PM »
I'm playing Light Crusader for the Genesis, developed by Treasure. I'm slowly finding out why I've never heard of this game before. It's a really slow plodding ARPG where you can't skip the conversations!  #-o

The production is top notch, it's just really boring. I give it a 7.

TR0N

« Reply #462 on: April 09, 2007, 03:17:50 PM »
I'm playing Light Crusader for the Genesis, developed by Treasure. I'm slowly finding out why I've never heard of this game before. It's a really slow plodding ARPG where you can't skip the conversations!  #-o

Not one of Treasure best i use to play it alot on the sega channel.

Still it's puzzles can drive any body crazy.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #463 on: April 09, 2007, 04:09:31 PM »
No gaming today,building yet another Supergun.

FM-77

« Reply #464 on: April 09, 2007, 09:13:04 PM »

Dude, this game rules. One of the best puzzle games I have played. It's a dungeon crawler and you never have to talk to people again. Easily Treasure's best game.