Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 63456 times)

GUTS

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #510 on: May 05, 2007, 06:17:55 PM »
Macross is the absolute best shooter on SNES by miles, nothing else except maybe R-Type III even comes close.  That game rules.

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #511 on: May 06, 2007, 08:22:35 PM »
It has horrific translation, I almost feel like turning the damn thing off every time I win.  The screen says "congratulation"  I mean seriously!

Probably not a good sign.....

I think it is a good sign as all good SNK games have awful translations!  The original Card Fighters had an awful translation as well, it was impossible to decipher any of the abilities of a card until you used them for the first time.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #512 on: May 08, 2007, 04:09:39 AM »
I'm pretty bummed out right now.

Made an unsuccessful and aggravating attempt at making a video to put on YouTube trying to finish off Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie (Super Famicom) from stage 4 and up. Stages 4 and 6 are the brick walls because it's one of those shooter stages with high speed scrolling and tight spaces and boss battles just drag on and on and on.
So, have you made another attempt? I've always heard good things about this game, but I've never played it.

Not for real, but I used emulation as a training tool, using save states for the stages I've had the most trouble with, especially 4.

You should really pick this shooter up, got it for $50 from Carlson/16 bit. It's like R-Type, memorization is the key. This is also a total rip off of the Darius series, as it has that force field that can convert enemies to helpers.

It's a tough game cause it's practically easy to get caught off guard by enemies as they swoop in pretty damn fast from all angles. Again I also stress out that boss battles get kinda tiresome, the kind that after good long while of fighting, it makes you scream "DIE GODDAMMIT!!" at the TV screen and get a burst of relief just from watching it explode.

In fact here's someone else's vid of Macross Scrambled Valkyrie beaten in 60 seconds :p

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 04:14:28 AM by Ninja Spirit »

Tatsujin

« Reply #513 on: May 12, 2007, 06:27:58 PM »
super mario land GB
contra arcade DS
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

« Reply #514 on: May 13, 2007, 05:11:11 PM »
Joust - 2600
Combat -2600
Kaboom! - 2600

Summary: Excellent, fun, yay! I had never played my 2600 through speakers + subwoofer before... it sounded somewhat goofy, but I'll be doing it again in the future. Kaboom!

And on my phone:
Bonk's Return - Goddam! The ice level has a tricky jump! The controls on cell phones suck!
Might & Magic - Why do I continue to buy games for my phone? This is fun, though.
Scrabble Blast - I can't beat my top scores, so I am frustrated. I wish you were ranked by a formula that could include score + elapsed time, because then I could have some wiggle room. Shame on the developers for not implementing this feature.

|    | 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #515 on: May 13, 2007, 05:34:59 PM »
Been playing SVC Chaos for my 16-bit Neo Geo AES system.  This 16-bit game is great, but the last boss is really cheap.  There is also some other cheap dude who keeps throwing tornadoes at you again and again.  That's all he does!  It is obviously an SNK character since Capcom characters are better and more balanced (and have more than 1 or 2 moves).

I also beat Fatal Fury 2 for my 16-bit Neo Geo AES.  It pretty much sucks.  The dual-layer thing is retarded.  I couldn't even figure out how to switch layers, or even why I'd want to in the first place.  The graphics are pretty bad in a lot of places.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #516 on: May 14, 2007, 02:48:53 AM »
Been playing SVC Chaos for my 16-bit Neo Geo AES system.  This 16-bit game is great, but the last boss is really cheap.  There is also some other cheap dude who keeps throwing tornadoes at you again and again.  That's all he does!  It is obviously an SNK character since Capcom characters are better and more balanced (and have more than 1 or 2 moves).

I also beat Fatal Fury 2 for my 16-bit Neo Geo AES.  It pretty much sucks.  The dual-layer thing is retarded.  I couldn't even figure out how to switch layers, or even why I'd want to in the first place.  The graphics are pretty bad in a lot of places.

1. You don't have to advertise that the Neo is 16-bit, because we all know that (although see number 2). Saying it over and over just makes you sound pretentious.

2. It's not even true that it's a 16-bit system. It's not a 24-bit system. The proper way to refer to it is to say "The Neo·Geo is a system with a 16-bit processor and an 8-bit processor".

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #517 on: May 14, 2007, 08:11:34 AM »
1. You don't have to advertise that the Neo is 16-bit, because we all know that (although see number 2). Saying it over and over just makes you sound pretentious.

Why are you even saying this?  I know there is a heat wave across most of the country and it is hard to keep cool, but in this situation I just grab me a lemonade!  8)

2. It's not even true that it's a 16-bit system. It's not a 24-bit system. The proper way to refer to it is to say "The Neo·Geo is a system with a 16-bit processor and an 8-bit processor".

By the time you say that whole line to someone they will have fallen asleep though.  :shock:

My opinion of SVC Chaos is that is sucks complete donkey dick.  I love the artwork and back-and-forth between characters before a battle, but my god, the game is almost as unbalanced as MvC 2.

That's s shame, Fatal Fury 2 (and Special which is just an improved remix of 2) is a very solid game if you can get past the graphics.  Really nice game balance and everything.  Of all the early SNK fighters it has stood the test of time the best.

Kaboom! - 2600

I really want to play Kaboom! again but every set of Atari 2600 paddles that I have ever owned have broken the instant I have looked at them.  Kaboom! is a truly awesome game, maybe even Activision's finest during an era where they made nothing but good games.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #518 on: May 14, 2007, 09:46:45 AM »

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! The proper way to refer to it is simply "Neo·Geo".  If they don't understand, then that's when the beat down begins.  Be sure to toss in a few "100 Mega Shocks" and "Giga Powers" while you're explaining the Neo·Geo with your fists.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

offsidewing

« Reply #519 on: May 14, 2007, 11:19:08 AM »
**and I hold my breath**

Kitsunexus

« Reply #520 on: May 14, 2007, 11:25:56 AM »
I really want to play Kaboom! again but every set of Atari 2600 paddles that I have ever owned have broken the instant I have looked at them.  Kaboom! is a truly awesome game, maybe even Activision's finest during an era where they made nothing but good games.

The Atari 800 version is the PWNAGE.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #521 on: May 14, 2007, 11:47:11 AM »
Quote from: Necromancer

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! The proper way to refer to it is simply "Neo·Geo".  If they don't understand, then that's when the beat down begins.  Be sure to toss in a few "100 Mega Shocks" and "Giga Powers" while you're explaining the Neo·Geo with your fists.

I agree.  I was shocked by 100 Megas in Fatal Fury 2.  Didn't shock me quite as much as the 8 megas that were in the Genesis STrider, though.  Seriously, that two-layered thing pisses me off.  And it seems Fatal Fury's special moves are all backwards from Capcom games... on purpose!  SvC Chaos definitely has better control than Fatal Fury 2.  Hell the PC Engine ACD version has better control than the 16-bit Neo Geo version.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 11:48:57 AM by Joe Redifer »

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #522 on: May 14, 2007, 04:45:49 PM »
SvC Chaos definitely has better control than Fatal Fury 2.  Hell the PC Engine ACD version has better control than the 16-bit Neo Geo version.

SvC probably has better controls, the earlier Neo fighters tend to be crusty mustard.  But if you compare the original Fatal Fury with Fatal Fury 2, you'll notice a marked improvement!

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #523 on: May 14, 2007, 05:04:33 PM »
Weird,I never have any issues on FF2,even when it was released and I was in my early teens. Really don't have issues with Fatal Fury 1 either.

TR0N

« Reply #524 on: May 14, 2007, 07:01:52 PM »
PCE
Steam Hearts
Star Parodia

GB/BC player
Drill Dozer

Wii/VC
Legend of the Mystical Ninja

PS2
Raiden III